Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

A squeeze lite as end point is to me better then Roon alone
a squeeze alone is better in some ways
Roon to HQ is still the best I hear but it’s hard to pic the right settings for all music in HQ
the new hq is even better on redbook if I just upsample
to 24/192 and I hate upsampling any music
squeeze is faster , thinner and a faster decay
but when set up in your system it’s very good
changing the playback method is like hearing our old music new again like MQA it’s a remix in part to eq change I think

Reactions: mooncrikit
For those of you updating and upgrading to Roon 2.0 later today make sure that all of your Roon Cores/Servers are up to 1105 and your Roon Bridges are up to build 1125.

If you are running RopiEee endpoints/network transports chances are you should be fine.

If you are running PI-based endpoints with DietPi for, I suggest logging in as root and updating your DietPi and all of its associated services to the latest versions.

Those finding their Roon Bridge version NOT updating and getting an error finding update on the server, log in as root in the configurator uninstall Roon Bridge and Roon Services, Log out. of the session, and then log back in again and re-install them. You will find that they will then update to the latest pre-2.0 build of 1125.

Make sure that your network hardware is configured properly. And that you have access to the configuration console for your respective routers. In most cases you should be able to type the IP address of your router into your browser, and unless you made changes to the username and password, you can google the such information - defaults for most routers on the market.

Good luck today.

Reactions: christoph and Cyrus
Roon 2.0 on the Taiko Extreme and Remote. Will listen today.

Early impressions are positive, in terms of sound quality/performance.

Roon 1.8 Build 1105 was favorable to the previous builds.

Roon 2.0 (Core Build 1128; Remote Build 1127; both Production) has also moved forward with respect to sound quality.

I'm especially curious about what folks using Apple based systems will experience and report.

Reactions: christoph
Without a doubt this new Roon 2.0 build 1128 is much better than the previous 1.8 build 1105. The dark sound of Roon has disappeared (at least for the most part), now it is very pleasant to listen to. We'll see in which next build they mess it up again, but right now I really like it.

Reactions: christoph
I now have Roon 2.0 installed on 4 separate devices, 2 as Core, and 2 as Server. Once the updates were available the installations were pretty much straightforward.

I have Roon installed on 7 different endpoints and those needed no installs as last night I prepared and made sure they were updated to build 1125. The RopiEee-based ones were a breeze. The ones I have running Diet-Pi required a fresh update to the latest OS version and uninstalling and then re-installing the Roon Bridge Services and Roon Extension packages. Hence, all endpoints are operational under Roon 2.0.

For those running Roon 2.0 there is now native Apple Mac support for OSX and Silicon. Let's just say things should run even smoother for you all.

For those looking to run Roon ARC, the mobile, take your library wherever you go solution, if your network hardware supports auto UPnP it should work right out of the box. If it does not then you will have to set up a port-forwarding rule to make the IP address of your Roon Core/Server open and accessible to you over the Internet. The folks at Roon suggest using port number 50000 as an example. This port needs to be forwarded for the appropriate IP address, and then you should be on your way. Not sure what Qobuz will have to say about this :)

Good luck.

I now have Roon 2.0 installed on 4 separate devices, 2 as Core, and 2 as Server. Once the updates were available the installations were pretty much straightforward.

I have Roon installed on 7 different endpoints and those needed no installs as last night I prepared and made sure they were updated to build 1125. The RopiEee-based ones were a breeze. The ones I have running Diet-Pi required a fresh update to the latest OS version and uninstalling and then re-installing the Roon Bridge Services and Roon Extension packages. Hence, all endpoints are operational under Roon 2.0.

For those running Roon 2.0 there is now native Apple Mac support for OSX and Silicon. Let's just say things should run even smoother for you all.

For those looking to run Roon ARC, the mobile, take your library wherever you go solution, if your network hardware supports auto UPnP it should work right out of the box. If it does not then you will have to set up a port-forwarding rule to make the IP address of your Roon Core/Server open and accessible to you over the Internet. The folks at Roon suggest using port number 50000 as an example. This port needs to be forwarded for the appropriate IP address, and then you should be on your way. Not sure what Qobuz will have to say about this :)

Good luck.
The guys on AS mentioned you run into severe security issues with enabling UPnP at your router:

Matt

The guys on AS mentioned you run into severe security issues with enabling UPnP at your router:

Matt
Yes, and for those who do not have auto UPnP like myself, I was able to easily add a port forwarding rule to make ARC work. Others disable UPnP and do the same. It is not terribly difficult. But I can see for a lot of audiophiles having it work right out of the box could be a Godsend for them.

I'm more than happy that Roon has native Apple/Mac/OSX/Silicon support in its software. As for folks claiming that this iteration of Roon 2.0 sounds better, there's nothing that I have read or heard from anyone inside and outside of Roon to support that this latest update does anything to directly ameliorate sound quality.

And you will never have read or heard anyone within Roon say they changed something that resulted in a worsening of the sound and yet it has happened.

And you will never have read or heard anyone within Roon say they changed something that resulted in a worsening of the sound and yet it has happened.
Offhand, I can’t think of or imagine any company publicly admitting that a new version of one of their products is worse than an older version. Why should we expect that of Roon?

What I mean is that the fact that daviddavid has not read or heard anything from de Roon, about the improvement in sound, does not mean anything.

Reactions: ICUToo and ronfint
What I mean is that the fact that daviddavid has not read or heard anything from de Roon, about the improvement in sound, does not mean anything.
Francisco, you are free to believe what you want to believe if that indeed makes you happy and comfortable. I know Roon engineers and communicate with them frequently. In so many instances of updates and upgrades the focus has not been sound quality, but interoperability, features, graphic interface and user experience. Again if you want to believe that versions of Roon sound inordinately better than other versions of Roon, that's on you.

Reactions: mooncrikit
Well, maybe since I don't know Roon's engineers, I can only use my ears. It's not a bad system.

• Love
Reactions: ICUToo
For those of you updating and upgrading to Roon 2.0 later today make sure that all of your Roon Cores/Servers are up to 1105 and your Roon Bridges are up to build 1125.

If you are running RopiEee endpoints/network transports chances are you should be fine.

If you are running PI-based endpoints with DietPi for, I suggest logging in as root and updating your DietPi and all of its associated services to the latest versions.

Those finding their Roon Bridge version NOT updating and getting an error finding update on the server, log in as root in the configurator uninstall Roon Bridge and Roon Services, Log out. of the session, and then log back in again and re-install them. You will find that they will then update to the latest pre-2.0 build of 1125.

Make sure that your network hardware is configured properly. And that you have access to the configuration console for your respective routers. In most cases you should be able to type the IP address of your router into your browser, and unless you made changes to the username and password, you can google the such information - defaults for most routers on the market.

Good luck today.
How do you do that? Mine is saying that I need to install a new version. My Roon has a 2.0 (build 1128) and say checking for up dates for an hour. My tablet is 1.8(build 1105) stable.
What do I do?

How do you do that? Mine is saying that I need to install a new version. My Roon has a 2.0 (build 1128) and say checking for up dates for an hour. My tablet is 1.8(build 1105) stable.
What do I do?
The same here ... :confused:

What do I do?
Go to the App Store (or equivalent Android download application) on your tablet device and download the Roon Remote App again. The latest version will be installed (2.0 Build 1128).

Last edited:
The same here ... :confused:
What do I do?

I do no know if it is the proper way to do it, but I stopped Roon in the Extreme using the VNC, started it again and installed a new version of Roon in the iPad and it is playing again!

Without a doubt this new Roon 2.0 build 1128 is much better than the previous 1.8 build 1105. The dark sound of Roon has disappeared (at least for the most part), now it is very pleasant to listen to. We'll see in which next build they mess it up again, but right now I really like it.
I agree- on a quick listen this morning it sounded the best yet to me.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing