School District Sues Big Tech over Social Media Harm

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think This stuff depends on values in the home and what is taught by the parents. My two kids were also at schools where there were very strict rules against social media all the way until college, at least during school hours. For my kids, their phones are a tool. I’m not saying this is the same for all kids because I see how others are affected.

It is also very dependent on the friends the kids make which is out of the hands of parents unless there are red flags. If one's kids are friends with other kids who use social media then it is unlikely, regardless of what's taught in the home, the kids will not use it too. Plus, not all social media is bad. Just like anything else, it is how you use it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is also very dependent on the friends the kids make which is out of the hands of parents unless there are red flags. If one's kids are friends with other kids who use social media then it is unlikely, regardless of what's taught in the home, the kids will not use it too. Plus, not all social media is bad. Just like anything else, it is how you use it.

Yes, it depends on part on the friend group and the peers. Let’s just say that my wife and I had a great deal of influence over who are children’s friends were because we put them in specific environments as they were growing up. Wholesome environments where there were a lot of activities and homework to keep them very busy. The other parents had similar values to ours and did the same. There was not much idle time. If there was, it was spent without phones floating around in a sailboat or something with their friends or throwing around a lacrosse ball.

Of course if the parents aren’t that involved in their childrens’ upbringing, all bets are off. We have the choice to be proactive or passive. And of course things slip through the cracks and we only do the best we can.

Reactions: Pokey77

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing