Spectral amps and lifting their grounds

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought the Nordost strip increased the impedance to ground on all but the preamp. I thought all the lines are still connected to ground just designed to make the preamp ground the path of least resistance for noise.
See above post #1

If you use the Nordost then everything is floated (without using cheater plugs) except for one socket where the preamp is plugged in.”

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Elliot sells these so he might have more insight as to how the product is designed. It has to be safe to sell in the EU. Looks like a few WBF members use the QRT products.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Elliot sells these so he might have more insight as to how the product is designed. It has to be safe to sell in the EU. Looks like a few WBF members use the QRT products.

I’ve read the product manual which I believe shows the connections; been a while though

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If I didn’t use a Running Springs Audio conditioner I would try the Nordost QB strip. What I have works well and has not missed a step. The RSA does use a transformer but is not a balanced power device.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
So I have to ask the obvious question: The Nordost power distributor floats the ground in all but one outlet, which is marked "Preamp". The intention obviously is to star-ground everything at the preamp, via the interconnects, with a single path to earth ground from the preamp.

Why would they be comfortably selling it?

Not knowing anything about what Nordest does I don't have an obvious answer, sorry. They may use another grounding scheme to render the product safe (there are several ways to do that), or may simply ignore the safety ground (as well as any safety certifications) on the other outlets. There are varying degrees of "float". :) I had an issue with my subwoofer and added a UL-approved power resistor to increase the impedance from signal ground to safety ground without affecting safety. There are UL (etc.) rules for what you can do, and of course you have to be willing open up the amp and solder in the component(s).

I am absolutely the wrong guy to ask why some of the manufacturers are comfortable selling what they do since I tend to look from a technical point of view rather than subjective or marketing when it comes to many such things. (There are tweaks that do what they say, but in all such cases I have been able to measure as well as hear the result.) I will say I have seen a few power strip isolators that just opened the ground and resulted in a shock hazard. None had the usual UL/CE stickers, although one actually had counterfeit stickers (!)

But again I do not know what Nordest does nor how they are certified and test compliance. It's probably perfectly safe; I do not know either way.

Sorry - Don

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not knowing anything about what Nordest does I don't have an obvious answer, sorry. They may use another grounding scheme to render the product safe (there are several ways to do that), or may simply ignore the safety ground (as well as any safety certifications) on the other outlets. There are varying degrees of "float". :) I had an issue with my subwoofer and added a UL-approved power resistor to increase the impedance from signal ground to safety ground without affecting safety. There are UL (etc.) rules for what you can do, and of course you have to be willing open up the amp and solder in the component(s).

I am absolutely the wrong guy to ask why some of the manufacturers are comfortable selling what they do since I tend to look from a technical point of view rather than subjective or marketing when it comes to many such things. (There are tweaks that do what they say, but in all such cases I have been able to measure as well as hear the result.) I will say I have seen a few power strip isolators that just opened the ground and resulted in a shock hazard. None had the usual UL/CE stickers, although one actually had counterfeit stickers (!)

But again I do not know what Nordest does nor how they are certified and test compliance. It's probably perfectly safe; I do not know either way.

Sorry - Don

Thanks for the response and candor. So let me ask this then: what about older equipment, like my Revox and Nakamichi, which feature no earth ground at all - simple 2-wire cords. Are they less safe?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for the response and candor. So let me ask this then: what about older equipment, like my Revox and Nakamichi, which feature no earth ground at all - simple 2-wire cords. Are they less safe?

They are double insulated, so no ground required. I'm not sure about their safety record...

I'd look in the Nordost box, you can see what's there, or not. You can also measure resistance from receptacle ground to IEC ground. If it's infinite you know it's completely disconnected.

If everything is plugged into a conditioner with common ground, that Schurter ground choke may be a solution for your amp, ground straps from pre to amp may reduce noise, and will definitely increase safety if you keep the amp's ground floated.

Reactions: ack

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
So I decided to open up my amps and do some dusting, and given the opportunity, take some pictures.
First the ground wire, from the socket (thin black, running against the grey transformer case) to the star-grounded screw. @Whbgarrett Did you remove your ground from that screw?
I did not. When I first encountered the hum/ground loop, I tried a cheater plug. It worked, but was ugly and being a typically insecure audiophile, I worried if the SQ suffered (how could it not, there are no $1,500 cheater plugs :). So, I surmised that removing the ground on the inside of the wall socket and safely covering the end and moving it out of the way was the best solution. Three DMA generations and two houses later, I have never looked back or had an issue.
View attachment 70932 View attachment 70933

Next, anyone know what that red On/Off switch on the top-left of the power supply board is all about? I've been told it lifts the ground, others have said it's for testing purposes

View attachment 70934

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I did not. When I first encountered the hum/ground loop, I tried a cheater plug. It worked, but was ugly and being a typically insecure audiophile, I worried if the SQ suffered (how could it not, there are no $1,500 cheater plugs :). So, I surmised that removing the ground on the inside of the wall socket and safely covering the end and moving it out of the way was the best solution. Three DMA generations and two houses later, I have never looked back or had an issue.
OK got it, thanks

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
"Double insulated" is a simplistic term but applies to many such products. I have owned several Studer and Revox tape decks in the primordial past as well as Nakamichi units (well, repaired them, did not actually own a Dragon, alas), along with much other gear then, and things like an electric drill and sander, that are also double insulated. It means there is no path to external surfaces in the event of a fault so you don't get shocked. So, safe, no worries!

In my techie days and occasionally since I have dealt with cases where a cheater plug was used and led to expensive repairs. Probably one of the worst in recent years was a server (computer) on which a customer had removed the safety ground to install in an older office building. Returned for repair of a drive board, I connected a wideband probe and powered up the system to check the signal integrity. Zap, poof, and a $30k USD probe was fried. Vexing, and I was very lucky I was not in the path. While I have endless shocking stories from my soundman days, the scariest moments were when I did not notice somebody had cut the ground pin and I got set on my butt when I was doing a house call on a TV or some appliance (freezers were a biggie, as were old radio/TV/stereo consoles). There are some old pieces of gear that can be unsafe; built long before codes were in place and the danger was recognized. I got to where I would check the chassis or outside of the component before starting to work.

Also a few stories from my brief stint as an electrician but that usually a mistake or incompetent installation.

My personal horror story (and why I tend to be so anal about this) involved a friend of my father-in-law. He had a benchtop bandsaw and cut off the ground pin to use an old two-wire extension cord to plug it in. The saw was mounted on a wooden platform he could clamp to his metal worktable. He was cutting some water pipe when some lubricant (used to keep the blade cool whilst cutting the pipe) spilled on the saw. He was electrocuted. His grandson found him when he went to tell him dinner was ready. The coroner noted burn marks on the hand gripping the pipe and forearm resting on the metal work table, and we measured the full line voltage across it all. It was OK until the lubricant created a new ground path through his body.

Every time I bring this up there are the usual "I've been doing it for years, never had a problem, and it sounds better that way, you don't know what you're talking about". I don't care. Dead don't care. A shorted power supply or bad transformer can ruin your day. It is safe until it is not and the consequences can be dire.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thank you all for your responses, this has been tremendously informative. So here's why I really started this thread. As quoted in the original post, the dealer says 'use a cheater plug'. These types of discussions go back years, and when I brought up all kinds of possible safety issues and expensive repairs, the eventual response by the dealer was that all this information really comes from Spectral. When asked why they don't mention all of that in the manuals, the response was: what if they get sued and go down.

So to clarify, I am not saying Spectral directly authorizes lifting the ground, but I am saying the dealer told me (and possibly many other users) to use cheater plugs (as quoted from a couple of months ago) and that he's said the factory originated this information to him. It would be best to first talk to one's own Spectral dealer first.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Not sure I'd take a dealer's advice over that of an electrician, especially if Spectral is worried about getting sued...

For lower-power components there are inexpensive solutions like a Hum-X AC line isolator or transformers to isolate signal ground (from cheapie $30 RCA units to $1200 Jensen models) and of course various active electronic units along with power strip solutions. Since cable or satellite boxes are common sources of ground loops, there are a number of cable isolators that work on the RF side to break a ground loop.

One thing I have seen done is to run an extra ground wire from the component to a common safety ground tie point. Not completely safe, but provides some redundancy. Always vexing to feel a "buzz" or mild (hopefully) shock when you pull an interconnect that was providing the safety ground for your system.

Ground loops can be insidious. The ones that introduce an easily-audible hum are not a big problem to find and fix; it's the ones that add a little bit of noise or introduce a sneak RFI/EMI path that raises the noise floor from dead silence to a tiny little raspy buzz that are really annoying and often harder to track down. Back in my techie days, I used to say it wasn't the blown amplifier that was hard to fix, it was the one that had 0.05% distortion instead of 0.01% that was a pain. Or 0.005% instead of 0.001%...

Reactions: adyc

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ground loops can be insidious. The ones that introduce an easily-audible hum are not a big problem to find and fix; it's the ones that add a little bit of noise or introduce a sneak RFI/EMI path that raises the noise floor from dead silence to a tiny little raspy buzz that are really annoying and often harder to track down.
Yup, indeed. This tiny one I've been trying to fix has been going on literally for a decade, with all Spectral amps I've had, and it's not really the amps. I've always star-grounded, used the same length cords, same interconnects, and yet, no fix for that very tiny leak. My suspicion is that the MIT interconnects are just slightly different somewhere, despite the same model designation "Oracle 50ic"

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack have you tried balanced xlr between the preamp and amp?
In fact, never. I've heard them at the dealer's and both he and I prefer the cleaner sound of single-ended.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Not sure I'd take a dealer's advice over that of an electrician, especially if Spectral is worried about getting sued...

For lower-power components there are inexpensive solutions like a Hum-X AC line isolator or transformers to isolate signal ground (from cheapie $30 RCA units to $1200 Jensen models) and of course various active electronic units along with power strip solutions. Since cable or satellite boxes are common sources of ground loops, there are a number of cable isolators that work on the RF side to break a ground loop.

One thing I have seen done is to run an extra ground wire from the component to a common safety ground tie point. Not completely safe, but provides some redundancy. Always vexing to feel a "buzz" or mild (hopefully) shock when you pull an interconnect that was providing the safety ground for your system.

Ground loops can be insidious. The ones that introduce an easily-audible hum are not a big problem to find and fix; it's the ones that add a little bit of noise or introduce a sneak RFI/EMI path that raises the noise floor from dead silence to a tiny little raspy buzz that are really annoying and often harder to track down. Back in my techie days, I used to say it wasn't the blown amplifier that was hard to fix, it was the one that had 0.05% distortion instead of 0.01% that was a pain. Or 0.005% instead of 0.001%...

A wire from the amp chassis to the ground point would do exactly the same thing as the ground in the power cable. IMO, the issue is the grounding in the amp it's self. Connecting the IEC ground pin directly to chassis does not work universally, and it may be the IC grounds are also directly connected to the chassis, so there may be no isolation between signal and chassis grounds either.

There are no standards for how the ground is connected in audio components at all. So it can be a crapshoot and often the solution is adding isolation, be it the Schurter DENO I linked to, a resistor with a cap bypass, a trafo to provide galvanic isolation, etc.

Reactions: DonH50 and ack

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A wire from the amp chassis to the ground point would do exactly the same thing as the ground in the power cable. IMO, the issue is the grounding in the amp it's self. Connecting the IEC ground pin directly to chassis does not work universally, and it may be the IC grounds are also directly connected to the chassis, so there may be no isolation between signal and chassis grounds either.

There are no standards for how the ground is connected in audio components at all. So it can be a crapshoot and often the solution is adding isolation, be it the Schurter DENO I linked to, a resistor with a cap bypass, a trafo to provide galvanic isolation, etc.
The purpose of the wire is to provide a different ground path, not necessarily the same as the power cord, one that hopefully does not contribute to signal ground noise. But whether it works, or even makes things worse, depends entirely upon the issue in your second paragraph.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. I do need to point out that this is just a common Leviton that can be had for about $2. SR are well known for making and marketing crap at inflated audiophile prices, and here we are yet again.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The purpose of the wire is to provide a different ground path, not necessarily the same as the power cord, one that hopefully does not contribute to signal ground noise. But whether it works, or even makes things worse, depends entirely upon the issue in your second paragraph.

If you look at the photos ack posted, the IEC ground is directly connected to the chassis, so a grounding cable from amp to power distributor would make the same connection. If the wire goes from preamp to amp and the preamp is grounded, then it should improve grounding without allowing the ground loop in question.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing