ROMA Official Trailer (2018) Alfonso Cuarón, Netflix Movie

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"With “Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón’s black-and-white childhood remembrance of things past set in early 1970s Mexico City, the challenge was to recreate every sound in its own geographical environment while, at the same time, removing the city’s modern cacophony.

“Alfonso was adamant on how the sounds inside his house had to be authentic and with a precision inherent to the time and, more importantly, to his own memory. The exploration and recreation process for the interiors and exteriors of his house was huge,” said “Roma” sound editor Sergio Diaz.

The interior sounds included the metallic stairs, the light switches, and the grinding of the wood floors in each room. “For the exteriors, there was the sound of the birds at sunrise, the cars driving by Tepeji street at a moderate speed, the distant cars in the avenues, the sound of the propeller and turbine planes,” he said.

When it came to mixing (again, with the sophistication of Atmos), “Gravity” Oscar winner Skip Lievsay was tasked with making an extremely detailed environment for the actors to inhabit. “This included accurately panning all dialogue and associated foley for all on-screen and off-screen actions,” he said. The idea, he explained, was to encircle the viewers and draw them into the action as if standing beside the actors."

- by Bill Desowitz / December 27, 2018 4:44PM EST

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't think anyone is arguing about the sound or cinematography Bob nor is anyone denying that it was a good movie. Like others I was juiced to see this film because of the accolades which preceded it but the story line is slow and tedious and at the end of the day it was a ho hum underwhelming story

As Marty points out about Borras the dog who poops incessantly in the courtyard IMO was unnecessary to the point when Cleo was yelled at to clean up the poop, there were multiple close up camera shots of Cleo cleaning up the mess. I get it but it serves what purpose.

All in all it will be interesting to see what awards the movie garners

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We started watching this the other evening and switched to something else about 40 minutes in. Neither of us could get into the movie and I had heard many fine comments about the film.

Maybe we will try again on a slow night.

I thought "My Brilliant Friend" was much more interesting and filmed.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are no arguments from me Steve, indeed.
We all have our own senses and sensibilities.

The dog's poo was for special effects.
The storyline was the best aspect of this magnificent film well told and executed by a master.

Someone mentioned Cinema Paradiso (1988) yesterday, directed by Giuseppe Tornatore (The Legend of 1900, Malena); masterpiece films from another master. If 'Roma' can bring this kind of mention it says s lot.

Roma is a human movie of the highest caliber, a human "Fellinian" film.
It's right in our own backyard, from the south; same people, same country, same continent, same oceans on both sides, same skies above, same stars higher up, same sun, same moon, same planet...Earth.

We all see and hear differently, inside emotionally. We all cry and laugh differently, inside emotionally. We all bleed the same color red, we all have mothers, fathers, families.

Last night I revisited Anthony Quinn (Lawrence of Arabia); it reminded me of the vast desert, the heat and the water well. It reminded me of today and yesterday and tomorrow ...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I loved 'The Little Princess' (1995) directed by Alfonso Cuarón. He is a talented Director.

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
First, I'd like to say hello to everyone with my first post here...I've been lurking for an awful long time and find this site to be educational and entertaining.

I saw Roma in 70mm and Dolby Atmos before the Netflix release. It is very nicely done but I think a bit overhyped by the critics.

My favourite movie of last year..."Beast" directed by Michael Pearce. I'm not sure this will be up for any awards but I would encourage everyone to
see it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Ken, 2019 is the perfect year, time.

I'll search for 'Beast' to put it on my list.

As for 'Roma' and the overhype by many film critics; I think it's a great counterbalance to the Marvel superhero flicks coming from the big Hollywood movie cash register.
It personally liberated me and inspired me in the most beautiful human way.
Many film critics felt like I did; touched in real life's simplicity from Alfonso's own memory growing up in 1970 in a Mexican suburb. It is that simplicity that is most welcome today, like you here posting for the first time.
So this is simple normal hype, in that aspect of relaxing our senses and human sensibilities.

I didn't see 'Green Book' yet but I sure will.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I did watch 'Beast' last night. This was the first film from this director, quite impressive.
It won't be for everyone. It's a complex psychological thriller to the very end.
"Warped" it definitely is.

Just very briefly, to not deviate too much from 'Roma', but I certainly don't mind being free talking about other films and music in my own threads. The cinematography in 'Beast' is saccadded, with quick camera movements and not showing with articulation but a style completely opposite to 'Roma' exquisitely smooth camera movements. Yes, it's a voluntary effect for this type of film, but for me it is not my favorite style in films. ...Eg.; some of the earlier Jason Bourne flicks.

I would rate 'Beast' @ 70 (out of 100).

How would you rate 'Roma'?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi, my ratings are out of 10 so I don't have to think about it as much ;).
I'd rate Roma a solid 9. Have you seen "In the Mood for Love" by Wong Kar-wai?
For some reason, I feel that if you like Roma, you would like this. Perhaps it's the camera movements.
As for Beast 9.5/10. I just thought Jesse Buckley was amazing.
As for Green Book - good but not great...despite the Golden Globes.
perhaps I will chime in on an audio topic some time which is my real passion...and offer contrarian views there.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like that; think less score the same. :D

I'll check for In The Mood For Love; the title sounds pretty good. And the director is foreign.

Yes, she was good; Jessie Buckley.

I've read some weird stuff recently about the director of Green Book.
I won't bother mentioning, it's on the Internet (Twitter).

Please do, audio is also my passion, including movie music soundtracks.
And speaking of audio (sounds, music, live concerts, home system reproduction, audiophile recordings, hi-end audio gear, mechanical loudspeakers, electronics, ...) I really like the realistic sound effects (natural) and the music in Roma. This film's aspect was also done with love and care. It ranks high in my "audio" manual, very. Pros were @ work here, I could tell right away from the very beginning and during the entire running time, till the very end with the rolling credits.

Different views is what makes this planet more exciting. Bring it on Ken. :cool:
We are in good company, among some of the best.

Hi, my ratings are out of 10 so I don't have to think about it as much ;).
I'd rate Roma a solid 9. Have you seen "In the Mood for Love" by Wong Kar-wai?
For some reason, I feel that if you like Roma, you would like this. Perhaps it's the camera movements.
As for Beast 9.5/10. I just thought Jesse Buckley was amazing.
As for Green Book - good but not great...despite the Golden Globes.
perhaps I will chime in on an audio topic some time which is my real passion...and offer contrarian views there.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Something for you to know - some people around the main sound engineer cast were very well known audiophile distributors of some serious gear in the past in Mexico - this film is not an accident but coming from a very well funded group (public and private) movie cluster of Mexican directors, photographers and producers building up from the last 15 years or so. I am very proud of the fruits of this effort.

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
fwiw, we visited Mexico City over the 2017 Christmas Holidays and stayed at an AirBnB in Roma Norte. I'm not sure how far this was from where the film was based but there were certainly a good number of wonderful restaurants in the neighborhood!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You've said it; it's no magical accident.
? https://filmmakermagazine.com/106491-skip-lievsay-craig-henighan-alfonso-cuaron-roma/

Something for you to know - some people around the main sound engineer cast were very well known audiophile distributors of some serious gear in the past in Mexico - this film is not an accident but coming from a very well funded group (public and private) movie cluster of Mexican directors, photographers and producers building up from the last 15 years or so. I am very proud of the fruits of this effort.

Steve Williams

I’m happy he won last night Bob because it is certainly a very good movie. This was the Critics Choice Awards and there were 10 nominated Best Films. To me this only serves to dilute the votes and who knows who the winner will be at Oscar time with fewer nominees and more people votinf

For me last. nights best surprise was Christian Bale taking the award over Rami Malek. If you recall in my review of Vicevi said that it was Christian Bale who nailed that role and I wouldn’t object if he won the award. I believe those two roles were the best two acted of the last film season

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
True Steve, who knows what's going on in the head of the Academy voters.

I did not see Vice yet, but just from the trailer I was completely astounded by Christian Bale's total transformation for the role. The makeup is simply incredible, and we all know that Christian is a top premium actor, and a heck of a good person in real life too.
Critics' Choice Awards:
• Best Actor - Christian Bale, Vice
• Best Hair and Makeup - Vice

I'll be checking the Oscars on February 24, you bet.
My gut's intuition; 'Roma' numero uno in 2019 @ the Oscars.

I have friends who are a filmmaker/scipt writer and a professional artist painter/musician/singer; they didn't see in 'Roma' what I saw. In general we agree on films, but not always...we are from different schools. It's all fun, in the heart of filmmaking ...

You yourself are a big movie fan, and you are generally very very good @ guessing who's going to win @ the Oscars. You go to the cinema theaters to see most of the films of importance and talents. Films matter, like music...it's part of our culture. ...The Arts.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, he lost it big time, way overreacted, way overboard.
And nobody dared to tell him to take a break because they were all afraid to lose their jobs.
It is truly pathetic that we don't act for the right values.

I didn't know about that Steve; in the link below that third video above it says that it also happened with his own family members.

I thought he was a good person in real life; I saw him showing in a video, coming to give his support to victims of a mass shooting in the US. I don't remember exactly which one, it don't really matter, he was supportive and came in person. In times like those it helps the victims.

I don't know how acute is his bad temper; I wish him to see the best mental therapists.
Perhaps he has already done so, I just don't know.

It is truly affecting, and very very saddening...for him, for his close entourage and for all of us.
It changes my perception of him as a professional performing actor.
His last portrayal of Dick Cheney in Vice is perhaps the closest to when he was portraying Patrick Bateman in American Psycho in 2000.

Thanks Steve for posting some of the darker "knight" side of Christian Bale. I stand corrected by being more informed. The guy needs help big time, and it is very sad that in the first video above nobody gave him that help but just stood there by doing absolutely nothing. And for what; fear of losing their jobs...very very sad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing