Samsung PN50C8000 3D Plasma Review

cal87

Jun 14, 2010
Tracy, CA
Finally getting a chance to post some comments on my 3D plasma which I have had for about a month and a half now. By no means would I want to update my projector setup, but a smallish flat screen to replace my 768p set in my bedroom was a no-brainer to satisfy my curiosity.

I spent some time at BB trying to compare sets. The lack of available glasses to actually view the sets seems to be a universal problem at BB. At the time I was looking, the choices pretty much came down to Panasonic vs. Samsung. There are a few more options now. The Panasonic may have a slightly better PQ, but the combination of better glasses, 2D-3D conversion, better pricing, and a thinner, better looking set pushed me towards the Samsung. The free 3D Blu-ray player and starter kit were a nice bonus.

As I already had a 3D capable DirecTV receiver and PS3, with the Samsung BD player I had 3 separate 3D sources to play with. As my bedroom setup has no separate audio system, all components were hooked up directly into the Samsung plasma with no issues. I picked up a couple of kids glasses and a pair of rechargable glasses to have glasses for all family members.

Glasses. I find the glasses to be fairly comfortable. I wear contacts during the day, but wear glasses during the evening. As someone used to wearing glasses, I do not really notice the 3D glasses being there. I have had them on 2+ hours with no real comfort issues. Some family members seem to have some fatigue and have to take them off after a while. The only issue I have had is when my kids are jumping around in front of the screen, I occasionally lose sync with the glasses.

DirecTV content. I watched the MLB all-star game and some of the X-Games. Some nice effects here and there. I have seen all of the shows on n3D. Some of them - SOS Planet and Wild Safari South Africa Adventure - were pretty good, the others pretty mediocre. I think football will be interesting.

PS3. I am not much of a gamer - not at all really. The Super Stardust demo is pretty cool, and my kids liked that one a lot. I did not see anything really special with the Motorstorm or Wipeout demos.

3d Blu-ray. Not much content out there. I have watched Monsters vs Aliens, Ice Age 3, and Grand Canyon Adventure. They look pretty good, the IMAX Grand Canyon being the best.

2D-3D Conversion. The only title I have tried is Avatar. The conversion is actually pretty good and fairly convincing. Better than I thought it would be. Probably won't be using it on a regular basis, as I still mostly use my 2D projector.

Overall, I am glad I got it. Something to play with. I think I will be more interested in sporting events for the time being. I see minimal to no ghosting/crosstalk. Pretty good for a first generation product. For the most part, there is just a better sensation of depth - like looking through a window. Not much of the poking you in the eye type of effects - that is probably for the kids movies. Ready for prime time? - not really, but like I said, another toy to play with.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I was at BB the other day looking at the Panasonic 3D plasma. Of course the demo material was pretty good. I wear glasses and needed to put the 3d glasses over my glasses which is a major drawback. (Can't wear contacts).

I'm actually getting another 50 inch plasma to replace my 4 year old Samsung which recently expired. It'll be a 2D set though as I'm not ready to jump in to a first generation technology. And the glasses issue. Gonna have to figure that one out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing