So Long VR-9 SE Mk.1s

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The full scope of work entails taking out all the drivers so they can do a lot of internal stuff to the cabinets themselves. Then the crossovers are replaced along with the new midrange drivers. Jim's 9s were completed, tested and listened to last night. How was it? I now officially have insomnia as I await my turn. This is not an upgrade. This is a NEW speaker. Jim's 11s will hopefully be done by noon of Sunday.

Here are some pics as of two days ago. Yesterday was XO day. No picture taking allowed :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Albert and Damone's Visit to the Philippines

Here are a few pictures from yesterday afternoon's session and send off party for Albert and Damon Von Schweikert after a week of work upgrading Jack and Jim's VR 9s and VR 11 into MKII editions.

Below, Albert listening intently.

With our local distributor/good buddy Jack:

Jack, Albert, Damon, and I.

Albert and Damone doing some final tests on the room with a spectrum analyzer.

Thanks so much to our good buddy Jack for hosting the meeting with Albert and Damon. It was such a pleasant and informative session, I learned many things I don't get from reading audio net-zines. ;) Congratulations, Jack, the upgrade is so so worth it and I know you're one happy man. What an effort by the VS father and son team to fly 5000 miles to share with us their knowledge and expertise in loudspeaker technology.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And the sound, btw, has GREATLY improved. Very much alive, and revealing of the nuances of the recording. Vocals has a lot of bloom and the bass, improved definition, weight and speed. Wow, what a difference a week makes. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nervous about folks liking it? Hardly! :)

I was under a heard vs measured test! The challenge was for me to set up the new loudspeakers all by myself (positioning and rear controls for amplitude and active bass crossover) and Albert and Damon were to listen and measure what I'd done. It sounded flat to me (I didn't use any measurement equipment or test tones just familiar music) and we were going to see how well I did at getting DIN weighted response. I came out flat in the highs, +/1 dB in the midband and midbass +/-2 in the bass and a bit of bass lift. The screen shot of the RTA didn't look like that because the door was open and there was some whispering going on. Well, not too shabby. Doctor's recommendation? Don't make any changes unless I'm really feeling neurotic. So how did I do it? Blind was the best way. I turned off the lights in the front of the room so I had no visual cues for the loudspeaker controls. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!

This speaker is something else. I've not heard anything this size do what these can do, which is pretty much everything. I am the proud owner of a Holodeck. Thank you Albert and Damon!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Jack

Aside from the fact that you have (had) one hell of a speaker, you have one cool room !! :) I love your chair by the way. There is no headrest, but rather a "neck"rest. Very clever! Could you tel us more about that chair? Good looking to ...
Enjoy your fabulous system now .. You are no longer "almost" there ... You have arrived ... Congrats

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Nervous about folks liking it? Hardly! :)

I was under a heard vs measured test!
Sorry, Jack, it was just the fact that everyone else was hanging loose, but ... you've given the reason for being highly attentive: well done! :)

By the way, do you know what that chair and neck rest reminds me of: the feeding machine in Modern Times, with and by Charlie Chaplin! A good laugh even for us modern slickies ...

Frank

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The equipment and room in this set up are a match made in heaven. While seated in the sweet spot, I am truly impressed by the ease in which this system reproduces dynamics and how at extremely loud volume levels, the sound was still easy on my ears. Congratulations to Jack, the owner of this impressive system. Congratulations too to the Von Schweikerts for creating a pair of speakers that sound so natural and at the same time really "WOWS!!" me.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The equipment and room in this set up are a match made in heaven. While seated in the sweet spot, I am truly impressed by the ease in which this system reproduces dynamics and how at extremely loud volume levels, the sound was still easy on my ears. Congratulations to Jack, the owner of this impressive system. Congratulations too to the Von Schweikerts for creating a pair of speakers that sound so natural and at the same time really "WOWS!!" me.

Hi Mullard88,

WOW is the word. A good friend of ours asked me this morning if there is a WOW effect. I told him, it's a WWWOWWW!!! No doubt it's that good. It's got to be the best I've heard in it's class and price range.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Jack,

Your listening chair looks very comfortable, but doesn't the headrest create early reflection problems?

HR..jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
He needs to sit up right. On your butt and thighs, not on the base of your spine.:)

Attachments

• p8300006..jpg
    p8300006..jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You guys are funny :)

The chair is an Auckland by Cassina. http://www.architonic.com/pmviw/277-auckland-cassina/1014668

The top portion is adjustable in height so it can be a upper back rest or a head rest. It's set to be below the head. It's very comfortable so sinking into it happens when in chill mode. I think you guys just witnessed two of my good buddies getting really chilled out. :)

Technically, yes you will get early reflections if you slouch but they are non-intrusive for a couple of reasons. First is that the distance from the ear to the backrest falls outside of the Precedence Effect/Haas time window. Sean has a very well written article on this. The second is that at the frequencies in questions, the pinnae faces the opposite direction from the reflections and high frequencies take a lot more energy to penetrate and/or excite soft tissue and cartilage. You can hear the early reflections if you slouch much lower and turn your head to one side. The sound is similar to the wooshing when you put a conch to your ear but very low in level. Yes, this neurotic guy performed a listening test on a friggin' chair before he bought it! What? You think I'd go through all this and let a chair ruin everything? Hahahahahahaha! ;) ;) ;)

In any case, there is no image smearing and hardly any tonal shifts if you slouch. The frequencies affected are too high. Try it in your own chairs :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,

Your listening chair looks very comfortable, but doesn't the headrest create early reflection problems?

View attachment 2189

This is also my preferred listening position in my home, though my chair is different. My head can rest fully in my chair which is very relaxing to me. Then closing my eyes like our buddy above is doing. Full concentration in a relaxed mode. ;)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Here are a few pictures from yesterday afternoon's session and send off party for Albert and Damon Von Schweikert after a week of work upgrading Jack and Jim's VR 9s and VR 11 into MKII editions.

Below, Albert listening intently.

With our local distributor/good buddy Jack:

Jack, Albert, Damon, and I.

Albert and Damone doing some final tests on the room with a spectrum analyzer.

Thanks so much to our good buddy Jack for hosting the meeting with Albert and Damon. It was such a pleasant and informative session, I learned many things I don't get from reading audio net-zines. ;) Congratulations, Jack, the upgrade is so so worth it and I know you're one happy man. What an effort by the VS father and son team to fly 5000 miles to share with us their knowledge and expertise in loudspeaker technology.

Jack what a gorgeous room you have congrats! When I look at yours and your brothers both which are amazing I do find yours to be more to my liking. When it come to gear I like yours allot but my preference goes towards some of your brothers pces.

Thanks for sharing, it's great because I can show these to my wife, makes me look good :)

Attachments

• duavit[1]..jpg
    duavit[1]..jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 605

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the kind words David and welcome to the Forum! I hope you post your killer rig!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing