Silvaweld SWC1000

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Hi all,

I have a Silvaweld SWC1000R pre-amp, supplied by Black Forest Audio in Germany, way back in 2003.

I've recently noticed that I'm having to turn the volume up more than I usually do. eg, Last year, volume number 18 was about as loud as I'd go with a CD source. Now, it's at volume number 24.

Other than that, the pre-amp appears to work perfectly and sounds very good.

I've since noticed that the meter on the power-supply is reading 25-30 rather than 45-50 which I believe it was reading before.

I seem to remember being told by the dealer that the meter should read 48 for proper operation.

Does anyone have a SWC1000 - and can confirm what the reading should be - and any instructions on how to bias it would help?

Thanks,
--Jatinder

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Jatinder

I also have a Silvaweld SWC 1000R and I haven't noticed any abnormalities, but I have to admit, that I haven't used it in quite some time now.

I would try to change the tubes in the Power Supply as a first measure and see if that cures your Silvie.

Did you ask Black Forest / Gerd Volker Kühn for help?

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Hi Christoph,

Yes, I've asked Herr Kühn for some advice - I'm waiting on him to check what the meter reading should be.

I've already replaced all the valves to see if that would change things - changing the 300B makes the meter reading change - but it's still way less than I expect.

Are you able to try yours and read the meter on the power supply?

In terms of biasing, Herr Kühn gave me all the details for the audio section when I bought the pre-amp, and as far as I know, only the EF86 in the power supply needs to be biased via a pot.

Thanks,
--Jatinder

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Christoph,

Yes, I've asked Herr Kühn for some advice - I'm waiting on him to check what the meter reading should be.

I've already replaced all the valves to see if that would change things - changing the 300B makes the meter reading change - but it's still way less than I expect.

Are you able to try yours and read the meter on the power supply?

In terms of biasing, Herr Kühn gave me all the details for the audio section when I bought the pre-amp, and as far as I know, only the EF86 in the power supply needs to be biased via a pot.

Thanks,
--Jatinder
I hope Herr Kühn will have a solution for you and that he will respaond soon.

Pity that exchanging the tubes in the PS didn't change a lot :confused:
Did you bias the EF86 in the PS? What value should the EF86 be biased for?

I will switch on my Silvie to have a look at the meter.

Do you also have spare tubes for the preamp section to try?

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Yes, I've replaced all the valves in both sections.

--Jatinder

• Sad
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, I've replaced all the valves in both sections.

--Jatinder
That is a pity :(

Sorry, I forgot to check the value on the Silvie PS yesterday.
I hope I will remember to do it this coming evening :oops:

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
No problem.

Thanks for the help,
--Jatinder

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
No problem.

Thanks for the help,
--Jatinder
I hope I don't forget again to check as the Silvie is in the downstairs system :oops:

Oops, I just realized you also have the gigantic Silvaweld Aphrodite preamp and Kronzila Monos!
How cool is that :p

Can you describe the sonic difference between the SWC 1000 and the mighty Aphrodite?
I only saw pics of the Aphrodite but have never heard one :eek:

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
The Aphrodite is fully balanced and uses the same tubes as the SWC1000 - plus another 4 Russian valves and 2 more 6922's (from memory).

The best way to describe the difference is as follows:

The SWC1000 using the highest quality NOS valves (including real WE417A's) sounds extremely neutral and detailed with beautiful bass texture. (I've used lots of different 417A/5842 valves and the WE417A's have sounded the best especially in the bass region - but they become microphonic very quickly unless the voltages are dialled down from the recommended 5.5V to 5.2V.)

The Aphrodite does this with cheap tubes - although it's much trickier to bias correctly!

To my ears, the Aphrodite has an extended frequency response - and may be slightly richer in the mids - but there's very little to differentiate them except size and weight!

--Jatinder

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The Aphrodite is fully balanced and uses the same tubes as the SWC1000 - plus another 4 Russian valves and 2 more 6922's (from memory).

The best way to describe the difference is as follows:

The SWC1000 using the highest quality NOS valves (including real WE417A's) sounds extremely neutral and detailed with beautiful bass texture. (I've used lots of different 417A/5842 valves and the WE417A's have sounded the best especially in the bass region - but they become microphonic very quickly unless the voltages are dialled down from the recommended 5.5V to 5.2V.)

The Aphrodite does this with cheap tubes - although it's much trickier to bias correctly!

To my ears, the Aphrodite has an extended frequency response - and may be slightly richer in the mids - but there's very little to differentiate them except size and weight!

--Jatinder
Thanks for your elaborate answer :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I just checked, it says a little below 35 mA

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Hmmm, maybe I'm just mistaken then...mine is reading 25-30 and I'm pretty sure I can adjust the EF86 a little which increases the read-out.

I'll give that a go at the weekend.

Thanks,
--Jatinder

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing