Retipping (stylus replacement) vs cantilever replacement

Is it worth improve the cartridge Goldring 2500 cartridge into a boron needle with a Schibata cut, or is it better to stick to the original? Maybe someone on this forum replaced the stylus itself?
The thing is that I accidentally broke the needle and I'm looking for advice on the best way to repair itGoldring 2500.jpg

Last edited:
I had my Benz Micro redone by SoundSmith (tip broke after years of service). They do wonderful work. I know he replaced the tip and cantilever. The motor was cleaned, and left in place. Sounds as great as new. Not cheap, but well done, and relatively quickly. I tried some other carts before deciding to get the re-tip done. Glad I did!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing