Suggestions in search for used LL2.1

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
I'm in the US and I have been searching for some time for a nice used LL2.1 preamp without luck, until about 2 weeks ago when a whatsbest member answered my LL2.1 add on this site.
Thought my search was over, this person told me he wanted to move up to the LL1.1 Signature, he had already done the research, knew the going used pricing for his preamp was $3500 to 4000 and gave me the price he wanted... $3500.
This in fact is the average going price for this amp. After leading me with this carrot for 2 weeks... he just called me today to tell me he was backing out, he knew he could sell it for $4,000. and wasn't going to "lose money".... even though he had also bought it used and had it himself for a number of years.... apparently, this guy has no integrity!
Sorry if the above is TMI... I'm just so disappointed and frustrated...

I really would like a nice example of this preamp and have been looking on USAudiomart (including Canada) and Audiogon without luck.
Are there any other safe and reliable places to search?

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Two weeks is way too long to make a deal. A bank wire takes only a day or so. Fwiw there is a classified section here at WBF, but I did not see any LL2.1s.

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Two weeks is way too long to make a deal. A bank wire takes only a day or so. Fwiw there is a classified section here at WBF, but I did not see any LL2.1s.
Yes, I posted the add here on WBF... the well known member answered the add, as I said the price was set for $3500.
The reason for the 2 week time span was the seller was ordering a new shipping crate, when it shipped I was supposed to make the payment.
The 'deal' was made in the first week...just waiting for the shipping crate.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The LL2.1 doesn't weigh that much that it requires a crate, granted it originally came in a wood crate from Lamm. I would think he could it take to a UPS store or other shipper and they could pack it well and send it off in a couple days. If you as buyer wanted a Lamm crate you could order that from Lamm yourself. A shame he did not stick to your agreement It's in past now. Good luck finding a LL2.1, they do come up for sale.

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Well... during that time frame I sold my Zesto preamp... since I now had the LL2.1 coming... so not at all... "in the past"... no preamp...
Hopefully I can find a LL2.1 in good time.... after that I will start searching for a matching LP2.1 :)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I meant the deal you had is in the past. I see both units for sale - they're not falling out of trees, but they are not uncommon on the used market. Actually I reviewed both and believe you will enjoy the combination. Then maybe a nice pair of M1.2 Refs. I have a set of QuickSilver 8417, but the tubes are pretty much unobtainable. Good luck.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Whilst I can to a degree understand your frustration, it is in the nature of buying second hand from a private individual that sometimes circumstance may change and a deal falls through, you are not dealing with a bricks and mortar vendor here.

However....I do not think it seamly or in the spirit of this place that you have vented your frustration with another member in this manner.I would take tima’s advice and move on, best of luck with your search.

Last edited:

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
As for the reason of my posting, are there any other avenues to search for used Lamm gear? Would checking with Lamm Dealers be helpful, or are there any other venues?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Would checking with Lamm Dealers be helpful, or are there any other venues?

Of course it would help to check with Lamm dealers who take trade-ins, although prices may be different than those from an individual. You should be able to find a dealer list on the Lamm site.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing