SET amp owners thread

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
NICE THREAD GUYS... BUT adding photos will really super charge this thread, really get it noticed!

SO - PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU POSTS SOME PHOTOS OF YOUR AMPS AND SPEAKERS IN YOUR POSTS. ROUGH AND READY ARE FINE.

I aM wanting to promote this thread in the next few weeks onto the home page, and the next Newsletter. And if we get enough fab photos, maybe set up a SET GALLERY in Media.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Thöress 300B (with Elrog tubes) driving Tune Audio Anima.

Thöress 300B with Tune Audio Anima - for web.jpg

Mani.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Lamm ML2 (the original one) 18 Wt SET, Shindo Vosne Romanee preamp, Avantgarde Duo Omega G2 speakers.
AF3 Tt

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Here is a photo of the system and a second photo with more close up on amps

Attachments

• IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_E3806.JPG
    IMG_E3806.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 201

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
SET LOVE!

Ayon Crossfire Amplifier (30 watts)
Berning ZOTL-40 Amplifier
Luxman MQ300 (coming soon)

First Sound Paramount Deluxe Preamp (dual power supply)
Lampizator Pacific DAC/Pre (can be configured for SE or balanced)

Volti Vittora (104db/w)
PAP Quintet (Horn version)
- modified crossovers
- building custom layered bamboo baffles for them
Devore 0/96
Soundkaos Wave 42
Harbeth 40.2
- the Ayon drives them quite well
- the ZOTL not so much

Hi,

How is your Volti?

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi,

How is your Volti?
I am just getting acquainted with it. You have to live with a speaker for quite some time to really understand it.

First impressions are very favorable. A very nice tonal balance, similar somewhat to the Harbeth which is one oof the best. Of course it is very dynamic and quick on transient response. But no stridency or over emphasized treble response which I find objectionable in many modern designs. I was very curious about the bass since this is my first folded horn bass section. So far, I like it - a lot. but here is a lot to work on as far as setup and tweaking it out to extract the maximum from it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am just gettingacquainted with it. You have to live with a speaker for quite some time to really understand it.

First impressions are very favorable. A very nice tonal balance, similar somewhat to the Harbeth which is one oof the best. Of course it is very dynamic and quick on transient response. But no stridency or over emphasized treble response which I find objectionable in many modern designs. I was very curious about the bass since this is my first folded horn bass section. So far, I like it - a lot. but here is a lot to work on as far as setup and tweaking it out to extract the maximum from it.

Great. Please do keep us posted on how your journey goes with it. Seems to have potential.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Rhapsody's Kondo/Diesis demo system-

Kondo Ginga/SME/IO-M>Kondo SFz>Kondo>Kondo GE10>Kondo G1000>Kondo Ongaku>Diesis Audio Roma Triode Kondo silver cabling from the windings on the IO-M all through the system directly to the drivers of the Roma Triode.
120181018_145517.jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
NICE THREAD GUYS... BUT adding photos will really super charge this thread, really get it noticed!

SO - PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU POSTS SOME PHOTOS OF YOUR AMPS AND SPEAKERS IN YOUR POSTS. ROUGH AND READY ARE FINE.

I aM wanting to promote this thread in the next few weeks onto the home page, and the next Newsletter. And if we get enough fab photos, maybe set up a SET GALLERY in Media.

Aww, man... now I gotta dust my amp off? ;)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am just getting acquainted with it. You have to live with a speaker for quite some time to really understand it.

Volti is good. I have a fully modified Klipschorn by Volti for my second system. It is so much ahead of standard klipschorn and a lot of modern or vintage designs.

jdza

May 3, 2010
As I remain firmly convinced the different drivers in a speaker system are sonically vastly more dissimilar than the amplifiers I continue to run different amplifiers for the various drivers.

As 10 hornloaded 15 inch paper cone drivers will never ever sound the same as a metal dome compression driver I run big fast push pull AB amps on the bass drivers up to 200Hz. In very high eff drivers I would like to avoid any discontinuity in crossover between phases and use single ended amps on these drivers. As no output transformer I have encountered has an absolutely pure low mid I continue to use single ended fets up to 900Hz. As I believe nothing can make a cymbal spash and a violin's upper registers weep like a tube I continue to use the quitest SET I could find in the next decade.As I believe no output transformer can produce the air in that final octave accurately I continue with the single ended FET there.

Not the best of anything but somehow the dish resulting from this seemingly low fi components does please my palette. In the end that is all that counts,not?

DSCN5326 by jdza, on Flickr

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Rhapsody's Kondo/Diesis demo system-

Kondo Ginga/SME/IO-M>Kondo SFz>Kondo>Kondo GE10>Kondo G1000>Kondo Ongaku>Diesis Audio Roma Triode Kondo silver cabling from the windings on the IO-M all through the system directly to the drivers of the Roma Triode.
View attachment 46871

Stunning system!

Reactions: Rhapsody

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Volti is good. I have a fully modified Klipschorn by Volti for my second system. It is so much ahead of standard klipschorn and a lot of modern or vintage designs.

Any photos?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Any photos?
Here it is with fostex t500amkII tweeters. It is all volti, horns, crossovers and bms drivers with crites cast woofers. I changed volti tweeters to these and it was the best sound I could get.

Attachments

• 414C90A9-2CCC-4FA6-9436-22C313B7BF6D.jpeg
    414C90A9-2CCC-4FA6-9436-22C313B7BF6D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 179

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
Happy owner & in home brew:
Magnificient SE300B (Full music.B Mesh/2C51 Western E./EMC274B/LL7901/LL1623/4,5W before clipping).
Driving pair 5 way horn (EV Patrician IV/WE66A/Iwata2"/Iwata1"/Beyma ... passif X-over LR12dB/oct)
Karel

Some pictures ....

Magnificient SE300B SE300B.jpg

Magnificent SE300B & Full 5 way horn
SE300B&5way.jpg

Passif X-over 5way , LR 12dB/oct .... (a never ending tuning )
Xover&Iwata.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Here it is with fostex t500amkII tweeters. It is all volti, horns, crossovers and bms drivers with crites cast woofers. I changed volti tweeters to these and it was the best sound I could get.
Nice second system :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Today I activated another system in another room.
Ayon Crossfire 3 driving the Living Voice Air Scout.
Mids to die for, very good treble, bass unfortunately MIA :eek:
But what transparency and immediacy from the mids up :cool:

Now I "only" need to find something with similar quality up to 350 Hz.
Oh, and with 105 dB/Watt :rolleyes:
:D
IMG-20181225-WA0018.jpg

I managed to upload a snapshot
Sorry for the mess, I just wanted to quickly try how it works in there :oops:

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Today I activated another system in another room.
Ayon Crossfire 3 driving the Living Voice Air Scout.
Mids to die for, very good treble, bass unfortunately MIA :eek:
But what transparency and immediacy from the mids up :cool:

Now I "only" need to find something with similar quality up to 350 Hz.
Oh, and with 105 dB/Watt :rolleyes:
:D
Have you measured how low they really go? My guess is somewhere around 70-80 hz. What about AG basshorns or so DIY basshorn designs that are out there?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Have you measured how low they really go? My guess is somewhere around 70-80 hz. What about AG basshorns or so DIY basshorn designs that are out there?
Will try to measure tomorrow with test tones and SPL meter.
But it's not only that the bass doesn't go low enough, the bass in general is just not really good sounding over all. Quite boxy and dry. Difficult to describe...
They are placed in the very small winter garden/sunroom, so no space for big subs ;)

Reactions: wh01sjongalt

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Will try to measure tomorrow with test tones and SPL meter.
But it's not only that the bass doesn't go low enough, the bass in general is just not really good sounding over all. Quite boxy and dry. Difficult to describe...
They are placed in the very small winter garden/sunroom, so no space for big subs ;)
Are they up against the back wall? What is it made of?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing