T+A M40 HV Review

rower30

Mar 20, 2022
T+A M40-HV Mono Amplifiers

T+A is probably not well known in the USA, yet, but with products like the M40-HV amplifiers they sure will be. I am so glad I found the company, and it’s products. It was not done on purpose at all. Let me explain that.

Like many of you in this hobby, you save and save for things that MIGHT be. I always wanted a truly good set of speakers that do it all everywhere. I initially could not afford that, so I used a set of Martin Logan CLX with stereo Balanced Force 212 subwoofers. For what you pay, this is a killer set-up for those that cherish midrange purity above all else. I’m middle “out” listener not a top down or bottom up. And no, this is NOT a cheap set-up, either. It is for as good as the midrange is, though. But, all panel speakers are not as good as you drop infrequency and lower midrange voices can be softer in DRIVE or propulsion that dynamic drivers can do. It’s simply the amount of air you move. The subs help, but only where they are good, best let the lower mids remain as is. Still, the pristine nature of a proper set of CLX is fantastic.

OK, where is this going? Be patient as this is not an easy jump straight to the amplifiers, but necessary. I have had the CLX many years and NEVER felt what I heard got anywhere near the merit to replace them, they are that good set-up well. At AXPONA 2019, not even looking for speakers, I heard WAY DOWN a hall way an incredible sound. Why can we hear timber and naturalness with 100% reflected sounds so well? My friend and I moved up the hallway until we found the T+A room with a pair of Solitaire CWT 1000-40 carbon speakers and these big M40-HV mono amplifiers. It was simply amazingly good.

The speakers are an electrostatic panel (wink, wink) and eight line source mid / bass couplers with four eight’ish bass drivers in a two opposed to one another in the speakers sides. I was not looking at amplifiers! I asked about the big amps and thought, hell, amps is the LAST place I’d ever consider making much of a difference except how LOUD you could play. I bought the CWT 1000-40 speakers, yes I did. They are exceptional but…that “magic” wasn’t the same as in the T+A room. What’s going on, really? Using the same equipment as I did with the CLX, and they indeed better the CLX, they still didn’t have that sense of easy I heard at the show. The CWT 1000-40 are fast, pure and neutral all the way up and down and yes, they have tremendous lower bass propulsion and drive panel speakers’ lack…well, unless you get BIG ones. I can’t do that big.

I have a Sim Audio MOON W-8 amplifier that is a well-regarded, stable, and exceptionally well tested amplifier for the money. Few would say it is “inadequate” verses simply a patina that is “different” than other nice amplifiers. Are those expensive BIG amplifier worth it? I’m here to tell you I can’t answer that. What I can say, is that the ONE big amplifier I bought is. Enter the T+A M40-HV mono amplifiers. The American T+A representative said that the M40’s would be an awakening on the sound. I was VERY suspect an amplifier is ever an awakening other than how LOUD, can you hear me now! Level that they can attain. That isn’t a musical awakening, however, it is just being jarred awake. I didn’t need to be heard at all, I was plenty good there. But David Schultz allowed the opportunity to try them so I did. Was the AXPONA show sound a lot the amps, too?

I won’t drag you down with the specifics on these huge things. What I do want to talk about, is their Class A or AB operation that is counter to what you are told to like.
Go here; https://www.hifinews.com/content/ta-m-40-hv-power-amplifier

OK, now you know the specifics on this amplifier. That’s done. What isn’t done is the conclusion the reviewer makes. And I say this as a GOOD thing, too. We have two amplifiers in one so one or the other you will your favor. The reviewer, with his equipment, favors the class A mode. With mine I do not. I like the class AB mode. When I first got them, I used AB but since I didn’t read the manual though I was in class A mode. The sound I was getting was hands flapping as fast as they can while jumping up and down like a five-year-old good. I was AWAKENED!

The sound was so pure, immediate and dynamic it was just stupid good. Bass sustain is powerful and tonally accurate. An amplifier can’t do this I kept thinking. A BIG amp is supposed to be AWKWARD and thunderous but musical and delicate? My power use is 100 watts peak, maybe a tad over. I have 450 watts left over so using their THUNDER I was not. What I did use, are their fabulous detail, dynamics and finesse. The amplifiers just don’t seem to slow down the music at all. It is as though all my sources went high-definition. The MOON amplifier, as a reference, is warmer and can’t get out of the way of the music’s transients like the M40’s. Not only that, but the sense of “nothing” from the amplifiers is amazing. There is nothing in the specs that can’t be, “you can’t hear that” levels of difference between the M40 and the MOON W-8. Don’t be fooled to thing that. So this is what class A amplification is all about? Umm, No.

When I realized I was really in class AB mode I was stunned that the “worst” mode was so darn good! OK, let’s get better and go to class A. But, my ear likes the faster, more dynamic, more open AB mode. Don’t get me wrong, but class A eclipses the MOON in every respect, but between A and AB on THESE amps I like the AB mode best. Class A is indeed warmer, and moves the images forward a little and this does move in the stage width some. The warmth rolls of the edge detail between musical events some and yes it does seem to “attach” the sound stage into a whole. It is a “what you like” kind of thing. There is just added lower range energy in the sound. I’ve also heard Pass Labs and Plinius Class A amplifiers and the general sound seems to follow the class A format. AB seems faster and more dynamic and to my ear “better” so there you have it. The manual says to use Class A for all but the THUNDER sessions. I say not to be so quick to judge that. The CWT 1000-40 does mid range DRIVE really well so the added energy is, to my ear, more than I need.

With the CWT Solitaire 1000-40 speakers, I just LOVE the AB mode sound. It is so pure, dynamic, open in all directions and lightening quick to be intoxicatingly REAL sounding. I can’t stress how good these amplifiers are. Are they WORTH it? Let me say this, David took my money and I’m GLAD he did! Few components work like these two do together and we all know about synergy. I instantly forgot what they cost and moved on the listening. So if that means they are worth it, that’s my argument.

I use them Bi-amp class A or Bi-wire class AB with dual speaker cables. I use the balanced XLR inputs. Two flips of a couple switches are all it takes to change modes. The amps are easy to live with in “auto” mode and come on with a signal detected. They don’t take forever to warm-up and the timber is excellent even COLD so that running away for an hour for them to warm isn’t necessary. They never get “hot” anywhere. In auto mode they sip 0.5 watts so you pay for electricity ONLY when the music is playing. This seems stupid but hey, I don’t mind paying for what I use WHEN I use it. Leaving stuff on using 50 watts of power in standby seems counter to logical. You can leave them on, sure, but they don’t penalize you badly if you don’t.

I guess you can say I am a BIG amp convert with the T+A M40 HV mono amplifiers. And yes, if amps sound THIS GOOD they are worth it to drive a cheap car. If you want to look at $$$ amplifiers that SOUND GOOD and are not just BIG, check these out.

Best,
Rower30

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019

T+A is probably not well known in the USA, yet, but with products like the M40-HV amplifiers they sure will be. I am so glad I found the company, and it’s products. It was not done on purpose at all. Let me explain that.

Like many of you in this hobby, you save and save for things that MIGHT be. I always wanted a truly good set of speakers that do it all everywhere. I initially could not afford that, so I used a set of Martin Logan CLX with stereo Balanced Force 212 subwoofers. For what you pay, this is a killer set-up for those that cherish midrange purity above all else. I’m middle “out” listener not a top down or bottom up. And no, this is NOT a cheap set-up, either. It is for as good as the midrange is, though. But, all panel speakers are not as good as you drop infrequency and lower midrange voices can be softer in DRIVE or propulsion that dynamic drivers can do. It’s simply the amount of air you move. The subs help, but only where they are good, best let the lower mids remain as is. Still, the pristine nature of a proper set of CLX is fantastic.

OK, where is this going? Be patient as this is not an easy jump straight to the amplifiers, but necessary. I have had the CLX many years and NEVER felt what I heard got anywhere near the merit to replace them, they are that good set-up well. At AXPONA 2019, not even looking for speakers, I heard WAY DOWN a hall way an incredible sound. Why can we hear timber and naturalness with 100% reflected sounds so well? My friend and I moved up the hallway until we found the T+A room with a pair of Solitaire CWT 1000-40 carbon speakers and these big M40-HV mono amplifiers. It was simply amazingly good.

The speakers are an electrostatic panel (wink, wink) and eight line source mid / bass couplers with four eight’ish bass drivers in a two opposed to one another in the speakers sides. I was not looking at amplifiers! I asked about the big amps and thought, hell, amps is the LAST place I’d ever consider making much of a difference except how LOUD you could play. I bought the CWT 1000-40 speakers, yes I did. They are exceptional but…that “magic” wasn’t the same as in the T+A room. What’s going on, really? Using the same equipment as I did with the CLX, and they indeed better the CLX, they still didn’t have that sense of easy I heard at the show. The CWT 1000-40 are fast, pure and neutral all the way up and down and yes, they have tremendous lower bass propulsion and drive panel speakers’ lack…well, unless you get BIG ones. I can’t do that big.

I have a Sim Audio MOON W-8 amplifier that is a well-regarded, stable, and exceptionally well tested amplifier for the money. Few would say it is “inadequate” verses simply a patina that is “different” than other nice amplifiers. Are those expensive BIG amplifier worth it? I’m here to tell you I can’t answer that. What I can say, is that the ONE big amplifier I bought is. Enter the T+A M40-HV mono amplifiers. The American T+A representative said that the M40’s would be an awakening on the sound. I was VERY suspect an amplifier is ever an awakening other than how LOUD, can you hear me now! Level that they can attain. That isn’t a musical awakening, however, it is just being jarred awake. I didn’t need to be heard at all, I was plenty good there. But David Schultz allowed the opportunity to try them so I did. Was the AXPONA show sound a lot the amps, too?

I won’t drag you down with the specifics on these huge things. What I do want to talk about, is their Class A or AB operation that is counter to what you are told to like.

OK, now you know the specifics on this amplifier. That’s done. What isn’t done is the conclusion the reviewer makes. And I say this as a GOOD thing, too. We have two amplifiers in one so one or the other you will your favor. The reviewer, with his equipment, favors the class A mode. With mine I do not. I like the class AB mode. When I first got them, I used AB but since I didn’t read the manual though I was in class A mode. The sound I was getting was hands flapping as fast as they can while jumping up and down like a five-year-old good. I was AWAKENED!

The sound was so pure, immediate and dynamic it was just stupid good. Bass sustain is powerful and tonally accurate. An amplifier can’t do this I kept thinking. A BIG amp is supposed to be AWKWARD and thunderous but musical and delicate? My power use is 100 watts peak, maybe a tad over. I have 450 watts left over so using their THUNDER I was not. What I did use, are their fabulous detail, dynamics and finesse. The amplifiers just don’t seem to slow down the music at all. It is as though all my sources went high-definition. The MOON amplifier, as a reference, is warmer and can’t get out of the way of the music’s transients like the M40’s. Not only that, but the sense of “nothing” from the amplifiers is amazing. There is nothing in the specs that can’t be, “you can’t hear that” levels of difference between the M40 and the MOON W-8. Don’t be fooled to thing that. So this is what class A amplification is all about? Umm, No.

When I realized I was really in class AB mode I was stunned that the “worst” mode was so darn good! OK, let’s get better and go to class A. But, my ear likes the faster, more dynamic, more open AB mode. Don’t get me wrong, but class A eclipses the MOON in every respect, but between A and AB on THESE amps I like the AB mode best. Class A is indeed warmer, and moves the images forward a little and this does move in the stage width some. The warmth rolls of the edge detail between musical events some and yes it does seem to “attach” the sound stage into a whole. It is a “what you like” kind of thing. There is just added lower range energy in the sound. I’ve also heard Pass Labs and Plinius Class A amplifiers and the general sound seems to follow the class A format. AB seems faster and more dynamic and to my ear “better” so there you have it. The manual says to use Class A for all but the THUNDER sessions. I say not to be so quick to judge that. The CWT 1000-40 does mid range DRIVE really well so the added energy is, to my ear, more than I need.

With the CWT Solitaire 1000-40 speakers, I just LOVE the AB mode sound. It is so pure, dynamic, open in all directions and lightening quick to be intoxicatingly REAL sounding. I can’t stress how good these amplifiers are. Are they WORTH it? Let me say this, David took my money and I’m GLAD he did! Few components work like these two do together and we all know about synergy. I instantly forgot what they cost and moved on the listening. So if that means they are worth it, that’s my argument.

I use them Bi-amp class A or Bi-wire class AB with dual speaker cables. I use the balanced XLR inputs. Two flips of a couple switches are all it takes to change modes. The amps are easy to live with in “auto” mode and come on with a signal detected. They don’t take forever to warm-up and the timber is excellent even COLD so that running away for an hour for them to warm isn’t necessary. They never get “hot” anywhere. In auto mode they sip 0.5 watts so you pay for electricity ONLY when the music is playing. This seems stupid but hey, I don’t mind paying for what I use WHEN I use it. Leaving stuff on using 50 watts of power in standby seems counter to logical. You can leave them on, sure, but they don’t penalize you badly if you don’t.

I guess you can say I am a BIG amp convert with the T+A M40 HV mono amplifiers. And yes, if amps sound THIS GOOD they are worth it to drive a cheap car. If you want to look at $$$ amplifiers that SOUND GOOD and are not just BIG, check these out.

Best,
Rower30
Hey Rower30,

Thanks for the review. I own the older version of the M40....the M10 that made the refined M40 able to be born. The newest version (M40) simplified the tube voltage used in the gain stage thus you have 4 tubes and I have 6. However I find my older M10's still provide the same goods you describe to a tee.

I am using mine to drive my Alsyvox Botticelli speakers in the AB mode and I get some tube magic with speed and refinement attached. And refined they are......in spades with power provided to tracking any passage I can find. My system now gets out the way of the music........I have said that the Alsyvox and these T+A sound as close to real/live as I have experienced in my 48 years in the hobby but this is only my opinion and yours is what matters. If anyone wants some tube magic with solid state drive and speed then I recommend you put these amplifiers on your audition list.

Rower, your view of these amplifiers in Class A also describes my experience. I like both modes but just that the AB resembles what I was after most.
I have also had many Class A amplifiers in here and they all resemble your findings....very pleasant but meant more for certain types of music rather than an all-in experience. The facts these amplifiers give you both with power to drive anything on the planet without breaking a sweat helped me reach my goal of getting off the new gear merry-go-round.

I am not sure what tubes you are using in yours but I have been trying many brands and my best take for musicality and delivery of a quiet background is the new Linlai 6sn7's. The Russian tubes were the worst. If you want what I have tried before this discovery just message me and I will be happy to share.

Thanks for mentioning your experience in reaching the emotional goals music can provide if done right.

My Best,
Gwalt

Last edited:
Reactions: ozy

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Best,
Rower30
Interesting speakers and amps. Was not aware that T+A made speakers. I am a fan of electrostats. Hope to listen to them sometime.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Huge fan of T+A as you can tell by my Avatar. I have heard the M40 and they are outstanding. Congrats on your M40. I'm a PA3100HV owner.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Heard a very similar set to yours rower a few weeks back,
and was beyond impressed with the built quality ,and incredible sound.
the T+A is way underrated and under exposed In the USA.its retail pricing is also very reasonable and provides a real bang for the buck.
With all these “ common” cool names and brands T+A offer, imho,serious engineering coupled with exemplary built quality and SOUND.
I was truly impressed, and that’s for for a jaded audio fool with more then 30 years of buying and selling gear……

Last edited:
Reactions: gwalt

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Huge fan of T+A as you can tell by my Avatar. I have heard the M40 and they are outstanding. Congrats on your M40. I'm a PA3100HV owner.
Seconded here. I also own the PA3100HV with its accompanying Power Supply PS300HV. Simply Amazing combo.

Reactions: gwalt and ozy

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Seconded here. I also own the PA3100HV with its accompanying Power Supply PS300HV. Simply Amazing combo.
I'm considering the PS3000HV as well. How big of a difference did the PS3000HV make in your system?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
What I find interesting about T+A's M40 (and I seriously considered them) is the people I have spoken with prefer A/B over High Current. T+A recommends HC for critical listening. All my listening is critical. All my previous Amps have been A/B, until now. I have the Gryphon Mephisto and I don't think I could ever get away from pure Class A. I couldn't see myself toggling between High Current or A/B.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Cheers to all,

I fully endorse the comments relating to the sonic attributes, build quality and design philosophy of the T+A products. I have the PDP 3000 HV and it is an outstanding product, having compared it to a number of other similar components, whether all-in-one or separates.

Reactions: ozy and bryans

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Great to hear from T + A audiophiles … I currently have the M -40s in waiting … I‘m building an addition with a long planned reference listening room … I can attest to the great sound of all the T + A components … My reference system will be a rack of HV source and supporting gear … Although I sold the CWT 1000 - 40s , I‘m waiting for the next round of T + A speakers ...

Anyway , T + A is one of the true values in high end , everything is well thought out , impeccable aesthetics , built like a tank … and sound fantastic …

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
I have the previous model M10. These drive the Sonus Faber Amati Futura in Class A. The sound is excellent.

The M10 has three tubes that invite experimentation.

My preamp is T+A SDV 3100 HV, one of the best DACs I know. Double power supply separated for analog and digital. So that I don't have to switch the M10 on and off individually, T+A built me special trigger cables. The customer service is excellent.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I have recently added the M40 and p3100hv preamp, and I’m still shaking my head about what must be one of the best sound I have had with my m6 magicos……warm , fulsome, rich, accurate timber ,and punchy and layered bass. Also prefer the AB vs. the class A….. more dynamics and details…. Surprisingly so.
and These are built to sustain a nuclear blast ….. fit and finish are examplery.
T+A punches way above its weight($) class, imho.

Last edited:

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Hi guys … couldnt agree more … It sometimes pushes away possible auditions , there can be a prejudgment when one may equate sound quality relative to price ! T + A fits that profile , and also , the amazing amount of utility you can get with their product lines ... I think that can be poorly received , as most audiophiles believe that less is more , and that can surely be true , as the you can have one T + A component with HD radio , streaming , AM and FM radio , phono pre , etc. , even though all really well isolated and signal purity well protected , I think most think this a negative . In this case , I surely dont agree , T + A is both a great bargain in quality and quantity !

John T

Feb 15, 2022
That's too bad when people use price to equate quality. T+A is a class act. When I was doing my homework and was hot for those M40's ( which I think have incredible aesthetics) maybe the coolest looking amps out there and they have great performance. I spoke with several people associated with T+A. All Very Professional...

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
That's too bad when people use price to equate quality. T+A is a class act. When I was doing my homework and was hot for those M40's ( which I think have incredible aesthetics) maybe the coolest looking amps out there and they have great performance. I spoke with several people associated with T+A. All Very Professional...
I was lucky to find the line since I wanted to end the pain of "spend a lot to gain a little". This brand did that for me. I did not attend Axpona but a friend of mine from Chicago did and told me their room had components with the lid off so you could view the makings and said they were incredible. I knew that but have never pulled the lid on mine.
The sales manager (who I am friends with) now has now set up a full display showroom in the St. Mary's, GA. area to house gear for dealers to demonstrate and avoid shipping delays on sold gear. Hopefully the US audiophiles audition the line when the new gear bug awakes as they are growing here and are one of the largest in Europe and have been around as a company over 40+ years and support their product with integrity and service in a professional manner.

Gwalt

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Dave is a good, honest, guy.... John

Reactions: gwalt and ozy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing