S3 MK3 (2023) Arrived

Thanks. The only Magico speaker I’ve heard at length is the A5. Spent a decent amount of time listening at AXPONA.
My current speaker is the A5! I have the S5 2024 on order. I pray that the new S5 delivers the same sonic attributes as the S3 2023 with an extended lower octave. Hopefully I’ll know if I made the right decision by the end of the 3rd quarter 2024.

My current speaker is the A5! I have the S5 2024 on order. I pray that the new S5 delivers the same sonic attributes as the S3 2023 with an extended lower octave. Hopefully I’ll know if I made the right decision by the end of the 3rd quarter 2024.
The S5 2024 would be my first pick but it’s most likely too rich for me. Bet it’s going to be amazing!!

Last edited:
I’m looking at new S3 2023 or used S5 mkii. The dimensions of the S5 mkii actually work better for me. Any thoughts here? Thanks!
I received my new pair of Magico S3 2023 speakers recently and am VERY happy with them (after waiting about 12 weeks). They are very rewarding when properly set up and properly fed. I have not had a pair of S5 MkII or S5 2024 speakers in my room, so I do not have that direct comparison. BUT, based upon a lot of time, research and listening to most of the Magico models up to and including the M6 at various locations I have the following thoughts which may be relevant to your situation and for your consideration:

1. Medium room size. My room is just over 15' by 20' with 9' ceilings which seems I think to be an ideal sized room for the S3 2023, or an S3 MkII if you need to spend less. I consider this a medium sized room. My sized room or smaller is not enough room for the S5 speaker in my opinion from research and listening at various locations. So if you have a medium sized room go for the newest S3 you can afford. At least with the S3 2023 I can assure you that you will have plenty of bass, much more than the A3, which was my prior speaker.

2. Large room size. If your room is a large room, say 20' by 25' or larger go for the S5, again, the newest model you can afford as each newer model gets better, and in case of the 2024 model significantly better.

3. What you can afford. This is always an important consideration. The market is really doing its job with regard to these S series speakers right now. The new S3 2023 is $45,500, the S3 Mk II is about half that and the S3 Mk I is about 1/3 of the new speaker. I understand the S5 2024 to be priced at $74,500, with the S5 Mk II also selling for about half that and the S5 Mk 1 selling for about 1/3 of the new speaker. There is an active market for used S3 and S5 speakers. So once you determine the size of the speaker you need based upon your room size then you just need to figure out what you can afford. I can say that having done a lot of listening in a number of different locations that the newest models are definitely superior to the prior models and that I assume you will be happiest with the newest model you can afford.

4. Power. These speakers need a significant amount of high quality power to sound their best. So make sure you have significant good clean power, IMO at least 200 wpc tubes or 300 wpc solid state into 4 ohms (frankly, within reason, the more the better, but high quality no matter what) with the amps feed by the best quality electricity you can secure, preferably a 20 amp copper wire circuit for each amp, grounded at the lowest possibly impedance. So power is an important consideration, whether you choose the S3 or S5 as they both have similar power needs.

5. Sources/Material/Cabling. These speakers, especially the newest models, are very, very revealing as to what you feed them. So high quality sources, material and high quality cabling will also be rewarded and should therefore be considered as well. So this too is an important consideration as both the S3 and S5 speakers, again especially the newest models, are very revealing of both the good and the bad.

Happy hunting.
I’m looking at new S3 2023 or used S5 mkii. The dimensions of the S5 mkii actually work better for me. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing