So Long VR-9 SE Mk.1s

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The PHI series VACs were lookers for sure! Kevin's a great guy to boot. I wish the guys at Alto Audio hadn't beat me to his line. The 300.1s are one of my favorite high power tube amps (that I could afford anyway). :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Pictures Jack.....PICTURES!

The countdown begins! Less than 24 hours now.

I'll choke your e-mail with full frame RAW images Gavin. Hahahahahaha!

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
simply put, Albert is one lucky designer/speaker manufacturer to have a dealer like Jack. A guy who knows what he's doing, knows how to verbalize his thoughts (not very easy for most people), has very deep pocket and a good guy to boot.... and surrounded by many people like him.

I think it is only now Albert will truly comprehend how good his speakers can be.

now Jack, will volunteering to polish your & your brother's exotic car collection earn me an invite to your room again, and perhaps the the Emperor's lair?

I know Jack is wearing his hobbyist/audiophile hat when he wrote the review.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Unfortunately not Micro. I think I could manage to borrow Randy's REF210s for a day or two but Coltrane would never let his 610's out of his sight, hahahahaha. I could also see if I could borrow REF150s from Senor Lito, the local ARC dealer. We're all pretty tight anyway. I just referred a good client to him a week ago.

Jack,

We heard Randy's VR4MKII (or was it III?) a few years back with his Ref 110, stereo single chassis, though in brand new out of the box condition. A few months later I helped him fit Black Sable KT88s on the amp, removing the stock SED 6550s. Off the bat the sound was silky smooth and very beautiful, of course influenced a lot by a Koetsu Gold Urushi. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@Jadis

Is Randy a member here Phil? That's right they were Ref110s. I was too distracted by all his paintings! What were dafos' amps? The 210s were what Lito went to show with with the Koetsu-EMT front end right? I loved that room!

@Dimfer

Deep pockets? Me? You know my style bro. I'm totally old school. I save,save,save,save and save then cut a hole in my pocket. Hahahahaha. Deep pockets are for guys that have my total net worth in their petty cash fund. The good thing with this style is , financially inefficient as it may be, I've got zero debt. The bad thing is, whatever cash I have is earmarked! Impulse buys are not allowed! :)

As for you Ding, you don't need an invitation to my place. Although I will not refuse any gifts of RUR CDs burned from your MP Drive hehehehe.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@Jadis

Is Randy a member here Phil? That's right they were Ref110s. I was too distracted by all his paintings! What were dafos' amps? The 210s were what Lito went to show with with the Koetsu-EMT front end right? I loved that room!

Jack, Randy is not a member here. I think he is too preoccupied with his paintings and other hobbies. I think Dafos had the Ref 110 as well. I'm not so sure bout the mono's used but it probably was a pair of VT 200s, with the Black and the EMT table. Lito wanted us to replicate that room's sound the succeeding years but I was afraid that we might not achieve that again. One of those magical synergies in audio.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The countdown begins! Less than 24 hours now.

I'll choke your e-mail with full frame RAW images Gavin. Hahahahahaha!

That works for me bro!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Some pre-op phone cam shots to whet your appetite Gavin

Lotsa Parts and Tools

Nines

Elevens

Their flight is arriving ahead of schedule. 6 hours to go.............

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The PHI series VACs were lookers for sure! Kevin's a great guy to boot. I wish the guys at Alto Audio hadn't beat me to his line. The 300.1s are one of my favorite high power tube amps (that I could afford anyway). :)

I always kinda liked the Rennaissance series' looks :) Great sounding too for their time! Kevin always gets the mids right :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That he does Myles. He's been getting tighter bass too. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some pre-op phone cam shots to whet your appetite Gavin

Lotsa Parts and Tools (...)

Are these just the parts to upgrade a single pair of 9 and 11s? :confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whew! What a day! I swear the father and son tandem are machines. They've finished three bass modules already, including testing and measurement.

Those are parts, tools and necessities for two pairs of nines and a pair of elevens. I had absolutely no idea how much work was involved in upgrading these speakers. No wonder these are supposed to be factory affairs. More surprising was the amount of detail they've put into the upgrades. Even the screws for all drivers and plate amps are being replaced with box heads just because these look better and don't strip.

Best of all I'm still trying to digest all the information as we got a full explanation for every single step. Lots of laughter and loads of audio history going back seventy years. I didn't take any pics today but I'll have my camera tomorrow. Off to bed!!!!!

:)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I always kinda liked the Rennaissance series' looks :) Great sounding too for their time! Kevin always gets the mids right :)

Great sounding too for their time! ?? ..for their time? But not so today? Huh? IMHO the thing that separates Albert's speakers from the pack are his crossovers. All of his speakers are extremely coherent from top to bottom to the point where you would swear you were listening to a single driver.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great sounding too for their time! ?? ..for their time? But not so today? Huh? IMHO the thing that separates Albert's speakers from the pack are his crossovers. All of his speakers are extremely coherent from top to bottom to the point where you would swear you were listening to a single driver.

Well I think that Kevin has markedly improved and refined his amplifier designs and sound. I don't see what's wrong with saying that. After all, the Rennaissance is now what a 10 year old design--and my remark doesn't denigrate the amp's sound--just puts it in perspective with current designs. I'd say the same thing about the cj or ARC amps too. I think the switch to Teflon caps made a large improvement in the sound of these manufacturers design--not to mention cj's new driver section design using the 8080 and 6H30 P tubes.

To my ears, among other things, thought the Rennaissance amps I heard (and reviewed) lacked some dynamic impact and low end tightness (I can't remember since it's been many years, whether the Rennaissance allowed for adjustable feedback.)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Myles was referring to VAC Rennaissance Series amps Gavin. Although the same improvements can be said for, say the tower 5s vs todays 5s. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles was referring to VAC Rennaissance Series amps Gavin. Although the same improvements can be said for, say the tower 5s vs todays 5s. :)

Yes, of course.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing