SET amp owners thread

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Yes! I’m near field as you’d call it, about 7.5 ft from ear to tweeter. I found the acoustic was better with the system on the long wall, likely due to better symmetry with the window. Room is small at 11x14, but its my living room so I can spend lots of time listening to music. It also essentially solves side reflections, and ceiling/floor ones are dealt with. The room does not suffer from major acoustic issues either, and bass modes are easier to absorb, so This works for me. When speaker positioning is perfectly dialed in, the walls effectively disapear...
That is good. I enjoy near field actually, I can hear EVERYTHING, and with Aries Cerat SET zero fatigue.

Reactions: Cesar Miranda

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
This is. Fantastic thread. It’s so nice to read the discussions and see people’s systems..... I’m a little late posting anything, but here goes...

Avantgarde Duo 2.3’s and Art Audio PX25. I have a few different sets of NOS PX25’s and 274B’s that have been a lot of fun to roll in. It’s taken the amp to quite a different place IMHO. The Nagra VPA’s are for night lights only, as they’re push pulls

F602B031-1969-41B7-A64F-85126151172C.jpeg

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
This is. Fantastic thread. It’s so nice to read the discussions and see people’s systems..... I’m a little late posting anything, but here goes...

Avantgarde Duo 2.3’s and Art Audio PX25. I have a few different sets of NOS PX25’s and 274B’s that have been a lot of fun to roll in. It’s taken the amp to quite a different place IMHO. The Nagra VPA’s are for night lights only, as they’re push pulls

View attachment 48428
. To go to the next level get the Audiopax Amps. You’ll be thrilled. Audiopax and AG is a perfect match.

Reactions: Billygxx

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

View attachment 48428

What a beautiful room! Where is that?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 48428

Nice to see pics. How is the EMT doing.

I always wanted to hear the art audio PX25, I have visited Tom Willis in London and heard his other amps except this.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi cableman - I have always heard that Audiopax make a great pairing with Avantgarde..... the Naga’s aren’t too shabby though;)

Thanks Jeffery T - I’m in Austin, TX....

Ked - I really do love the PX25’s. I’ve had a lot of amps through the door to try and the little Art Audio has always come out a winner. Rolling the tubes is a must though. The VPA’s do up the sound quite a bit in most ways - I think pairing them with the HD preamp adds some system synergy too. Having said that, I keep the PX25; they still do a certain something.

The EMT is doing VERY WELL.... I feel like I’m still getting things right with it, but it’s a fantastic phono preamp. I was planning to send you and Tang a note on it soon.

Reactions: jeff1225

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
PS - I was going to upload another picture or two but the site keeps telling me the file is too large - pics taken on my iPhone. Does anyone have suggestions?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi cableman - I have always heard that Audiopax make a great pairing with Avantgarde..... the Naga’s aren’t too shabby though;)

Thanks Jeffery T - I’m in Austin, TX....

Ked - I really do love the PX25’s. I’ve had a lot of amps through the door to try and the little Art Audio has always come out a winner. Rolling the tubes is a must though. The VPA’s do up the sound quite a bit in most ways - I think pairing them with the HD preamp adds some system synergy too. Having said that, I keep the PX25; they still do a certain something.

The EMT is doing VERY WELL.... I feel like I’m still getting things right with it, but it’s a fantastic phono preamp. I was planning to send you and Tang a note on it soon.

Which PX25 valves? Have you tried the KR?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Which PX25 valves? Have you tried the KR?

The amp came with the larger (original version?) KR PX25’s. When one of them died I ordered new KR’s but they weren’t as good. They seemed to be completely different design, down to physical size and weight and didn’t sound nearly as good. I started searching for NOS and I have a few pairs now. The best are a very old pair of Ballon glass Valvo’s. The rectifier made a huge difference too and I’m using old “Coke bottle” CV378’s here. Drivers are Siemens E188CC/cca’s.

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015

To echo others, truly beautiful room. I am super curious how the Nagra HD preamp blends into your system? I am also an Austinite. Welcome to the neighborhood.

View attachment 48428

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
PS - I was going to upload another picture or two but the site keeps telling me the file is too large - pics taken on my iPhone. Does anyone have suggestions?
I had that problem with my Samsung phone too. You have to resized the picture then it will be ok.

Tang :)

Reactions: Ovenmitt

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Hello,
With the file open on your Computer screen correct rotate/etc and SAVE AS in .Jpg adding number to name -- V1,V2/etc
Save As with this added-- ( this will prevent the ORIGINAL file from opening sideways /etc)
Then in what ever software you are viewing the open file in-- set Pixel width to say 1080px to 1500px MAX @72DPI
make sure the width and height symbol is linked--click OK.

Save as .jpg with the number as above added--insert in Post with the "Insert Image" link.

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Click on the pic on your iPhone, clock on edit, then the second button on the right at the bottom lets you resize easily. Crop a bit and hit done. Then it will upload.

Tang I am not sure how your Samsung tips are important for his iPhone. Next time you want to know how to adjust SME 3012r VTA, please post on kuzma 4p thread

Reactions: gian60 and Lagonda

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks Ked and Tang for helping me with the pics.... here’s some of the PX25’s and rectifiers. And another of the room for anyone interested
E9F4B56E-6524-4B26-A0ED-773417A02065.jpeg 6D64030F-ADB4-41F1-BDA0-CFF10D35A877.jpeg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Ked and Tang for helping me with the pics.... here’s some of the PX25’s and rectifiers. And another of the room for anyone interested
View attachment 48474 View attachment 48475
I need to get my absorber panels behind my speakers off the front walll to let some light into my room like yours. What is the equipment in the middle of your Nagra amps.

Kind regards,
Tang

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I need to get my absorber panels behind my speakers off the front walll to let some light into my room like yours. What is the equipment in the middle of your Nagra amps.

Kind regards,
Tang
Tang, you could try the acrylic SMT wings behind your lovely speakers.
They are look-through transparent.
But I love your room as it is and maybe the transparent SMT wings are not as effective as your current diffusors...

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks for all of the nice compliments on our room. My wife and I have tried to make it not only a great place to listen to and play music, but also a gathering place when we entertain guests.

Tang the piece of equipment between the Nagra VPA’s is the Art Audio PX25 amp.... or the SET;) for our SET owners thread in question.

Not to get us too far from the OP, but about the windows; I have installed RPG “Modview” diffusers. I’m not sure how well you can see these in the pics. They really work well - good diffusion and you still have Windows to let in light and see the world outside - although some people still call the room my “Mancave”..... Here’s a link if your interested: https://rpgacoustic.com/modviewsor/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing