Revox brings a new B77 Mk III to market!

I don't doubt for one second that what the tech is telling you is correct.

It is that what YOU are saying is wrong.

Playback only machines are popular, there is good reason for that. I don't record on most of my machines.

Reactions: dminches
I have many tape decks that play 15ips 1/2 track tapes. Some have the ability to record and some don't. The reality is, the majority of time I use the playback only ones (heads wired out to a tape preamp), since I really don't have anything to record. I do occasionally makes tapes for friends but even that is infrequent.

• Love
Reactions: Mike Lavigne
I don't doubt for one second that what the tech is telling you is correct.

It is that what YOU are saying is wrong.
Probably..lol.

I do know that my 456 tapes are in great shape and sound great too.
The only issues with that particular tape that I'm aware of is the issue of being sticky.
The ReVox service techs also told me to fast forward every tape to close to the end then rewind before playing a tape and keep the tapes stored in cool environment.

I'm not sure what other trouble people are having or have had with regards to 456 tape. Storing analog tape is similar to film. Eventually all tape will degrade and become worthless. My oldest tape of 456 tape is from May 1983. I played that tape last week and it's still good with no issues.

Maybe tape sold in the USA was bad or something. I've never considered 456 tape to be a problem or a hassle. Maybe others will post here on the subject..

Reactions: A-Line
Thanks for posting this. None of my 456 tapes exhibit sticky shed so far. Maybe I got lucky with my purchases? :)

You just have to be careful because 1 bad tape can do a lot of damage.

Reactions: A-Line
You just have to be careful because 1 bad tape can do a lot of damage.
True. I always keep a eye out for problems when playing tape. So far so good.
I would suppose most people that had 456 tape had to throw them away within 20 years or less due to sticky shed based upon some Internet research that I did today.
My oldest tape that I recorded on is now over 41 years old.
I've never had to throw away a tape for any reason as of yet.

ReVox Classics

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu