Recommend me a SS pre.....

I quit listening Cds long time ago. During the time I made comparisons between Cd players and with Esoteric I was listening Bow ZZ-8. It was equipped with Philips Cd-Pro industrial transport, four K-grade Burr-Brown multibit DACs and PMD-100 digital filter. This is a good combination for an easy flowing and musically captivating sound, especially PMD-100. Certainly not analytical.

I don’t understand the relationship between the Cd players I own and what I’m capable of hearing and describing sound signature of a component, Esoteric in this case. Is my ability to discern differences between audio components and describe sound characteristics are limited to the equipment I own?

Thank you.

ESOTERIC-SA7.jpg

I know just the name of Bpw Technolgy.

I have done my choice in my system.

I agree with you, all old Esoteric I heard are analytic.

The new series seems to be warmer but ML N360S DAC is better than the K-03XS DAC.

Thank you.

View attachment 137003

I know just the name of Bpw Technolgy.

I have done my choice in my system.

I agree with you, all old Esoteric I heard are analytic.

The new series seems to be warmer but ML N360S DAC is better than the K-03XS DAC.
I noticed that the Mark Levinson 360S DAC wasn’t in your system, but I did see the Marantz SA-7S1. That’s a fantastic player – I have one in storage myself. I remember how it stood out back in 2006, delivering a more resolving and engaging sound compared to other high-end players of the time. You might want to try upgrading the main fuse to an Audio Magic Beeswax; it provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

I’m quite familiar with the ML 360S – it has a good sound, though a bit on the darker side, as is typical with Mark Levinson units. The No. 30.6 DAC is in a different league, offering more refinement, detail, and resolution, especially when paired with the No. 31.5 transport. In my experience, that transport is among the best, alongside models like the CEC TL0, Zanden 2000, and Burmester 069. I’ve heard them all in friends’ systems, except the Burmester, which I auditioned a couple of times in a local shop. By the way, I’m also a fan of the No. 39 and 390S CD players – they share the same transport, DAC, and digital filter with the Bow ZZ-8.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou
Thanks for your feedback.

Before the Marantz SA7S1, I have the Arcam CD 23T...
In my system, with the Esoteric K-03XS used as drive, I have better bass, better vocal...
With the N360S, I have sound in 3D.
I will try to have a drive with Philips CD Pro, because it seems that Philips CD Pro is the best drive for CD player.
I hope to find Ultraanalog DAC too...

Attachments

• DAC N360S.jpg
    DAC N360S.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu