Soundsmith Sussurro MkII re-evaluated

Size of arms 9 or 12 inch
I own a 12 it allows me to play the ss smkii gold
Very well
Both of the arms are currently 9.5” arms.

Can you expand on how the Hyperion and the Paua are a contrast to each other?
The Hyperion MR provides levels of detail and expression across my audible spectrum that are balanced and vibrant. This presentation not only provides amazing detail as to soundstage and each musician/instrument in their space, but allows those great delineating details to come together as an interlaced musical performance. It can allow me to feel that special interaction between the players that makes it music… musicians actually playing with each other while maintaining intense detail that I have found to not reintegrate in this way on some some other comparable cartridges.

My focus on reproduction is strongly focused on tone and texture. The ability to trace and reproduce those are very present in both the Paua II and Hyperion MR, but the Paua does not have as open of expression in the treble and actually provides a little perceived increase density in the mids possibly with a decrease in micro refinement. The Hyperion is also able to nuance and present bass textures better. Both cartridges required intense setup to reveal their abilities and with each iteration of improvement they rewarded the efforts. SmarTractor and Analogue Magik were employed in that endeavor. So ultimately The Paua may be a little more forgiving but it does it in a way that does not fail in tone and texture reproduction and still provides engaging reproduction that draws me into the music.

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing