Shelter Harmony: The “Chameleon” of the high-end cartridges?

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
I was first introduced to Shelter Audio with the 501-model more than twenty years ago when I was looking for an affordable cartridge at Lyric Hi-Fi in NYC. From the first notes I heard after I installed the 501, I was taken. I liked its smooth sound, level of analysis, musicality, and frequency extension. “It is a bargain,” I thought. Over the subsequent years, I upgraded my record player to a Simon Yorke S-10 along with “higher-end” cartridges from Europe and Japan. The sound improved, but I frequently returned to the 501 for a few weeks at a time.

Fast forward to Summer 2023, in one of my discussions with my business partners at Axiss Audio and importers of Shelter in the US, I inquired about the current Shelter line. I was mostly curious, as I always had a soft spot for the 501. I decided to buy a Shelter Harmony to try and have it as one of my demo cartridges for clients when they visit and want to experience the effect of various cartridges on a system. My expectations were reserved.

As with my original purchase of the 501, the Harmony left me speechless, as well. I could say it was one of the best all-around cartridges I had tried. It was very musical, extended in the highs with plenty of detail, beautiful and “full-bodied” mid-range and deep bass with control and attack. It had outstanding pace, and the performance rendering was extremely engaging. Its analytical capabilities were not distracting the artists’ performance, which always remained in focus. The soundstage, wide and deep with plenty of air between the various instruments and clear articulation.

Compared to my other more expensive cartridges, it was no slouch. Some of those were better in some elements in the audio reproduction and for those audiophiles seeking those attributes, they certainly justify the price premium. However, I found the Harmony most enjoyable in all genres. I listened to many albums that I had not touched for long time. Special mention is those ‘70s and ‘80s rock recordings, many of which are labeled as “poor” recordings. In contrast, they became quite enjoyable. Of course, outstanding pressings were to die for. Furthermore, I experienced the full frequency spectrum at low volumes.

I was so impressed that I started doubting myself. The original audition was done on my Thales Compact II and Simplicity II pivoted tangential arm. I replaced the Simplicity II with the Ikeda 345 CR1 9-inch tonearm. Then, I followed the same experiment with my Simon Yorke S9 record player and the Tri-Planar U2 SE. The Harmony performed similarly with all combinations. It was impressive how the studio performance had moved in my listening room. Out of all the combinations, the only outlier worth mentioning is that the Tri-Planar U2 SE had noticeably more “weight” in the bass region, without the others being “light.” Far from it.

During the next 3 weeks, I am expecting a Reed 3C turntable with their 5A pivoted tangential arm with the Reed head shell as well as a custom SME-type removable mounting, the Reed 3P arm and the arm board for the Ikeda 345CR1 arm. I have ordered a second Harmony, so I can have both arms play with same cartridge. I will post my new findings in about 6-8 weeks.

Concluding, I am not advocating that the Shelter Harmony is the best cartridge on the planet. However, I recommend that at minimum an audition is a must. You may be similarly pleasantly surprised. In my case, it has earned a permanent position in one of my turntables.

Full disclosure: Locrian Audio has become recently a dealer for Shelter cartridges.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0922.jpeg
    IMG_0922.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 15
Basile, it's been since the early 2000s since I used the Shelter 901 at CES in a Tri-Planer arm. It was lovely then, so based on your recommendation, I will revisit them. Always great value for money! Wonderful seeing you at Axpona my friend!

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Hi Gary, It was great seen you at AXPONA as well. Your system sounded great. For me, it was one of the top 2 at the show. The Shelter Harmony on that set up will be out of this world!!! Take care, B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing