Recent Pass Labs and Wilson Sophia 3

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
If you want I have 2*5 6h30 dr, and 6550 tungsol, black and grey plate, nos...

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Are they fake ones haha! Just referencing the previous post...

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
The volume with my ARC LS 28 is more or less the same as yours, 19 - 22/23 . Due to the high gain of ARC preamplifiers I sent an email to Pass Labs before buying the 250.8, and the suggestion was:

"I understand, but as I recall the Ls28 was pretty glorious with the SE output which has a gain that is 6dB lower than the balacned out.

I would leave the jumpers in on the X250.8 XLR and run the amp single ended. The XLR jumper maintains the balanced architecture of the X250.8, by simply referencing the inverted input to ground. And in doing so gives up very little to full differential output. As such the greater volume control range may offset the lack of full balanced input, you'll just have to listen and judge."

....and it is what I've been done.

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
If you have the possibility to get a ref5se, your problem will be solved. And than I can sell you my fakes 6h30dr..:)

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
In the meantime... I bought the X250.8 and with my ARC LS28 + Sophia 3 I can say it is a great match. Music flows in a very natural way, I'm very satisfied about the final result.

About cables: for speakers the Purist Audio Aqueous, for electronics a mix of VDH The First metal screen, Accuphase ALC-15, Audio Technica..

Here is my "final" setup:

View attachment 50525 View attachment 50526
I’m glad you are happy. You have a great combination. My Xa 30.5 with my Sasha sounded good. Even better with my Xa 100.8. Pass Labs work well with Wilson’s. Enjoy.

John.W

Oct 14, 2020
Hi all, I just bought a pair of Pass Labs X600 monoblocks to drive my Sophia 3. My friend loaned me his Moon P3 preamp while I'm looking for either a Pass Labs or Audio Research preamp. My system sounds very transparent but I feel listening fatigue after 30 mins at a reasonably loud volume. I'm suspecting maybe X600 monos are an overkill for the Sophia 3? Will an Audio Research or Pass Labs preamp solve this issue?

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hi all, I just bought a pair of Pass Labs X600 monoblocks to drive my Sophia 3. My friend loaned me his Moon P3 preamp while I'm looking for either a Pass Labs or Audio Research preamp. My system sounds very transparent but I feel listening fatigue after 30 mins at a reasonably loud volume. I'm suspecting maybe X600 monos are an overkill for the Sophia 3? Will an Audio Research or Pass Labs preamp solve this issue?

Hi John and all,
during these months I changed my setup and I found a good step forward in listening with a McIntosh C70 preamplifier. For me is an ending game.
I know it can sounds like an heresy coupling Mc with Pass, but the results in my room and setup are excellent.

It was started like a joke because a friend of mine asked to try my Arc LS28 for a week or two, and he gave me his Mc C2500. After that, I ordered a C70 for me.
So my suggestion is to give McIntosh a listening chance, maybe you have some dealer or friend who owns a C2600, C2700 or C70 tube preamp.
And I will be glad to read your impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: olivier

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I’m trying Pass XP 22 pre with my Pass Xa 100.8 driving my sasha. Please try repositioning speakers before doing anything else.
I tried AR Ref 6 but did not like the coloration . I find the Xp 22 excellent. But knowing Wilson Speakers one really needs to follow WASP which you will find in the manual. Thereafter try diffusers at first reflections on side walls.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I'm using ACR Ref 6, Pass Labs X-350.8 and Sophia 3, the system work real good. My Pass amp has a lot of power to handle my Sophia 3, which is easy to drive. And I'm interested to upgrade to Sophia 3 to Sasha 2, but I'm unable to make my decision because my listening area is small, I'm worrying there are too much bass. My listening has 10' x 22' (From my ear to the speaker only has 7 to 8 feet). Any input?
I used Sasha speakers in a small room with no bass issues. I had bass problems when I moved them to a bigger room. But that’s resolved with some room treatment and speaker position using WASP

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
In the meantime... I bought the X250.8 and with my ARC LS28 + Sophia 3 I can say it is a great match. Music flows in a very natural way, I'm very satisfied about the final result.

About cables: for speakers the Purist Audio Aqueous, for electronics a mix of VDH The First metal screen, Accuphase ALC-15, Audio Technica..

Here is my "final" setup:

View attachment 50525 View attachment 50526
Very nice set up

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing