Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

FYI
Build 923 sounds much better than 918...
Better than 918 imo. Not as strident/in your face. Perhaps Roon sounds better in Europe than in USA.

Blue58

Last edited:
I understand you but please request this to above people and read their posts again. Why do you ask me, only me?
You started it and people answered to you but you didn't stop even after Steve said he rests his case :rolleyes:

But if it makes you happy:
Could all people in here please stop posting about Wadax versus Taiko or about roon in general and just focus on the SQ of new roon builds versus the last roon build?

Pretty please with sugar on top :p

Thanks in advance :cool:

Better than 918 and imo better than TAS. Perhaps Roon sounds better in Europe than in USA.

Blue58
I'm glad you like 923 better than 918. At least there is hope :D

I seriously doubt that there are regional versions of roon when they can't even handle one version properly :rolleyes: :p

As far as I know, the adjustments on the Wadax are used when users install different cables. Each cable has the difference characteristic. So Wadax users can use 3 these knobs to optimize the signal to DAC.

I use Wadax's optical cable. So I had Javier optimizes it for me. I really do not think about tuning these knobs. Maybe Mike does this better than me.

thanks.
that is entirely consistent with the hypothesis. each cable will have a different capacitance and transmission characteristic that would impact the ramping (i.e. rise and fall times).

edit: posted before seeing request to move to
wadax thread

You started it and people answered to you but you didn't stop even after Steve said he rests his case :rolleyes:

Could all people in here please stop posting about Wadax versus Taiko or about roon in general and just focus on the SQ of new roon builds versus the last roon build?

Will do. I am just as guilty of straying off topic.

Steve Z

Don't you know that sugar is toxic? It's responsible for a huge # of modern ailments!:D

In my opinion Roon 923 is worse than 918

Reactions: Alrainbow
Christoph, I shut down the 4 disabled filters and the difference was quite noticeable. Sound stage was more open and deeper with everything seems quieter and cleaner.
Thank you.

Christoph, I shut down the 4 disabled filters and the difference was quite noticeable. Sound stage was more open and deeper with everything seems quieter and cleaner.
Thank you.
Thanks for trying and commenting :cool:

In my opinion Roon 923 is worse than 918
Interesting.
Kingsrule and Barry favor 923 over 918 and you the other way around.
Can you describe the sonic difference you hear?

Basically, more nervous sound.

Reactions: christoph
Yes they are deleted since you posted it.

Reactions: christoph
Frankly with Extreme I didn't notice too much change. I noticed it when I went to 923. I listened to both Roon and TAS. TAS had more definition, more micro details and was able to involve me more with the music and I preferred it to Roon, however this one had a warmer sound, with fuller mid-bass that was pleasant for a non-critical listener. With 923 in my opinion it has lost that "roundness" to be a more digital sound, which I like less.

Frankly with Extreme I didn't notice too much change. I noticed it when I went to 923. I listened to both Roon and TAS. TAS had more definition, more micro details and was able to involve me more with the music and I preferred it to Roon, however this one had a warmer sound, with fuller mid-bass that was pleasant for a non-critical listener. With 923 in my opinion it has lost that "roundness" to be a more digital sound, which I like less.
Just so that I understand, is this what you mean by "nervous sound"?

I mean that sound that when you have been listening to notes for a while that you are not comfortable, that something is not right that “squeaks”

Interesting thread. I've also noticed a deterioration in Roon's recent upgrades, and Lucas D has mentioned this too. I'd not paid too much attention to it as I'd been fiddling with a few other things in the system, but over a few upgrades, noticed there was something missing. I'm speaking with Lucas likely over the weekend to try a few alternatives so we'll see how that goes. The main issue is that the user experience with Roon is soooo good, it would be hard to move away.
All that said, I've just done the 918 ->923 upgrade and am in the "better" camp. Music seems a bit more dynamic.

I have always found Roon to be a little brighter, less three dimensional and generally less revealing than the same program on Qobuz or Tidal played through the Lumin App on my Lumin X1. But the sonic differences are never substantial and Roon's GUI is a huge advantage even though the Lumin App is also very nice GUI-wise.
I concur with the sentiment in this post ^.

Qobuz via mconnect Player HD sounds clearer and slightly more natural than Qobuz via Roon. The differences are subtle, but noticeable. I'm using a Rockna WavedreamNET>Bricasti M3 DAC.

I do enjoy the benefits of Roon (e.g. Roon Radio and streaming radio).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing