Simplifying the System

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I've made the decision to significantly simplify my system. After over a decade of a using a fairly complex system comprised fully of "separates" and the complex clusterf*ck of optical fiber/Ethernet/USB digital cabling, switches, clocks, and network bridges, power supplies, and the attendant power cables for the power supplies for the networked digital front end, I've decided to simplify and "integrate" my system and move towards "ideality*" as espoused by Geinrich Altschuler*, who developed TRIZ.

With that, I've decided I'm going to sell my CJ LP70S power amp, First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 Si-III dual-mono preamp with external dual power supplies, my Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC, all the streaming gear in the main rack, and all the requisite cabling attached thereto.

Not counting the TT & phono pre, as soon as possible, my amplification system is going to be comprised of only two components:

a Lumin P-1 streamer/DAC/preamp...

and a Constellation Inspiration integrated amp...

After fiddling with a complex remote-server streaming system set-up comprised of, in the main rack alone, an EtherREGEN, a SOtM network bridge, an AfterDark Master Clock, each with their requisite Ethernet cables, clock cables, USB cables, ground cables, and power cables for their power supplies, blah, blah, blah, I'm going to simplify and run a single optical fiber cable straight into the back of the Lumin P-1 and connect it via a single pair of ICs to the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp. Job done! :D

I'll also be able to remove a number of components and cables: 4 power cables, an Ethernet cable, a USB cable, and a clock cable from the main system: 6 fewer devices and 7 fewer cables in the main rack.

For power, from Everest, gonna run a Sigma NRv2 PC to power the Inspiration, and an Omega QR-s PC to power the Lumin P-1.

I'll only need Venom-X ICs from the Lumin P-1 (XLR) and the EAR phono stage (RCA) to the Inspiration integrated amp, and from there, Alpha V2 speaker cables to the 'Beth 30.2s.

I'll be putting up all the other gear (the Lampi DAC, the First Sound preamp, the C-J LP70S amp, etc.) up for sale as soon as I can take and post some product shots, so, if interested, stay tuned for the corresponding ads, the prices will be very favorable for prospective buyers.

Simpler is better. Just as Linn said all those years ago.

Stay tuned and cheers.

*– Ideality as described by Altschuler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think that’s great! Way too much succumbing to audiophilia nervous with all that computer stuff!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
PC. does it sound better? if so, excellent choice.

time to upgrade your turntable now :p

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am a fan of system simplification. Tom Mallin posted elsewhere his recent acquisition of the Dutch and Dutch system 8 for the same reason.

Full disclosure. I represent a brand of Dutch loudspeakers named AEquo Audio. Their Stilla, pictured below comes in a full active configuration. Add a Lumin X1 DAC/Streamer into the mix, a pair of interconnects and power cords and viola, killer system with few compromises! The total system cost is $40-45k, including cabling.

PS The Stilla's, despite their small size produce sub 20 hertz bass without the use of DSP. Hard to believe but 110% for real.

While I don't expect audiophiles will ditch their separates anytime soon, I view the increasing availability of simplified, high-performance systems as a real plus for the industry.

. AequoStilla-1.jpeg

Reactions: KLH007 and GSOphile
Sep 10, 2022
I was thinking the same thing

Aurender n30 > lampi horizon > Audionet humboldt , done

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I guess no later than 3-5 years most users will switch to a simplified setup.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I guess no later than 3-5 years most users will switch to a simplified setup.

I like to think that I keep things relatively simple from the get-go by avoiding footers, power conditioners, exotic fuses, exotic AC outlets and wall plates, grounding boxes, additional isolation platforms for component stands shelves, cables that require ground connections, etc.

This comment is in no way intended to criticize or denigrate audiophiles who enjoy experimenting with, and employing, one, or more, or all of these kinds of devices. I very much respect audiophiles who have the patience to experiment with these devices and tweaks, and to figure out what they like and don't like. I just choose, arbitrarily, not to experiment and not to explore these options.

I totally understand how exploring these devices and researching them and making all kinds of sonic comparisons can totally be fun. If a positive consensus develops about a particular tweak I might try it myself. I just personally don't have the patience for the experimentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubinken

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I like to think that I keep things relatively simple from the get-go by avoiding footers, power conditioners, exotic fuses, exotic AC outlets and wall plates, grounding boxes, additional isolation platforms for component stands shelves, cables that require ground connections, etc.

This comment is in no way intended to criticize or denigrate audiophiles who enjoy experimenting with, and employing, one, or more, or all of these kinds of devices. I very much respect audiophiles who have the patience to experiment with these devices and tweaks, and to figure out what they like and don't like. I just choose, arbitrarily, not to experiment and not to explore these options.

I totally understand how exploring these devices and researching them and making all kinds of sonic comparisons can totally be fun. If a positive consensus develops about a particular tweak I might try it myself. I just personally don't have the patience for the experimentation.
All I can say is: If you've not yet tried an Altaira...you should.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All I can say is: If you've not yet tried an Altaira...you should.

The Altaira looks interesting. Perhaps you could start a separate thread on it and tell us the sonic improvements it has delivered to you?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing