Sablon USB cable - 2020 model

dnnaudio

Aug 3, 2021
Undecided between Sablon 2020 USB and Network Acoustics ENO USB3. Both similar price and superlative feedback. Wondering if anyone had a chance to compare these two cables.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
I received my Sablon 2020 USB from Mark last Friday. My current system’s digital side is a Wolf Audio Alpha 3SX feeding the Gryphon DAC module in my Diablo 300. Previous to the Sablon 2020 I was employing the very nice Audience FrontRow USB. Initially I perceived a more “complete or homogenous” presentation top to bottom, but one with improved micro detail. I found these two ideas almost in conflict with one another. I shared my initial thoughts with Mark and his primary response was with what i felt as a smile on the other side of his keyboard… give it more time. Now it has had over 100 hours of information passed through it and he was correct. There has been a noted improvement in that complete presentation with more texture across the frequency spectrum that makes it all more beguiling and natural sounding. Also, as I was also told the bass has improved. Thank you for all the time and patience Mark as well as for a significant improvement for my system.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Glad you’re enjoying Richard and thanks for taking the time to post. The cable sounds pretty lacklustre from cold but opens up a fair bit after two days on repeat. After that point, it gains incrementally in intensity / saturation over another week or so.

Thanks also for bringing to my attention that Gryphon run their usb input with the 5vdc line disconnected.

Reactions: drrsutliff

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
It may come as a surprise to some readers, however I have a handful of other cable manufacturers in my client list. No names, no pack drill...however the following feedback received last weekend was particularly gratifying

Hi Mark – I don’t how you do it – but your cable is nothing short of magical

My cables sound good – your cable just sounds like music

One quick example – one of my fav. Tracks is “ The Parting Glass” by the Wailing Jennies – 3 Angelic female voices singing Acapella - I could never completely discern the 3 separate voices – until today – when your cable clearly placed one voice each to the left and right and one dead centre – Stunning realism ….

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
With these USB-C connectors from Oyaide it seems to be easy to build USB-C cables even with large diameter wires:

Matt

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Matt and I will look into it. Although the level of demand for this termination style is minimal, it would be good to have an option.

Reactions: matthias

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
Gentelmen:

I was exposed the Sablon USB last year. I use it for my Windows laptop with Audiovarna to a Nagra Tube DAC I did an extensive 500 hour burn in. Brought the USB cable to my dealer for shootout with various USB cables. Some of these cables were 3-5X the cost of Sablon. I will just say, it was NOT close. We were in AWE of the sound performance of this cable. We had to do the test several times to confirm our findings. Discovering Sablon has been eye opening and the bespoke service Mark has provided. We are in the process of doing the same test with the SPDIF cable from a Bluesound streamer to the Nagra DAC. Initial findings is very similar.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Gentelmen:

I was exposed the Sablon USB last year. I use it for my Windows laptop with Audiovarna to a Nagra Tube DAC I did an extensive 500 hour burn in. Brought the USB cable to my dealer for shootout with various USB cables. Some of these cables were 3-5X the cost of Sablon. I will just say, it was NOT close. We were in AWE of the sound performance of this cable. We had to do the test several times to confirm our findings. Discovering Sablon has been eye opening and the bespoke service Mark has provided. We are in the process of doing the same test with the SPDIF cable from a Bluesound streamer to the Nagra DAC. Initial findings is very similar.
And if you haven’t already, try the Ethernet cable too. Whole system synergy.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Gentelmen:

Glad you're enjoy them both @Sniper17 and thanks for taking the time to share your views. I'm glad you took my advice about the Bocchino terminations on the spdif, certainly takes things up a notch or three.

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Hi Mark. Can you please advise how one might use your USB cable for a Chord Mojo with microUSB input. I now have your previous USB cable free for use on my mobile rig since upgrading to your new one for my main system.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Work begins today on a new flagship usb cable. Although the first prototype might look quite innocent, there is an extra 100 grams of wire in there compared to the regular 2020 model.

An extrapolation of the 2020 design - and a complete swine to build - with extensive deployment of what is euphemistically known as mechanical modification in order to fit all that wire into the small usb plugs.

More anon, however for the avoidance of any doubt, it is not intended to replace the 2020 version but supplement it at a higher level of performance / price.

6A73F682-BD6D-4B96-9E1E-46917C53AEC3.jpeg

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Initial listening suggests a pleasing bump in impact and presence despite no burn in. Will be interesting to see how this evolves after a couple hundred hours but so far, so good….

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Initial listening suggests a pleasing bump in impact and presence despite no burn in. Will be interesting to see how this evolves after a couple hundred hours but so far, so good….

sounds promising!! after I got the Sablon 2020 USB cable the last thing I thought I ever needed was a new USB cable, but... this one is probably going to be difficult to resist! :cool:

same sleeve as the Ethernet cables? will it be slightly less stiff though?

I assume it will come in an un-powered "LampizatOr etc" version as well?

and I don't want to rush you, but... is this prototype like a final test version or do you expect to keep working on it?

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Work progresses on the new usb cable with a 4th iteration being evaluated today.

An earlier ‘wrong turn’ on geometry has now been addressed and a new larger and more advanced (but rather expensive…) wire is now under consideration. Early impressions are of yet more impact but also a clearer and more vivid presentation. Seems very well balanced overall and times well. Let’s see how it fares after burn in…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing