Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Two things:
- The core will be the same for all the systems
- I don't have a bathroom system
:D
If pouring money freely down a drain can be a qualification then all of our systems are acting much like bathroom systems :eek:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Please update after discovering if 2.0 is passable in your bathroom system. :p

This is a valuable remark. Not sure if it is possible given how the program is structured. At least not in ways I'd openly divest.

Though I appreciate that digital is still in a period of active improvement. I remain confused by how many here pursue active use of a program that changes so often. There appears to be no systematic regularity.
It’s about priorities. If I was just chasing best sound quality I’d only be pursuing analogue. The reason I am using Roon is that in my experience it is by far the best way to be led to discover music and also the best music performances. If I could afford it I’d have both a vinyl rig and a great record library and a Roon based system for streaming for sure but Roon would still be the fundamental core and compass for my exploration and discovery of music.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
If pouring money freely down a drain can be a qualification then all of our systems are acting much like bathroom systems :eek:

The constant amount of comments about crappy roon versions shows no signs of relenting.

It’s about priorities. If I was just chasing best sound quality I’d only be pursuing analogue. The reason I am using Roon is that in my experience it is by far the best way to be led to discover music and also the best music performances. If I could afford it I’d have both a vinyl rig and a great record library and a Roon based system for streaming for sure but Roon would still be the fundamental core and compass for my exploration and discovery of music.

In your case I was observing how possible abstinence from updates is. Your reasoning for continued use is perfectly acceptable if not realistic about where the most enjoyment can be had. Which in many cases is a program that handles any conflicts that arise. Reality of today is that means every permutation of OS policing or backend/UI change on a streaming partner site. Not to mention the amount of hardware compatibility and bug fixes passed on or resolved internally. I think you could be mostly alright for a number of months to a year before quirks crept in. Depending on how tightly associated with web browser security protocol everything is.

@christoph The 'unmentionable act' could apply to idea of setting up a roon core under free trial you could flush out of whatever alternate system it got installed on without impact to your one in situ. Not sure how legal or complicated to maneuver into place that idea is in the EU. In some countries any pre-paid CC with a balance would get the trial copy approved.

Reactions: christoph

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
I reluctantly upgraded my core to Roon 2.0 when my iPhone automatically updated to 2.0 and I could no longer connect to 1.8 (1105). I use HQP pass through as I need DSP/Upsampling for my speakers. I think there is an improvement in soundstage depth and texture allowing a more immersive and emotional listening experience. My fears and anxiety have been allayed.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Exactly the same for me

Reactions: the sound of Tao

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I reluctantly upgraded my core to Roon 2.0 when my iPhone automatically updated to 2.0 and I could no longer connect to 1.8 (1105). I use HQP pass through as I need DSP/Upsampling for my speakers. I think there is an improvement in soundstage depth and texture allowing a more immersive and emotional listening experience. My fears and anxiety have been allayed.
I'm trying to upgrade to 2.0 from 1.8, but am stuck ( as shown in screenshot #2). All I know to do is restart the Extreme, but that has no effect. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 19

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
I'm trying to upgrade to 2.0 from 1.8, but am stuck ( as shown in screenshot #2). All I know to do is restart the Extreme, but that has no effect. Any suggestions on what to do next?
can you connect to the core with another device; say a laptop which hopefully has the 1.8 version app then upgrade the core to 2.0

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Can you put in your IP Address of your Roon Core in your browser. If my memory is correct you can upgrade your Core via the browser. Sorry I'm not home so I going from memory. If this is the case you can upgrade to 2.0. I know when I have a Nucleus I use to reboot it via the browser. If this doesn't work contact Roon.

Reactions: Azjya and christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
after your prompting I’ve now settled on 2.0 raat…
I apologize in advance for sounding like a dullard. What is 2.0 raat?

I have wanted to use something other than the Roon engine (like Squeezelite) but I couldn't figure out how to install that on my second (Roon Nucleus+ clone). Neither could Lucas D who (tried to help me ) because he couldn't get into the second server's root directory.

I have not updated yet, but I noticed for the past few days Roon Core randomly stops during the day. Might have nothing to do with being on a legacy platform but it makes me more inclined to update.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

rando

Sep 22, 2019

The second coming of Roon Advanced Audio Transport.

I have not updated yet, but I noticed for the past few days Roon Core randomly stops during the day. Might have nothing to do with being on a legacy platform but it makes me more inclined to update.

FYI you are depicting the textbook scenario that has been employed in recent years to force consumers into new products and platforms with no benefit to them. Most notably iPhone updates that considerably alter the processing and functional usage of legacy models.

Not saying that is the case here. Just noting how closely your honest description mirrors this practice. :)

Reactions: christoph

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Reactions: Gjo

wil

Jul 22, 2015
can you connect to the core with another device; say a laptop which hopefully has the 1.8 version app then upgrade the core to 2.0
I can not. I can log onto my Roon account both on my MacBook and my phone, however there is no way to actually open up the player, audio settings, etc.!

But I’ll try the suggestion to type the core IP into my browser.

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
I can not. I can log onto my Roon account both on my MacBook and my phone, however there is no way to actually open up the player, audio settings, etc.!

But I’ll try the suggestion to type the core IP into my browser.
@wil - I had the same issue as you. My controller (Ipad) updated to 2.0 but my core was still on 1.8. Controller could no longer connect with core.
The fix was to go to the App store with my controller and download the legacy 1.8 version. Your tablet needs to be on the same version as your core for them to speak.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
raat is roon's own output engine, i.e. roon on it's own, without HQP or squeezelite as output engine

Reactions: rando

wil

Jul 22, 2015
@wil - I had the same issue as you. My controller (Ipad) updated to 2.0 but my core was still on 1.8. Controller could no longer connect with core.
The fix was to go to the App store with my controller and download the legacy 1.8 version. Your tablet needs to be on the same version as your core for them to speak.
Thanks— easy solution. Roon should correct this pitfall in their upgrade process.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Roon 2.0.1 is out now.
Problems? Sonic drawbacks?
Or should I go from 2 to 2.0.1?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Roon 2.0.1 is out now.
Problems? Sonic drawbacks?
Or should I go from 2 to 2.0.1?
2.0 is the latest version. Previous was 1.8. I thought I had it figured out as to not allow automatic updates. Wrong! Sneaky little F@@@ers! It was installed unbeknownst to me, they snuck in while I was asleep! However NO DISCERNABLE difference in SQ...

Reactions: engadin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing