Reno Hi Fi Closing In 2024

Audiojem

Jan 13, 2019
Sad News!
A game changer for Pass Lovers!
Mark made it easy to upgrade up the Pass line always having a great in stock selection and good trade in values.
I wonder who will step up and take his place?
Wish Mark the best in the future.

Reactions: RickS and jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Interesting that the final sentence of f the closing announcement is that the business will not be sold and the data base of customers will not be not be shared.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Interesting that the final sentence of f the closing announcement is that the business will not be sold and the data base of customers will not be not be shared.

Better shared in a private communique with concerned parties. Why advertise your customer data.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That is a surprising and sad announcement especially since they have not been at the new location for very long. Mark provided me years of great service and excellent communication. It was an interesting and successful business model.

I find the announcement of new Pass products coming quite intriguing. I wonder what they’re up to. I wish Mark a happy retirement with much gratitude for a great relationship and years of excellent service.

Last edited:

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I'm not even a customer - yet - though Reno was potentially a supplier for an upcoming preamp purchase. It saddens me to lose what appears to be an excellent retailer, with customer-friendly practices that seem unmatched for Pass products in the industry.

It's just a wild guess on my part, but the comment about not selling the customer list might be to prevent concerns that could turn customers to other resources in the coming months.

I join the sentiments above though, wishing Mark well in the future!

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Wishing Mark the best in retirement!

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Has anyone contacted Pass and asked if there is actually a new product line coming anytime in the near future?
Are they still working through the inventory of transistors for the existing lines, prehaps?

Maybe they have not found anything that they can get in sufficient quantity that sounds as good as what they already have?

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
I was sad to read this. Mark made it possible for people like me to move up the Pass Labs ladder.
I never met Mark. but chatted on the phone and through emails many times. What a gracious and humble man who's enthusiasm for this hobby was certainly addictive. Every audio dealer would be well served to copy Mark's business platform and his ability to treat customers like me so well. If your a Pass Labs fan...we just lost a great Audio store and an even better man. I hope Mark enjoys his retirement...he deserves it.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Glad Mark can retire! I admire him for his integrity in his Pass Lab sales. I enjoyed working with him.

Reactions: RickS and PeterA

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
It is sad for his very happy clients. Being one myself I can only hope for Mark to have a fantastic retirement!! Great guy to do business with. Hoping I can work with him again before Reno closes down.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
I think the closing of Reno Hi Fi will bring about a big change for Pass Labs, First Watt fans. They had every piece of gear in stock, and almost all available as demo pieces. There aren't any Pass Dealers I know of that can match this. As a Pass fan, it was a breeze for me to trade in my XP-20, upgrade to my XP-30, and buy my XA-60.8s. I didn't trade in my XA-30.5, because I won't part with it.
Now, if I want to upgrade to the XP-32, I can't trade in my XP-30, unless I find a Pass dealer willing to take it. The Trade In, and Demo purchase options were a huge perk for Pass Labs, First Watt owners. The upgrade path was seamless, with no negatives. The gear traded in was gone through, and offered to Pass Labs and First Watt fans with a warranty.

Reactions: RickS

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think the closing of Reno Hi Fi will bring about a big change for Pass Labs, First Watt fans. They had every piece of gear in stock, and almost all available as demo pieces. There aren't any Pass Dealers I know of that can match this. As a Pass fan, it was a breeze for me to trade in my XP-20, upgrade to my XP-30, and buy my XA-60.8s. I didn't trade in my XA-30.5, because I won't part with it.
Now, if I want to upgrade to the XP-32, I can't trade in my XP-30, unless I find a Pass dealer willing to take it. The Trade In, and Demo purchase options were a huge perk for Pass Labs, First Watt owners. The upgrade path was seamless, with no negatives. The gear traded in was gone through, and offered to Pass Labs and First Watt fans with a warranty.

this was exactly my experience. Mark was great and he provided a service which I could not find with other dealers. His communication was also top-notch. It will be interesting to see how this affects the brand. I haven’t heard or read much about Pass Labs lately.

Reactions: RickS and Glide3

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
I agree with the above comments. Mark made it seamless and easy to chase the upgrade path. That made it a "no brainer" to stay with Pass Labs.

It was also interesting that Mark mentioned that Pass was going to release new products in the near future. I think there is more to the story. Reno HiFi just made a huge move in relocating to Phoenix. That was a big move ,and to shut it down this soon is pretty surprising.

Reactions: RickS and PeterA

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Too bad. I was able to audition several Pass amps through Reno Hifi, and although I never found a single one to match my sonic preferences, Mark was first class all the way. One of the good guys. Farewell.

Reactions: RickS

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Mark is now out of all inventory, also having sold his own XA200.5s.

Howard

Mar 22, 2014
  • Love
Reactions: RickS and jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing