record clamps/weights......

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Lignum Vitae is an extreme wood and due to its density it was used as bearing shafts for submarine propulsion....
Interesting how different theese 2 weights affect the sound
the LV has a rich soothing harmonic signature and the Omicron brass/bakelite is "cleaner" and faster.....might be due to its special resonance cancelling construction:
the upper and lower metal parts are connected to the central bakelite through some ball bearings.....the top part wiggles back and forth when installing it, to settle in a few seconds
Love it!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I believe you. Lignum Vitae bearing is a kind of wood that doesn't deteriorate by sea water, on the contrary it lubricates the shaft. It was used on old ships including submarines but now synthetic materials are used on shaft bearings. It was said whole deck of Bismarck made from the same wood which is still look new under the ocean after all those years.

Last edited:

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Do record weights affect the accuracy of the platter speed, or only the acceleration/decel times?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I have the Shun Mook--compared it side by side with the Dalby--the Dalby is slightly superior but the Mook is oh so close;).
Tried a few others--Harmonix plus those supplied with Shindo ,Simon Yorke,and earlier Oracle. I always make point of noting the clamps /etc in show demos -I still feel the Mook and Dalby lead the pack
YVMV.
Have not the opportunity to audition some of the ones mentioned--I'm sure they have positive attributes-I'm only voicing my own two cents to the conversation.

Period :oops: !

BruceD

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have the Shun Mook--compared it side by side with the Dalby--the Dalby is slightly superior but the Mook is oh so close;).
Tried a few others--Harmonix plus those supplied with Shindo ,Simon Yorke,and earlier Oracle. I always make point of noting the clamps /etc in show demos -I still feel the Mook and Dalby lead the pack

Completely agree.

Reactions: BruceD

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i like my spendy long term Durand record weight, and at least equally my Massif Lignum record weight, as it can accommodate the taller spindle length of the Esoteric T1. both allow for lively top end air while adding a degree of solidity. i have a few others, a Thorens, the Wave Kinetics, and the NVS screw on, but these 2 stand out.

the 6 pound CS Port solid stainless weight is a different beast all together and it's a permanent resident on the CS Port.

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
after hearing this cheap plastic thing, i never want to use metallic clamps anymore

CLKPERSES_CC-Large.jpg

Reactions: mtemur

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
after hearing this cheap plastic thing, i never want to use metallic clamps anymore

View attachment 127275

I have one of those somewhere. I can't for the life of me remember what it sounds like, must try it again. I'm using the Stillpoints 845gm weight.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing