Rockport Technologies announces new owner

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mik, purely from visuals, Japanese artisanship and it's sheer rareity in Europe, I'm absolutely intrigued by the Spec.

From it's labour intensive/labour of love laminated Finnish Birch ply plinth, to it's 16" diameter oversized Gunmetal platter, to it's generously specced motor using string drive, and I believe magnetic bearing, it looks like a fantastic proposition.

Can you say any more about it?

108CY

May 4, 2013

108CY

May 4, 2013
someone who really knows motors and what can be sourced now would have to comment. i have no clue. it seems not reasonable to assume that somehow great motors can no longer be built as well as they once could. but maybe not. a lost art?[/QUOTE]

The subject of motors is a complex matter as the differences are vast the way they are contolled is subject in its self, majority of units are just standard of the shelf maxon motors there are now some rather large and interesting designs coming from china. Units like the large manger unit you had in the system 11 were way ahead of its time and would be tottaly uneconomical today also very hard to control due to its sheer size. The system 111 motor from what I know it costs today would be tottally out of the question. As far as belt drives go I always tend to like large AC motors but are a thing of scarcity and not so easy to control. They just seem to flow in a way that is tottaly effortless.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Does the AF0 and AS2000 run their NOS modded motors because they're the best, or because a ground-up new design would truly be prohibitive?

Why should they invest in a new ground-up design if they could locate some motors that matched their specifications?

A turntable project is a very complex entity and many factors are interdependent - I have no doubt that some aspects of the bearing design are connected to the motor characteristics.

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013

Why should they invest in a new ground-up design if they could locate some motors that matched their specifications?

A turntable project is a very complex entity and many factors are interdependent - I have no doubt that some aspects of the bearing design are connected to the motor characteristics.

I agree it would not be worth for such a small market, i have played around with modifying shafts etc and its rather complex and opens its own can of worms where does one start and one would have to throw an aweful lot of money into just prototyping.

The problem is there is limited choices out there

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I have no opinion either way. It's Mik's contention that one reason a new Sirius will not appear is the inability to source or develop a motor as good or superior to that on the III.

Yet the AF0 and AS2000 are using the old motor (albeit heavilly modded).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As far as belt drives go I always tend to like large AC motors but are a thing of scarcity and not so easy to control. They just seem to flow in a way that is tottaly effortless.

There are hundreds of such great motors floating around in european tape recorders stored in garages. Most probably it is how the famous turntables manufacturers got their stock ... :)

Reactions: amadeus and 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
There are hundreds of such great motors floating around in european tape recorders stored in garages. Most probably it is how the famous turntables manufacturers got their stock ... :)

True sadly not many are as adventurous to use some of the large AC tape recorder motors some of them are stunning but usually take alot to drive properly. I like some of those motors they sound totally effortless.

Reactions: amadeus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To correct the record, the Fremer review you cite is from 2007 and is about the Monaco version 1, not the 1.5.

Thanks for correcting

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
The price is similar once you buy the base, also is costlier to actually purchase due to the way its sold the japanese makers have not yest figured out how audio distribution works so margins are tight which actually makes it a good buy. The cs post is unusual as it does not have a conventional air bearing it utilises a a conventional inverted bearing, and floats the platter on air the the tolerances of the sub assembley and the platter surface have to be seen its a typical of the wall japanese design. The Vyger is great its a lovely deck to own its a bit darker sounding and has a bit more character the cs port is quite stunning in the way it just flows and has this incredibly quick yet smooth and natural while not giving the impression of false weight. The bass is lightning fast and deep. The rockports remain technological marvals that there are differences between system 111,s so its not easy to comment and they are more like tools I have spent many years trying to understand them. I still love the vyger and its a wonderful turntable it has a highly musical sound and and especially does well on classical. Who would want to own one turntable. The cs port is far most musically enjoyable than the AF one premium the airforce one is pushes images forward and exagerates frequencies.
Did you hear the CS Port side by side whit AF1P ?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

meet Josh Clark !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing