Shunyata Gemini: power distributor & Altaira ground-plane noise reduction hub

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I recently bought the new Shunyata Gemini combination power distributor/"Altaira-type" CG ground-plane noise reduction hub for my remote music server room.

The back-story:
I've been using a Shunyata PS10 power distributor in the remote server room for the last year or so, and found that using it for powering the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router and the power supply for the Sonore OpticalModule (the "upstream" FMC) provided a notable improvement in audio quality.

So...when Gemini, which combines power distributor functionality AND Altaira-type CG ground-plane noise reduction capability into a single unit came on the market a month or so ago, I bought one with the thought that the remote server component system might be a perfect application for Gemini, being able to take advantage of quality power distribution AND ground-plane noise reduction of the streaming source devices.

Back when I was using my LampiZator Baltic 3 DAC and complex SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge "set-up" in combination with EtherREGEN in the main rack, I noted a significant improvement in audio quality simply by connecting ER's ground terminal to Altaira, as shown here.

However, when I bought the Lumin P1 and moved EtherREGEN into the remote server room in place of the Sonore OpticalModule, I no longer had an Altaira to connect to ER's ground terminal because the Altairas were still located in the main rack. What to do?

Enter Gemini.
From the product description:
A two-in-one power conditioner and ground-plane noise reduction hub, the Shunyata Gemini Model-4 is ideal for small high-end systems, headphone setups, and network closets.

Capable of powering 200-watt amplifiers in spite of measuring just 4.77 x 12.25 x 5.88 inches, this mighty mini leverages Shunyata’s proven NIC noise isolation chamber technology to provide a common grounding point for the components to which it’s connected — as well as beneficial noise suppression rated at 24dB from input-to-output.

Here's some pics...

The rear panel has 4 component/device outlets and four Altaira-type ground-plane noise reduction terminals and uses a standard C15 power cord.

When I saw Gemini, it occured to me it might be the perfect solution for the devices in the remote server room. So...I bought one.

I ran it in for 5 days after getting it as the main rack's power distributor, and it's an absolutely terrific-sounding power distributor. I'll add that the original Shunyata Triton V1 from back in the day provided approx. -24 dB of noise reduction, and the little Gemini is right in line with that.

AND, it has a four-terminal Altaira-type ground plane noise reduction system built-in.

After running it in for 5 days or so, I moved it into the remote server room and connected my network music server devices: the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark power supply that powers both the AfterDark Master Clock and EtherREGEN.

You can also see an Alpha CGC ground cable that connects EtherREGEN's ground terminal to Gemini at lower right.

Here's the set-up of the music server devices in the spare room resting on an IKEA Lack table....the Alpha CGC runs down to Gemini. The EtherREGEN connects via a run of LC/LC optical fiber out of ER's A side to the Lumin P1 in the main rack. I've found I get best noise-reduction by connecting the Pace router's Ethernet cable to ER's B-side, and ER's "moat" prevents noise from the dirty Pace router from getting through to ER's A-side, the side where the optical runs out of.

And...it sounds GREAT!

The networked streaming devices, Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark master clock are getting clean, quiet, and quality power distribution, and EtherREGEN has ground-plane noise reduction. Implementing this set-up provided a notable reduction in AC noise, ground-plane noise, improved clarity, "open-ness", and a much quieter, more natural and engaging presentation. My next steps will be to get a USB-A and RJ45 ground-cable "tail" and connect ground cables with those tails to an unused USB port on the Mac Mini Roon Core and an unused RJ45 jack on the Pace router over to Gemini "Altaira" terminals. This should provide additional levels of ground-plane noise reduction. Once I get those in, I'll provide an update.

In conclusion, if you're using a "network closet" or "remote server room", where your router, music server, hard drives, master clock and Ethernet switch and attendant power supplies are remotely located away from the main audio rack (which provides obvious advantages), Gemini might be well-worth considering. Sure worked very well for my set-up. Cheers.

Last edited:

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Very cool!! Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good all-in-one for small systems!

What was the 20A cord you ran into it? It looks like a Venom HC...

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Very cool!! Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good all-in-one for small systems!

What was the 20A cord you ran into it? It looks like a Venom HC...
Yes, actually one of the applications it was designed for was headphone and headphone amp/DAC applications.

Yep, that's a Venom HC v2 (version 2). Good eye, Keith! Actually, it's a 15 amp Venom HC v2 as the IEC inlet on the 4-outlet Gemini is a 15 amp inlet. The Venom HC 2 was the only C15 PC I had around that I wasn't using. It's an excellent power cord, so its perfect for this application. Actually, now that I remember, the Gemini is presently being sold as a "bundle" with Gemini and a Venom HC v2 C15 PC for $1995. That's a great price because the price of a Venom HC v2 on it's own is $300, so you're effectively getting Gemini for $1700, which is a screamin' deal.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Hi @Puma Cat
Very interesting thread for sure. And even more interesting for me that you have the Pace Router (BGW210). I have a thread where I've been asking for input on powering the BGW210 and the ONT; currently I am using the ATT-provided wall warts but want to get them out of the system. I'm curious what LPS you are using to power these items? If you'd go to my thread (1) LPS for ATT Router + ONT (optical network termination) | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com) and share what you are using, that'd be really helpful. You can also read what possible options I've considered so far. Regards

Reactions: Lee and Puma Cat

craigr

Dec 5, 2022
Has anyone tried the. Gemini or another Shunyata power distributor with a Mac Pro, external raid disk drives and monitors? I am curious as to whether there is any improvement when such systems are used in a strictly computer system, e.g. clearer images on the monitors. Thanks

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Has anyone tried the. Gemini or another Shunyata power distributor with a Mac Pro, external raid disk drives and monitors? I am curious as to whether there is any improvement when such systems are used in a strictly computer system, e.g. clearer images on the monitors. Thanks
Hi Craig,
Actually, I've had a hypothesis exactly along your line of questioning for some time, now. I've noticed that Shunyata power distributors and cables provide a notably clearer and sharper picture on home theatre HDTVs, with clearly "blacker" blacks. I do some professional photography, and for that application, using a profiled or calibrated display are critical to obtaining color accuracy. Color accuracy to reference color gamut is measured by a metric called, Delta-E. My hypothesis was that these power distributors might provide an improved Delta-E when profiling a color monitor that can be profiled or calibrated (BTW, profiling and calibrating a display are not the same thing). Example displays that may benefit from this are professional color editing displays e.g. those from Eizo, BenQ, and Dell. Unfortunately, NEC is no longer making a professional color-editing display that can be calibrated. Dang, those NEC Spectraview Wide-Gamut Displays were superb and affordable. Urg.

So, my 'long-winded' answer to your question is: Yes. Whether they actually result in a lower Delta-E for displays that can be profiled or calibrated, I need to gather some data on that.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing