SET based system

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi flez007,

If you don't mind exploring other options for a phono stage within the price range of the FM Acoustic 122, I would recommend the German made SAC gamma phono stage. I have been using one of these for more than six months now and I am very happy with it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Never heard of SAC before mullard88, I will investigate as well, thanks for the heads-up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are in the expensive phono stage game do not forget the Audio Research Reference Phono 2 - it changed my perception of the intrinsic vinyl limits and possibilities. .

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks microstrip - I have it in my short list as well, but still afraid of microphonics from tubed phono preamps handling low output MCs... :(

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I made some changes during the past month or so:

i) I sold the Reimyo DAC, now playing CD with a Gamut CD1R.
ii) i got the WLM passive preamp to equalize the Lyras, nice gadget.
iii) I bought an EAR/Technics 1520 reel-to-reel deck modified by Tim de Paravicini, it opened a new window as for music reoroduction.

Pics comming.....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Flez- ARC uses FETs for the first gain stage so you only have to worry if a tube goes microphonic no more or less than when a tube goes microphonic anywhere else in your system.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks for the clarification mep, I was afraid that was the case of the AR unit as well as many other tubed-based MC phono stages.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If they are pure tube, it is a problem. My Counterpoint SA-2 pre-preamp is pure tube and I have to buy four 6922 types of tubes that have been graded for super low noise.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have added two pieces to my system, first an EAR/Technics RtR deck, modified by Tim de Parvicini for Tape Project, it is the best source I have now for the Viva. Also added a WLM Passiv controller for the Lyras to increase bass response down to 25Hz.

Look at my very sophisticated rack for the Ear/Technics ! :)

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nope, I got those down here in Mexico from a friend that used to have a recording studio, he also provided me with all the maintenance goodies I might need to fix tapes, spacers, virgin tape and the like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing