Shunyata Everest vs Audioquest Niagra 5000

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
I know this might not be fair and the more logical comparison might be with Everest and the Niagra 7000.
I dont have a dedicated line. I tried the Everest(with the Sigma xc) - after letting it burn in for about 100 hours, maybe i should have let it burn more.
I did find improvements in stage - instruments had better space, but thought the vocals lost some timbre/ warmth.
When i did take it out vs put it in it wasnt night and day
I have measured the noise on my lines and its pretty good, less than 25milli volts.
Has anybody compared the niagra 5000 with the latest Everest 8000. Whats sonically the better buy for someone without a dedicated line?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
What power cables were you using with each? I suspect that if you're using AQ PCs with the Everest, you will not hear what this unit can do. (I'm commenting as an AQ 5000/Hurricane owner with some interest in Shunyata's newer power products.)

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
with the everest - sigma xc
With the niagra - hurricane to the conditioner / dragon to my amp

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
What about from the Everest to the amp? Is the amp the only thing attached to the Niagara/Everest? (I would expect preamps and source components to benefit most, as frequently the recommendation is to plug amp(s) directly into the wall and everything else through the conditioner.)

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
OK, so what brand/model cables were used to attach the pre/DAC/source used with each conditioner?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I know this might not be fair and the more logical comparison might be with Everest and the Niagra 7000.
I dont have a dedicated line. I tried the Everest(with the Sigma xc) - after letting it burn in for about 100 hours, maybe i should have let it burn more.

If you don't have a dedicated line, you probably don't have a 10 AWG line from breaker box to outlet either, but a thinner 12 AWG line, on which other components beside your amp and sources draw current. This is not an ideal situation for your system, and for power conditioners.

I woukd get the electrical fixed first with a dedicated 10 AWG line (preferably shielded, like a 10/2 MC cable), and then test power conditioners in your system.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Probably a fairer test would be with the Niagara 7000 and the Dragon HC power cord.

ozzy

Reactions: scot

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
I demoed both the 5000 and the Danali (not Everest) in my system and for me the Shunyata was better. However, from what I understand the one you prefer largely depends upon the power at your home. In my case my power was steady but very noisy which is a good match for the Shunyata but if your noise is low but variable the 5000 is by far better. The Denali in my system was most likely the biggest upgrade I have made in years... and I'm a long time cable & in particular power cord denier! Now a convert. Who knew a 50 something could be taught anything,

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Actually, in a 2m length, the US list for AQ Dragon HC is 9,800 (Firebird HC 2m is 5800; Hurricane HC 2m is 2500); whereas Shunyata Omega XC 2m is 7350 (Sigma V2 XC 2m is 3410). There is not a great price match between these two vendors in traditional 2m length.

If you own your own home, you may find that Al's suggestion that you install a 10 AWG dedicated line yields an improvement comparable to changing your power conditioner/PC configuration - at a small fraction of the cost. And running a second dedicated line at the same time will also most likely be a no brainer.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Actually to connect up to the Niagara 7000 only a 1 meter is needed. And it can be purchased in the $3000 range.
I have 10 gauge dedicated outlets terminated with Furutech NCF outlets. The Niagara 7000 still really improved the sound quality. And, my mono block amps are plugged into it. Something not recommended with the Shunyata equipment.

ozzy

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually to connect up to the Niagara 7000 only a 1 meter is needed. And it can be purchased in the $3000 range.
I have 10 gauge dedicated outlets terminated with Furutech NCF outlets. The Niagara 7000 still really improved the sound quality. And, my mono block amps are plugged into it. Something not recommended with the Shunyata equipment.

ozzy

If the Shunyata Everest is like the Denali v2, you can plug in the power amp, no problem. With the Denali v1 this was not possible indeed, without penalty. The new Shunyata stuff is that much better.

But again, that also depends on prior installation of dedicated 10 AWG lines from breaker box to outlets, as you have them.

Reactions: ack

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
If the Shunyata Everest is like the Denali v2, you can plug in the power amp, no problem. With the Denali v1 this was not possible indeed, without penalty. The new Shunyata stuff is that much better
As a Denali owner I find it interesting that each new model is claimed to not have an impact on Amps plugged into them. But each time I plug an amp into these things the effect is always the same. That being one of disappointment and then me plugging my amps right back into the wall again. To be fair, I didn't by my Denali to use with my amps but just for kicks I always try them plugged into the various power cleaning devices I've owned over the years in hopes that maybe it will surprise me, this time.

If I had unlimited funds I would take them up on any claims that, again this time, they got it right in terms of being able to plug Amps in with no drawbacks in SQ. But that's just not possible in my case so I'll live with what I got never really knowing if they did finally get it right. I just find hearing this same story after each version a bit old.

I do however like what the Denali does for the sound of my front end components. Not complaints there.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Amp is to the wall. Preamp / dac/ source to the conditioner
Amp to the wall is a bit dated thinking lately. Many conditioners no longer limit the amp in any way from a current power delivery standpoint. And you do get benefits from the lower noise. I get no loss of current or any ill effects from plugging either of my two amps into the Everest.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
As a Denali owner I find it interesting that each new model is claimed to not have an impact on Amps plugged into them. But each time I plug an amp into these things the effect is always the same. That being one of disappointment and then me plugging my amps right back into the wall again. To be fair, I didn't by my Denali to use with my amps but just for kicks I always try them plugged into the various power cleaning devices I've owned over the years in hopes that maybe it will surprise me, this time.

If I had unlimited funds I would take them up on any claims that, again this time, they got it right in terms of being able to plug Amps in with no drawbacks in SQ. But that's just not possible in my case so I'll live with what I got never really knowing if they did finally get it right. I just find hearing this same story after each version a bit old.

I do however like what the Denali does for the sound of my front end components. Not complaints there.
In my own personal experience the Everest is a big leap over the Denali in every way.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
For amplifiers look for devices with larger transformers. Audioquest 7000 and older Running Springs Audio products. Several other manufacturers also produce these. The expense associated with these is usually higher.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Amp to the wall is a bit dated thinking lately.
Respectfully disagree. The preference for high powered amps into the walls comes from no less an authority than Caelin Gabriel.

ALL conditioners have advantages and disadvantages. They all impart some of their character on the sound product. It's unavoidable. Use them if you need them, but be honest and do the proper comparisons with the best control condition possible (generally the addition or omission of a single component). Unfortunately, its hard to be honest and remain unbiased once you've paid your money and bought one. I can tell you many stories of genuine stupidity on my part in this regard whereby several months after purchase I did a re-assesment of the benefits of some conditioners and suddenly thought "what the hell was I thinking?" Self-deception can be a bitch! .

By the way, while the benefits of the top line conditioners are often widely lauded (i.e. Shunyata or Audioquest Niagra), don't be fooled by the price tag. The most expensive does not necessarily mean "best". For example, the Furman IT-Ref 20i is not only a superb unit, but it was designed by Garth Howell who designed the Niagra and costs half the price of the Niagra! Audiophiles will typically buy the Niagra or some expensive equivalent however Furman is probably the most commonly used 20A power conditioner used in professional recording studios. That should tell you something.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Respectfully disagree. The preference for high powered amps into the walls comes from no less an authority than Caelin Gabriel.

ALL conditioners have advantages and disadvantages. They all impart some of their character on the sound product. It's unavoidable. Use them if you need them, but be honest and do the proper comparisons with the best control condition possible (generally the addition or omission of a single component). Unfortunately, its hard to be honest and and unbiased once you've paid your money and bought one. I can tell you many stories of genuine stupidity on my part in this regard whereby several months after purchase I did a re-assesment of the benefits of some conditioners and suddenly thought "what the hell was I thinking?" Self-deception can be a bitch! .

By the way, while the benefits of the top line conditioners are often widely lauded (i.e. Shunyata or Audioquest Niagra), don't be fooled by the price tag. The most expensive does not necessarily mean "best". For example, the Furman IT-Ref 20i is not only a superb unit, but it was designed by Garth Howell who designed the Niagra and costs half the price of the Niagra! Audiophiles will typically buy the Niagra or some expensive equivalent however Furman is probably the most commonly used 20A power conditioner used in professional recording studios. That should tell you something.

I have plugged both my amps into both the Everest and the Synergistic Research Galileo SX and not had any negative impact on sonic performance. And in both cases, the noise floor dropped materially.

Also, I believe Shunyata advises you to plug your amp into the Everest.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Both of my amps (Pass X600.5) are on their own dedicated 20 amp line. Other than the amp on each line, nothing else uses either line. While the amps sounded fine plugged directly into each line, after I added a Shunyata Denali 2000 to each line they really improved. I was impressed at the positive improvement the Denali made to the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing