SET based system

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hey Fernando: Congrats on the acquistion! The Vivas were always wonderful sounding amps on the right speaker system given their limited power. Years ago had the opportunity to hear the Vivas many times at the US importers, then paired with the Viva speakers. Nice combo!

I'd wouldn't be worrying about my DAC with a table like that between the speakers :)

Miles - here is a closer look to my table, it now sports a Blue Angel Mantis MC Ruby cartridge and feeds a Chord Symphonic phono preamp - I would place its character as revealing/transparent/dynamic but has warmth and pace thanks to the Scheu unipivot arm, very fluid tonearm.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Miles - here is a closer look to my table, it now sports a Blue Angel Mantis MC Ruby cartridge and feeds a Chord Symphonic phono preamp - I would place its character as revealing/transparent/dynamic but has warmth and pace thanks to the Scheu unipivot arm, very fluid tonearm.

That is one sexy looking arm. If it sounds 1/2 as good as it looks, it's a winner ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
This is the Chord Symphonic phone preamp - dead quite, very versatile and pretty accurate - if I ever go up I will consider a Viva Fono, an FM Acoustics or maybe a Manley Steelhead... Any comments?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I haven't heard the Viva or the Manley, but the new FM Acoustic 223 phono stage is something you should audition. It is very quiet in itself and it has two push button switches that will remove all the pops and cackles on the lp.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Fernando, I have heard the Manley Steelhead... it's a pretty nice piece and I would certainly consider it if I was looking for a phono stage. Have not heard the FM 223, but I have heard several of their other pieces over the years..none of them did much for me, especially considering their cost:(
The Viva might be a great option as presumably it would match well with your integrated.
As you know, I am pretty enamored of tube based units:cool:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
In this price range I would consider the Experience Music Kahn LCR phono stage:

http://jeffreywjackson.com/kahnLCR.htm

The designer could build to your taste and requirements. Mine comes with mercury rectification and separate stereo and mono inputs.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Fernando, I have heard the Manley Steelhead... it's a pretty nice piece and I would certainly consider it if I was looking for a phono stage. Have not heard the FM 223, but I have heard several of their other pieces over the years..none of them did much for me, especially considering their cost:(
The Viva might be a great option as presumably it would match well with your integrated.
As you know, I am pretty enamored of tube based units:cool:

All the way with you Dave, except that not sure if a phono preamp should also be tube-based due to the very low voltages it handles. I have heard the CAT (that you own) and other tube-based phono preamps and always liked the sound thou.... Go figure.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
All the way with you Dave, except that not sure if a phono preamp should also be tube-based due to the very low voltages it handles. I have heard the CAT (that you own) and other tube-based phono preamps and always liked the sound thou.... Go figure.

The new CAT uses a step up transformer too.

I think that tube phono sections are on the whole, good to go with cartridge outputs of 0.5 mV or more. It's getting more gain without noise, hiss, etc. with cartridges under 0.5 mV that present a problem, though pieces such as the Aesthetix seems to fare pretty well. The other problem with tube phono sections is that even with selecting quiet tubes as say ARC or cj does buy testing the tube in the actual circuit is not perfect. The problem always is, esp. with todays tubes, how long will the tubes stay quiet (and even yesteryears NOS tubes weren't always better).

Right now I'm happily living with both a ss and a tube phono section :)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
One suggestion to you, less the money with bigger the return is to change the tonearm cable, if you are a diyer use 4N silver 28 awg twisted long enough direct to phono amp have the best result , or there are finish products in the market too, around $600 in silver $300 in cooper
cheers
tony ma

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
One suggestion to you, less the money with bigger the return is to change the tonearm cable, if you are a diyer use 4N silver 28 awg twisted long enough direct to phono amp have the best result , or there are finish products in the market too, around $600 in silver $300 in cooper
cheers
tony ma

Good idea tony ma, I am not really a DIY individual but I have at least three friends that are - a lot! - they will be more than happy to try that - one questions: The cable change runs from the cartridge pins or from the connection to the final run at the end of the arm?

The Tacco arm has silver wire (very thin runs) from the cartridge pins to the back of the arm - then a second run from there (a thicker copper one I guess) to the RCA end.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
In my case , I let the cable from cart's pin direct to a MC step up silver transformer's wire,make it minimum in contact , I did try 3N, 4N and 5N+3% gold in silver, 4N is my choice, construction also a issue , I coated the bare silver with thin polyurethane and twist tie and wrap with thin teflon tape out side, no hum problem without shielding, my Clearaudio's arm look like same type of yours, it can easily go through the pipe,picture shows the set up look like , this project only cost less than $100 in 4N silver wire, the change will as big as to up grade a new cart
cheers
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 005..jpg
    Picture 005..jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 239

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
In my case , I let the cable from cart's pin direct to a MC step up silver transformer's wire,make it minimum in contact , I did try 3N, 4N and 5N+3% gold in silver, 4N is my choice, construction also a issue , I coated the bare silver with thin polyurethane and twist tie and wrap with thin teflon tape out side, no hum problem without shielding, my Clearaudio's arm look like same type of yours, it can easily go through the pipe,picture shows the set up look like , this project only cost less than $100 in 4N silver wire, the change will as big as to up grade a new cart
cheers
tony ma

Now I remember having a friend who helped me install an Incognito cable kit to my RB300 and yes, it went all the way from the pins to RCA. I will definitely check it out tony ma, thanks!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
What motor is in your TT AC or DC ? I can see the belt quite thick in your picture, try a very thin elastic thread (from local garment material supply store ) you will find big different in sound quality too , but you need adjust speed after change the belt size and hand turn first before switch on power, sorry said too much to your system, I am also SET lover all my gear is SET include phono , line, crossover and power too I think we are in the same favor of sound quality
cheers
tony ma

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Comments/Suggestions are welcome tony ma :) keep them coming!

1.- What you see as a thick belt is actually a rubber ring that is part of the platter design to absorb/treat vibrations, the real belt is inside the platter structrue that moves a 4 inch polished inner disc that is also part of the large plate structure. The belt is actually quite thin made from advanced materials, so sensitive that Conrad asks in his manual to install it with protecting globes to avoid any grease touching the belt while manipulating it.

2.- Motor is AC and is physically part of the table structure but isolated thru the pilars of the Volvere, here Conrad designed a very clever central point vibration absortion so the table remains dead quite and isolated both from motor vibrations/noise and friction generated by the cartridge while passing on the vinyl.

3.- I was not a SET lover before, I tried at least three SET amps in the past for my late Avangarde speakers and, while creating a very liquid and transparent presentation of musical material, it always kept my hungry for more. It was until the Viva Solista arrival when I got the best of both worlds IMO and In My System.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Elastic thread works as a spring to naturalize the detail of speed change, idea from the designer of SPJ, I did compare with my original belt or non elastic material like sewing thread or fishing line, the feeling of lively and live less is so different, so all my friends in here they all change to elastic thread, worth to try if your belt can't stretch that much and cost so little ($4 a roll can last forever )
SET amp is simple in circuit and less parts, sound quality mainly count on tubes and out put transformer , if you have no idea in modification that you can play with NOS tubes, different tube has it's own sound to match your favor
tony ma

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have just received the WLM passiv device to complement my Lyra speakers, this passive device turns the Lyras to a full range 30-20K speaker thru a variable gain control to adapt the frequency response to the room, this can be done by ear or advanced measurement tools widely discussed here at WBF.

I am still trying different speaker positioning since the Passiv changed the speaker behaviour, so far it raised the already good timbre and resolution of this fine speaker.

I will also report on the GamuT CDP trial, first impressions point out that I can take the Reimyo DAC out of the equation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hannes_frick/4641365625/in/set-72157623773218942/

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Flez,

I believe I haven't had the opportunity to compliment you on your wonderful system and room. It is very well thought out and I can almost imagine how it might sound. I'm sure it is a very engaging and satisfying system to listen to music through. Enhorabuena Senor!

Jack

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks Jack, I really enjoy my system, and always on the quest of advice to further improve it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing