Recently arrived - Audiopax Model 5 preamp

User211

Jul 28, 2014
I went to see Silvio (Audiopax) in Rio.

TBH the speakers he makes are fabulous. Tom if you ever get the chance check them out. Maybe a holiday in Rio is in order;)

The front baffle of Silvio's speaker is made with an amazing laminate. Very impressive when you see how it is constructed.

Reactions: hogen

Nascimento

Aug 13, 2016
Brasil
..... I come across people who tell me they love their Tannoys with 8w of single ended whatever; I never quite know what to make of this as any time I've tried it I've been disappointed. But each to their own and I suppose it was keeping an open mind on the topic that allowed me finally arrive at the Silvercores. I'd like to know how they measure, for curiosity, but Christoph doesn't publish anything on the subject.

I really liked this post, very informative!

You said something very interesting about the axis, no matter where you sit in the room, the sound is always comprehensive and pleasant!

About listening to Westminster with dummy amplifiers (8W pc) I think I can contribute with my experience!
I didn't use as many amplifiers as you did, but I used some!
At the moment I have an Airtight ATM300 (300B) that with only 8w does not give me all the dynamics or all the volume that I would like to hear when I listen to Cavalgada das Valquirias, but that gives a magical sensation when I hear Keith Jarret in The Koln Concert!
The secret is to be happy with low volumes, and not listen to pyrotechnic recordings!
Who discovers the 300B charm, knows that they are unique!

But I also heard and loved the sound of Westminster with the giants of the Levinson ML33Ref, when it comes to massive current, with a lot of refinement, they are also unique!
For 15 years I had ML33ref with my Westminster! I liked the ML33Ref so much that I had two pairs!
I would say that there are two schools and two masters, the ideal is to be able to enjoy both kingdoms!

Ml33Ref.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I really liked this post, very informative!

You said something very interesting about the axis, no matter where you sit in the room, the sound is always comprehensive and pleasant!

About listening to Westminster with dummy amplifiers (8W pc) I think I can contribute with my experience!
I didn't use as many amplifiers as you did, but I used some!
At the moment I have an Airtight ATM300 (300B) that with only 8w does not give me all the dynamics or all the volume that I would like to hear when I listen to Cavalgada das Valquirias, but that gives a magical sensation when I hear Keith Jarret in The Koln Concert!
The secret is to be happy with low volumes, and not listen to pyrotechnic recordings!
Who discovers the 300B charm, knows that they are unique!

But I also heard and loved the sound of Westminster with the giants of the Levinson ML33Ref, when it comes to massive current, with a lot of refinement, they are also unique!
For 15 years I had ML33ref with my Westminster! I liked the ML33Ref so much that I had two pairs!
I would say that there are two schools and two masters, the ideal is to be able to enjoy both kingdoms!

View attachment 62459

Gorgeous things!

Later Tannoys - contemporary ones in general, especially modern Canterburys and Westminsters - do seem to be easier to drive with low power and less amplifier damping than the vintage ones. Also with the three way horn on the Westminsters (as with the Autographs I owned - though I think the Westminsters have a better implemented three way horn than the Autographs, which are a 1950s design after all!) you have a massive uplift in efficiency compared to a vented cabinet, abeit with a commensurate increase in volume.

I felt the three-way horn on the Autographs wasn't quite time and phase aligned in the same way a vented Tannoy can be, and therefore a bit unsettling, the Wesminsters much are better in that regard though the ones I have heard are still not quite so 'right' from a timing perspective as a vented pair. It's all trade-offs though and I'd happily have Westminsters myself if I had the room for them! Their impact and presence is utterly magical.

Actually sounds like the Silvercores could be worth an audition with the Westminsters :)

Reactions: Nascimento

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing