Hello,

I’m planning to make some changes to my setup

My current system is :

Source : Naim ND555, 2x555DR
Preamp : Naim NAC552DR
Amp : Naim NAP500DR
Cables: Super Lumina cables, complete set
Speakers: Magico S3 MkII with SPODs

I'm planning to "simplify" the system and replace all Naim electronics (7 boxes) with Soulution.

Soulution 760 DAC (with Leedh processing) directly connected to Soulution 711 amplifier.

I’ll use Vovox Textura Fortis speaker cables and interconnects (which were designed in collaboration with Soulution)

I auditioned Soulution products with both Magico S3 and M2 speakers.

Soulution 500 series range presents music differently. The 700 series is a lot better. It not only is different, it outperforms the Naim gear in many areas, if not all.

What do you think about the change?

Has anyone else followed the same or similar path?

Cheers,

Thomas

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I have heard some of the Soulution gear and to me it is awesome. I'm sure your change will be outstanding!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm a long time follower of Naim from their 70s and 80s heyday as one of the only amps of choice if you were a proud British audiophile. I never quite went down the Linn LP12 route which would have likely meant a 3- or 6-pack Naim active setup.
My only thought is whether Naim with its reputation for PRaT is easily substituted by a much more resolution-based amp like Soulution.
Aren't the brands reasonably chalk'n'cheese in these respects?

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
I'm a long time follower of Naim from their 70s and 80s heyday as one of the only amps of choice if you were a proud British audiophile. I never quite went down the Linn LP12 route which would have likely meant a 3- or 6-pack Naim active setup.
My only thought is whether Naim with its reputation for PRaT is easily substituted by a much more resolution-based amp like Soulution.
Aren't the brands reasonably chalk'n'cheese in these respects?
Naim and Soulution have a lot in common. Interestingly more then one could expect, especially after reading some comments on forums. Both are really fast and neutral amplifications.

But Soulution, especially the 700 series, is a lot more capable regarding details retrieval, separation and airiness creating an impressive soundstage. This is something really enjoyable with acoustic and orchestral music. It really gives the illusion of the real thing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, what do I know? I went from *nearly* going Naim 3-pack active in 1997 to Serbian 211 triodes in 2014 Lol. Kinda nothing much in common there at all.
I do remember hearing Naim v Krell in the early 90s, and despite heft and resolution being the winners for Krell, Naim dug deeper re timing.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
My journey back into hifi around 10 years ago started with Naim - I started with an nDAC / 202 / 200 into S600 speakers and ended up with NDS / 555DR / 552 / 2x 300DR into active S600's all mounted on Fraim. At that point, I realised I didn't actually like the Naim sound and had simply been kidding myself that the next upgrade would solve the problem. In truth, I suspect a large amount of that was the speakers, but I decided to sell the whole lot and start again.

I've listened to 5-series Soulution, but not 7-series. I liked it a lot, esp the DAC but at that stage I had already bought one or two elements of the system, and I felt the Soulution made most sense as a complete system as you're suggesting. I reckon 5-series would outperform Naim in most areas, so 7-series should kill it.

The best I've found for the leading edge drive that Naim has is Audionet scientist series. However, it does all the other good hifi stuff that Naim doesn't do (soundstage, tonality etc) and is not wearing like Naim. Perhaps no surprise that's what I've ended up with!

Reactions: SwissTom and RussR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Swisstom,

I think you should speak with 2 members of WBF on the 700 series. Marty is one of the former owners of the Soulution 700...he is a very, very disciplined, meticulous audiophile who owned them. There is another owner who may be happy to speak with you.

I think if you look on WBF, you can find Marty's comments...his moniker is in fact Marty. He recently announced the acquisition of the CH M10 stereo 2-box, so should be easy to find.

Reactions: SwissTom

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Albert Porter on Audiogon has switched to Soulution. He is very experienced as well. I think you should speak with Marty about his experience.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I have owned the 701 and725 for 6 months now, and am extremely impressed and pleased with the articulation , tonality , dynamics and drive these amps/ pre offer.
truly special.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Hello,

I’m planning to make some changes to my setup

My current system is :

Source : Naim ND555, 2x555DR
Preamp : Naim NAC552DR
Amp : Naim NAP500DR
Cables: Super Lumina cables, complete set
Speakers: Magico S3 MkII with SPODs

I'm planning to "simplify" the system and replace all Naim electronics (7 boxes) with Soulution.

Soulution 760 DAC (with Leedh processing) directly connected to Soulution 711 amplifier.

I’ll use Vovox Textura Fortis speaker cables and interconnects (which were designed in collaboration with Soulution)

I auditioned Soulution products with both Magico S3 and M2 speakers.

Soulution 500 series range presents music differently. The 700 series is a lot better. It not only is different, it outperforms the Naim gear in many areas, if not all.

What do you think about the change?

Has anyone else followed the same or similar path?

Cheers,

Thomas
Hi,
hope not to be late.
I was a Spectral owner and fan for many years, but when the Soulution 710 entered my system I wondered what I have been listening to so far.
Soulution is better in every aspect, three-dimensionality, stability, deeper and more defined bass, granularity of the mids, refined highs, in very high sound pressure you can easly listed all the layer of orchestra, (contrary Spectral tends to merge).
I am sure you will not be disappointed and you will discover another world.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi,
hope not to be late.
I was a Spectral owner and fan for many years, but when the Soulution 710 entered my system I wondered what I have been listening to so far.
Soulution is better in every aspect, three-dimensionality, stability, deeper and more defined bass, granularity of the mids, refined highs, in very high sound pressure you can easly listed all the layer of orchestra, (contrary Spectral tends to merge).

I love the Soulution 710, especially ashen used with valve power amps. There is not much point upgrading to 725 as my friend had both I wouldn't spend the extra. Good to know how it compares to the spectral.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I love the Soulution 710, especially ashen used with valve power amps. There is not much point upgrading to 725 as my friend had both I wouldn't spend the extra. Good to know how it compares to the spectral.
I guess there is a mistake, Soulution 710 is a power amplifier.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
Can I ask how old your 710 Is? I hear that if they are well cared for, they can outlast the owner? I am considering a ”gently used” 710 on the market.

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
Hi,
hope not to be late.
As I mentioned in reply to another post in this thread, I am considering a gently used 710 on the secondary market. May I ask if you have considered upgrading your 710 to the 711? I seem to have seen that this is an option. The gentleman who is offering the 710 for sale makes the argument that the 710 is more analog sounding than its successor. Any thoughts on that?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Can I ask how old your 710 Is? I hear that if they are well cared for, they can outlast the owner? I am considering a ”gently used” 710 on the market.
Hi,
Mine is 2014 or 2013.
As I mentioned in reply to another post in this thread, I am considering a gently used 710 on the secondary market. May I ask if you have considered upgrading your 710 to the 711? I seem to have seen that this is an option. The gentleman who is offering the 710 for sale makes the argument that the 710 is more analog sounding than its successor. Any thoughts on that?

I preferred the 710.
You can find my thought here:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/well-balanced-great-soundstage.23197/page-4#post-541319

"Thank's, yes indeed, Soulution 710 has impressed me compared to Spectral.
The 710 evolved to 711, but I had the opportunity to test both on my system and I found the 710 more refined and natural but with a bit less dynamic compared to 711. I preferred the refinement of 710."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing