Ridley Scott to direct new 'Blade Runner' film

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Definitely one of my favorite movies

Nearly 30 years after making the sci-fi cult classic "Blade Runner," British director Ridley Scott has agreed to direct a new installment, the producers have said.
The new "Blade Runner," produced by Alcon Entertainment, will not be a remake but rather a follow-up or a prequel to the original. Scott has yet to decide between the two options, the company said in a statement.
"It would be a gross understatement to say that we are elated Ridley Scott will shepherd this iconic story into a new, exciting direction," said producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.
"We are huge fans of Ridley?s and of the original ?Blade Runner.? This is once in a lifetime project for us," they added.
No casting decisions have been made as of yet, and no release date has been fixed.
"Blade Runner" -- which starred Harrison Ford as a police officer forced out of retirement to hunt for humanoid robots in Los Angeles in 2019 -- debuted in US theaters in 1982.
The film originally opened to disappointing box office sales, but over time it became a cult classic.
Three years after "Alien," it solidified Scott as a major talent in the science-fiction genre.
The 73-year-old director and producer last year directed "Robin Hood," and just wrapped up "Prometheus" with Charlize Theron, which will come out in 2012.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Iconic movie indeed - one of my favorites also. There were lots of mesmerizing characters in that film but none more so that Rutger Hauer as "Roy' and Daryl Hannah as 'Pris'. And of course Harrison Ford with his dry humor. Hard to imagine how Ridley Scott will come even close to matching this movie.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Iconic movie indeed - one of my favorites also. There were lots of mesmerizing characters in that film but none more so that Rutger Hauer as "Roy' and Daryl Hannah as 'Pris'. And of course Harrison Ford with his dry humor. Hard to imagine how Ridley Scott will come even close to matching this movie.

Yeah, I think the iconic nature of Blade Runner was almost an accident. Great story. Just the right people. Scott was at the peak of his dank and dangerous stage...it all came together beautifully. Not sure you can hit that spot tryin'.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
THey should have left the classic untouched.. Is nothing sacred? Having said all this, I will go see it as soon as it hits the screens:eek: ... I am not expecting it to match the original, especially the director cut...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The image that has stuck with me is Rutger Hauer blinking away the rain water streaming down his face. It made me wonder who the real monsters were, us or them.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It still looks current today -- I wonder where they'll go with the look and whether it will be set in the same time period. Very interested to see too who they get to write it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing