SD Player

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
For most of my digital time I have said a CD and a Server should sound the same as they are both computers of sorts. I have been worked over by friend and some industry professionals who are telling me, No, they don’t handle the digital packets the same. And not handling them the same means that CD can operate over SPDIF/AES/I2S and perform better. What is interesting to me is not a CD player, but and SD player. I have been told an SD player is basically the same as a CD. Accept the media is on a SD storage card. Because it is a card, albums and playlist can be loaded for playback. Apparently the way the data is taken of a CD is the same as taken off an SD card. The difference being you don’t have a transport and optical jitter.

I started looking into this further and read a thread on Audiophile Style

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55533-audiophile-sd-card-transport/
There is a bit of confrontation in here as Barrows says a SD player not operating much different than a computer. It therefore should have no advantages over one. I have a pretty decent server and DAC and have been told my DAC performs better when feed by a CD player via SPDIF. When the SPDIF input is optimized of course. But for the most part SPDIF vs USB, I am told SPDIF is going to be the superior protocol.

I read the reviews by 6 moons on the Soundaware player for $4500.
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/soundaware4/1.html
The frustrating aspect is the reviewer is using a non audio source, a laptop to feed his DAC. Of course any purpose built music player is going to sound better than a laptop. So this review has little relevance. But my interest is still piqued.

I also looked into the Quqos QA661 SD player for $700. I could not find anything.
http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa661.htm

And then there is the very expensive Less Loss Laminar.
https://www.lessloss.com/laminar-streamer-sd-player-p-207.html
If you feel the need to spend $91K this is the one for you.

What are digital aficionado hearing about SD Players. Are they the wave of the future. Should I consider one. I do find the Soundaware interesting in that I could drive my server through it for possible higher performance. Basically it becomes a USB to SPDIF converter. But is the gain worth it. Will I get a notable gain in performance using the SD interface.

Rex

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
No one has anything to say? No one has had any experience with an SD player? Only CD.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
No one has anything to say? No one has had any experience with an SD player? Only CD.
At least there is a newer thread about on AS:

Matt

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Deep read. A lot if DIY. Seems they feel I2S is the real benefit. Spdif uses software and a kernal like anything else.

I wonder why Taiko or other major players have not grabbed onto SD. Maybe that says something. Or why they still tether with USB.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I wonder why Taiko or other major players have not grabbed onto SD. Maybe that says something. Or why they still tether with USB.

I suppose the Taiko is outperforming SD and CD transports.

Matt

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I suppose the Taiko is outperforming SD and CD transports.

Matt
I don't doubt that Taiko is better. And if the majority of DAC makers are optimizing their USB input, then i2S benefits are not realized. Without the i2S, it sounds like SD does not have a benefit over other drives holding music files. Pretty much comes down to how software and hardware are applied.

Makes me wonder then what a CD has over files on a hard drive. Why are people claiming a CD is superior. That brings you full circle to, why do people use USB and not SPDIF with a server application.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Makes me wonder then what a CD has over files on a hard drive. Why are people claiming a CD is superior. That brings you full circle to, why do people use USB and not SPDIF with a server application.

I mean up to a certain quality level a CD transport might have advantages in comparison to a server.

The Taiko plays local files and music from streaming services with the highest quality and has the worlds best PCI-USB card inside. Taiko want to be compatible with all formats and all HQ DACs and this is only possible with USB, not SPDIF.

Matt

xero

Nov 3, 2016
I have been using the SDTrans384 for a number of years now. I have not modified it at all. Have compared it to a heavily modified CD transport and it absolutely crushes it every time. A far more organic presentation. It is highly inconvenient. but has been worth the extra work. Makes me wish that a manufacture (Teac VRDS ) would make the ultimate CD ripper.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing