Sablon USB cable - 2020 model

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Touching on the subject of burn in, this cable is pretty benign from the get go but will intensify significantly over a few days left on repeat. Generally speaking, most listeners will be wowed from cold however those with Intona Ultimates as their reference will need to give it a bit of time. I guess that says as much about the capabilities of the Intona as it does mine!

I used to wish for gear that didn't require burn-in, but eventually just adopted a stance that everything new I add to my system requires some amount of burn in, and so I just give it time. This makes it a non-issue, and also forces me to avoid jumping to hasty conclusions. Win-win!

Reactions: Sablon Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The only Sablon cables that have taken time to fully endear me have been IC and PC to cdp. Maybe there's something about digital (let alone Mary, lol).

Otherwise, for me they work right out of the carton.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
[QUOTE="....most listeners will be wowed from cold however those with Intona Ultimates as their reference will need to give it a bit of time. I guess that says as much about the capabilities of the Intona as it does mine![/QUOTE]

Hi Mark,

Can you give some insight to customers who have your previous reference cable how the new one differs.

Cheers,

G

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Hi Geoff, I think this is covered mostly on page 1 of this thread. The biggest difference is the level of resolution and presence, which makes themselves felt even from cold.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Some nice feedback from Blake on Audiophile Style who previously had my entry level usb.

I am loving my 2020 Sablon Reserva Elite usb!. Transparency, air, resolution seem limitless, and it is all presented in a very natural organic way. The sonic improvement is significant. Mark is really on to something here. I will get a review in the epic usb cable comparison thread at a later date.

Reactions: pkaemmerer

RichardA

VIP/Donor
Mar 21, 2017
Calabasas CA
Well I am terrible at sound description but here goes. I loved the way the new usb demo cable sounded in my system. All the things I enjoyed with the reserva elite but so much more. The natural clean sound I like but it was a fuller sound from top to to bottom. The lows were more focused, the the mids richer and the highs clear but never too bright. Every track I thru at the new cable was improved. The new cable seemer to bring out more of what I enjoyed in every song. I was sorry to see it go and will have one soon.

Reactions: onsionsi

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Glad you enjoyed your time with the demo cable Richard and we will need to get one sorted out for when your Extreme arrives.

One of the nice things about this transparency is that it allows people to hear so much more of what their system is capable of, giving a taste of what a weapons grade server can achieve but at a modest price. There is a good reason why they are selling as fast as I can make them!

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Mark,

would it be possible to get the powered version of your new USB cable with USB-C termination at one or both ends?

Thanks

Matt

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Sorry Matt but is only the usual AB format so you would need to use an adaptor. What gear are you using? Regards Mark

It is for a HQ travel system with a new Macbook Pro with USB-C output and an USB-DAC with USB-C input.

Matt

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Not that I know off Matthias. The system you previously described is pretty consumer grade so I would suggest getting a cable of similar quality. If you check out fatwyre.com you may see some options there. One of the issues with usb c is its tiny size which makes working with larger gauges of wire rather difficult. Stay safe in these difficult times, Mark

Reactions: matthias

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Given the latest lockdown announcement, I will no longer be making a daily trip to the Post Office and all small items (mostly digital cables) will now also be shipped by courier. I typically use Fedex for USA / UPS in Europe / DPD for Asia. As shipping has always included in my list prices, unlike industry norms, I’ll cover the extra costs.

sbenyo

Jun 24, 2017
Just received my new Sablon usb 2020 unpowered, replacing my beloved 2017 Elite. Out of the box it sounds exactly as described by others.

More clear and clean, with improved airiness and resolution. Everything is more accurate and clear but without losing the full body I liked so much in the 2017 Elite. Highs and bass have most impact. Highs are crystal clear and sound amazing. Bass is very tight and focused. Everything is just in place to make music flow in synergy.

So far more than meets my expectations. If it still going to improve during burn-in, it's definitely going to be a winner!

Thanks Mark for such a beautiful sounding cable!

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks for your kind words sbenyo and I am glad to hear you are enjoying my new usb cable. The experience should intensify over the next few days as it rakes up some hours, becoming more solid, authoritative and emotionally involving.

I’ll be turning my attention to the ethernet cable over the next few weeks whilst we are all stuck at home. Do stay safe in these challenging times.

wl215

Mar 30, 2020
Have received new 2020 USB for 1 week. Very detailed and well balanced. It gives better sense of depth and space than my old reference and big saving on my pocket too.
New king power cord arrived this afternoon. Thank you Mark for expediting the cable.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Have received new 2020 USB for 1 week. Very detailed and well balanced. It gives better sense of depth and space than my old reference and big saving on my pocket too.
New king power cord arrived this afternoon. Thank you Mark for expediting the cable.

Glad you're enjoying Wilson and your existing Valhalla 2 usb is no slouch! Stay safe, Mark

sbenyo

Jun 24, 2017
Just curious, does anyone use a USB purifier of any sort with the 2020 USB?

This is an interesting question.

I used to have an ISO Regen and JitterBug plug with 2017 Elite. I have not heard significant improvement with the ISO (maybe I did not use it correctly) so I stopped using it. The JB does not work well. USB is not recognized in PC with it. I also had to use the ISO Regen in the opposite way to make it work.

I currently connect to PC using Paul Pang v2 USB card which gives a cleaner USB from the PC side. I did not compare without it. I will try it now to see if there is any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: bodhifile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing