Recommendation for $7,000 System

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Misread, change turntable for CD player.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
K but you also posted random numbers... at least to many of us.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Tekton Speakers $4500
https://www.tektondesign.com/moab.html
Schiit Intergrated fully loaded $1800
https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1
technics SL1200Mk7 $1,000
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457574-REG/technics_sl_1200mk7_direct_drive_turntable_system.html
Sony UBP-X800M2 HDR UHD Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player $200
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1474912-REG/sony_ubpx800m2_ubp_x800m2_4k_uhd_4k.html
Nagaoka MP150 Cartridge $280
https://www.amazon.com/Nagaoka-MP-150-AUDIO-Cartridge-TYPE/dp/B002SE1X2A

About 10 percent over the 7,000 but lesser Tekton speakers could bring it into line.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Used meridian dsp7200 is a lot of kit if you can find a pair a 218 controller has ethernet, digital, optical and an analog input also decodes mqa and can also be found used. Assembling a good sounding system on a budget this one is gonna be hard to beat.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Parasound integrated. JBL speakers to fit the room. Mogami or Canare cable.

Alternate.

Harbeth P3 or other small bbc speaker. Parasound again for amps. I use the zamp3 in my tv system. Dac could be benchmark or other in price range.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

The mixed-use room is about 15 feet wide by 20 feet long.

Thank you!

P.S. As a opera lover especially Puccini.....to get excited IMHO the system needs to move some air...4 x 12 inch drivers will get the job done and for $4500...if they image well I would spend the extra...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course with large CD library you will need an optical reader. One of those CD juke boxes with digital out will do.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
P.S. As a opera lover especially Puccini.....to get excited IMHO the system needs to move some air...4 x 12 inch drivers will get the job done and for $4500...if they image well I would spend the extra...

If you want a larger speaker without spending big $, JTR is a far better design imo:

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio.html

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
How is the SQ of big model with two 15 inch drivers/

Had you listened to it?

I have heard the model with 2 x 12" woofers. It uses the BMS coax driver. I think it's really good and a great value.

I would probably have to remove the stock xo and biamp it, the BMS coax is 118 dB efficient so I'd want to use a small SET amp for it. The crossover is at 500 Hz.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Please don't torture people that like classical and opera with a wimpy inefficient bookshelf... That's my opinion.

Do this:

Pi Audio 6 Pi Speakers: ($3500~ shipped I think)
These will have thrilling dynamics and good non-horn sounding vocals. They'll be alive, and squash little speakers. The only condition is they must be corners. But that's the good news, floor standing AND out of the way. They easily reach into the 30hz.
I would do this config:
Wood: Their choice
Finish: Their choice
Compression driver: B&C DE250
Woofer: B&C 12PLB100 (unless the Pi guy says it lowers efficiency, I would keep it 100db+)
Inductors: 15 gauge
Capacitors: Standard
Resistors: Mills
(A review from someone who made their own at the bottom of the post)

Speaker wire Belden 9497: ($100? Maybe way less) There's no reason to terminate this wire, it's simple, easy, and they can order extra to trim to fit. It's out of the way. It sounds great, too.

Interconnects Belden 8402: ($60 x 2)Sound great, very inexpensive.

Options on Preamps/Amp/DAC:

This is where things are a little more compThen get a BorderPatrol DAC SPDIF only SEi ($1350). This leaves $200 left over to get any disc player with PCM output. For example this Sony would be fine, the quality of the player won't matter, and if they want one that screws up the sound the budget doesn't allow for that.

Alternative to the Scott would be a Decware Zen Triode (integrated: $1800) configured with stepped attenuator, two pair input. BorderPatrol DAC SPDIF S ($995) and iFi Phono 2 ($549). And any disc player such as that Sony. The total is a couple more dollars than $7000.

If they would prefer non-tube I can come up with some ideas but I think they'll be slightly less enthralled. I wouldn't change the speakers if there's no issue with corner speakers.
Interesting choice on the borderpatrol DAC.

Surprised by lack of investment in CD player sources mentioned so far.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Interesting choice on the borderpatrol DAC.

Surprised by lack of investment in CD player sources mentioned so far.

How come? The CDP doesn’t matter much if it feeds a DAC. Lower noise CDP helps some, but most “audiophile” ones have been proven to just put out a bastardized signal.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
How come? The CDP doesn’t matter much if it feeds a DAC. Lower noise CDP helps some, but most “audiophile” ones have been proven to just put out a bastardized signal.

I agree with the part that I highlighted in red above.

However if the client is spinning CD's and vinyl only and not what most of the folks in the forum do in the digital spectrum (streaming/computer file based), then isn't a single box CD player a better value?

BorderPatrol Digital to Analogue Converter SE Page 2
https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-digital-analogue-converter-se-page-2
I'd listened to only one CD, but it felt as if the directness and intimacy that I knew Williams had laid down in those nine tracks had somehow been converted into sounds that emerged with detached, benign indifference.

I'm interested in a CD player myself and this forum (and review above) seems to have abandoned the medium.

I say this based on the relative importance given the source and recommending Blu-ray players such as I under stand it the discontinued Oppo players.

Converting all of the inherited CD's to streaming/computer server code was proposed as a solution to a question NOT asked in my opinion.

April 2018
Oppo is ending its line of high-end headphones and Blu-ray players
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-down
Oppo Digital, the 14-year-old US brand known for its high-end audio equipment and disc players, says it has begun winding down its business. From April 2nd, Oppo Digital says it will “gradually” stop making products like the PM3 headphones, and DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K UHD disc players. Oppo Digital is a separate company from Oppo the phone maker, and it is unaffected by today’s announcement.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would certainly change my recommendation for a DAC if I could figure out something in a relative price point. I thought about a Benchmark, they're very smooth. But I figured something with a little magic might be preferred.

How about a Schiit Bifrost with the Multibit upgrade? Or Maybe a Soekris?

It's true that CDP's are not popular these days. I still prefer them, but I never plug mine in since I play so much vinyl.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
A friend of mine inherited 2,000 CDs. He also has a turntable, and he wants to be able to play records.

He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

He is looking to purchase a stereo for not more than a total of $7,000. The stereo should not take up an entire room, but it does not have to be inconspicuous either.

Please make full system suggestions.

Thank you!

We are assuming they are keeping the existing turntable and it is not part of the budget, correct?

I'm recommending panel speakers like Magnepan 1.7's for $2,000 or Martin Logan ElectroMotionESL X for $2,000.

Rega Apollo CD player for $1,000 because it's a cool top loader, or Marantz ND-8006 CD with all the modern features you could want, both are about $1,000.

Tube amp/preamps (integrated and so forth) are out of budget unless used, new solid state Rotel is a good value. Budget for amp with pre-amp or an integrated $2,500 plus another $500 for an outboard phono preamp that tickles your fancy - that's 3k in all.

$2,000 + $1,000 + $3,000 = $6,000

That leaves you $1,000 for all of your interconnects and speaker wires assuming the equipment gets thrown on to existing furniture or concrete patio pavers from Home Depot. Audio Quest makes something for every budget, next Christmas they can gift each other some Nordost to upgrade.

I have heard in one form or another everything listed, although it's been many years (decades) in some cases. However I'm in tune with these price levels more than the 10k and up per piece stuff most of the guys in the forum seem to know about.

I'd be concerned about room acoustics, proper room placement, set-up, and listening chairs in the sweet-spot even at this price point. Getting the basics right will make up for spending more money every time.

PS: Be sure to get the old cartridge inspected and aligned by the store's service tech as part of the package, it's going to make a HUGE difference, and maybe toss in a new belt and get the bearings lubed while you are in there. Nothing can F-up a new very revealing system like a worn out turntable on it's last legs.

EDIT:
They can pick up an FM tuner for $10 - $50 at a Goodwill / Salvation Army / Recycle store or online.

EDIT-2:
I just read a review of the Rega Apollo-R CD player, and it seems to share the same house sound of the original Rega Planet, that is a shallow sound-stage and less than top notch 3-D imaging. Other than that it is still a good player, and if you are enamored with a top loader hard to beat at the price. However when pairing with panel speakers known for their depth when pulled far into the room and off the front wall might not take advantage of these types of speakers main attraction. I will say that when paired with $7,000 (Vandersteen) speakers I experienced no such shortcomings from the Rega Apollo-R CD player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Many integrated are offered with dac and phono.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Depends on the room. I've seen some unobtrusive executions. I'm not suggesting these rooms are optimized for sound, just that it can be done.

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/wp-...-Open-Baffle-Speakers-by-PureAudioProject.jpg

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_1741.jpg
I trust those are awesome as I love the open baffle speakers I've heard, but they start at $7,500 and up, right?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing