T.H.E. Show Newport 2015-Who's Going.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

These speakers sounded amazing 15k bargain.

Had them in another room hooked up to 90k tube amps, slight mismatch.

If these are Technical Brain components...they are not far behind -- wrt price.
BTW, thanks for the pics, Hi-FiGuy :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey,

Did you have an opportunity to visit the EA/DZ room?

Hi Sam. I did indeed hear the EA/DZ room. Not one of my favorites. Every time I hear EA speakers, I cannot really get past the complete lack of warmth that I hear with them. For some, i can see the attraction, BUT to me they simply don't sound like real instruments in a "live" space.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Vanderstein & Audio Research sounded good, just didn't move me. Basis TT.

They didn't move me either. I asked the rep why they insist on using the Vandy amps....which IMHO are a real downer to the system. He told me that Richard designed the amps for these speakers. Probably true,and why we both are NOT moved by the sound.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Amir,

Samsung Note 4, usually I do better with it but with my tong hanging out of my mouth all day I kept tripping. Some of the pictures are ok, others not so much. It does have HDR.

I learned to never use the flash an use available lighting to my benefit. Zoom as little as possible and move into frame.

I have begun the search into DSLR recently, as my Old School AE-1 is a little cumbersome these days.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Mike,
Were you here?
Would of liked to have met you. I will be visiting family this summer up in Seattle and would really like the opportunity to hear your system.

I met Gary today, helluva nice guy with a pretty brilliant mind. Kind of liked The Muse, a lot in fact!

Starting to plot out all my stops while up there Shunyata also on the list since I have sipped the Kool-Aid at Steve's place.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
Were you here?
Would of liked to have met you. I will be visiting family this summer up in Seattle and would really like the opportunity to hear your system.

I met Gary today, helluva nice guy with a pretty brilliant mind. Kind of liked The Muse, a lot in fact!

Starting to plot out all my stops while up there.

Gary is brilliant, I agree. he is one of the people who helped me along the way working out my room issues over these years. I heard his Muse too and was impressed.

and yes; I was there from Friday 1pm and left about 3:30 today to catch my flight home. it was a very fun show for me, met lots of people and heard lots of gear and music. the social at least as significant as the listening.

I'd love to have you visit when you come up to Seattle if I'm in town; I hope I'm home when you visit. PM me and we will figure it out. too bad we did not connect at the Show but we have another chance it appears.

best regards,

Mike

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
From EA literature at THE Show I infer that the "Exact" filter network used in a separate tower for each MM2 is also an integral part of the MM7? No doubt that for me it is the difference beween the "meh" reaction I have had to previous listening experience with EA speakers and the very positive opinion of them at this THE Show

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

Samsung Note 4, usually I do better with it but with my tong hanging out of my mouth all day I kept tripping. Some of the pictures are ok, others not so much. It does have HDR.
I am impressed! Then again, my Samsung Edge also surprises me with superlative images for a camera on a phone.

I learned to never use the flash an use available lighting to my benefit. Zoom as little as possible and move into frame.

I have begun the search into DSLR recently, as my Old School AE-1 is a little cumbersome these days.
The AE-1 was my first SLR camera! I still have it some place.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
The only room I've returned to daily and shall resume the cycle again, tomorrow, is the Evolution Acoustics/DartZeel room :cool: Whether analog reel tape rolling on an ATR or vinyl spinning on their Wave Kinetics tt/arm/cart set-up...the experience was involving, immersive, and left me with great anticipation! :p

Sam,

It was great seeing both you and Sunny (especially Sunny :)). Your comments (along with the chocolate croissants) are what we strive for and mean so much to us.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sam,

It was great seeing both you and Sunny (especially Sunny :)). Your comments (along with the chocolate croissants) are what we strive for and mean so much to us.

What I missed the chocolate croissants! Dang nab it! :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam. I did indeed hear the EA/DZ room. Not one of my favorites. Every time I hear EA speakers, I cannot really get past the complete lack of warmth that I hear with them. For some, i can see the attraction, BUT to me they simply don't sound like real instruments in a "live" space.

Hi Davey,

It occurs to me that the system is revealing the source -- the program material/recording, itself. If I hadn't lived 90' away, each way, I would have driven home and returned with Tape Project-005, the DECCA analog recording of Albeniz-Suite Espanola with de Burgos and the New Philharmonia Orchestra http://tapeproject.com/product/de-burgos-new-philharmonia-orchestra-albeniz-suite-espanola/. A stunning classical recording that can take any system to task and let the system/room flourish -- if it can handle it. I anticipate the EA/DZ room would accommodate it with aplomb. :cool:

Next year, I think I'll bring tapes :p

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam,

Hi Jonathan,

Well...my observations are not the saccharin-laced (chocolate croissants, notwithstanding) comments of a sycophant, but rather acknowledgement of exceptional sound.
Congratulations to your entire team! :cool:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010

Hi DaveyF,

As manufacturers, we put so much work, not only into putting together a room at these shows, but also into creating and manufacturing products. Normally I would let your post go and just stay out of the thread, but I cannot let your misleading the readers and members continue.

My partner, Kevin Malmgren, who you have met numerous times, during the show laughingly mentioned how you walked a few feet through the door, looked around for a few seconds, turned around, shook your head disapprovingly and walked out. He said this could not have have taken more than 15 seconds. For you to make the statements you did, you should have also been responsible enough to disclose that.

You stated, "they simply don't sound like real instruments in a "live" space." We had one of the conference rooms this year and standing in the corner by the entrance, much less for only a few seconds, it would be virtually impossible to discern how instruments were portrayed in "space". Also, do you stand in the corner and evaluate your system the same way? I think not.

Your complete statement of "Every time I hear EA speakers, I cannot really get past the complete lack of warmth that I hear with them. For some, i can see the attraction, BUT to me they simply don't sound like real instruments in a "live" space."

1. "complete lack of warmth" is quite harsh and so absolute. It comes across like you have some agenda or an axe to grind.
2. "For some, i can see the attraction" is insulting to those who like them because according to you they don't sound real and completely lack warmth.
3. You single out EA speakers as the reason for the sound even though we always show with darTZeel, Wave Kinetics and for the most part ATR Services. So am I to assume that you feel it is only speakers that contribute to the sound?

There were numerous professional musicians who attended the show, and visited our room. They were so blown away by what they heard, they gave their soon to be released CD's to us to rip so we could play them over our system for them to hear. Fiona Joy was one, along with Kori Carothers, and finally trombone virtuoso Bob McChesney. In case you didn't know, Kevin Malmgren is also a professional, working trombonist.

Fiona Joy, after hearing her upcoming CD through our system, which was a raw master by Bob Ludwig, made the comment that the presentation was as good if not better than she remembered experiencing at Bob Ludwig's mastering studio. She also mentioned how the tonality, timbre and placement of the percussion sounded exactly as she remembered. Following that comment, Steve McCormick, who happened to be in the room stated how that was "quite the endorsement". Also both Fiona and Steve agreed how wonderful piano sounded through the MMTwo EXACTs.

Bob McChesney shared with Kevin when he hears music played back on most studio systems, home audio systems and the majority of the systems he heard at THE Show, that most emphasize the woofer and tweeter, but don't quite get the midrange right. They almost sound hollow versus real instruments. He stated how
"pure and present" our system was which is so important to him since the trombone is represented so much in the midrange. He really felt that with our system "everything was there and sounded very real."

While I would normally not argue with someone's opinion or criticism, knowing what I do about the way you evaluated our room, I have to say your post seems very disingenuous.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
While I would normally not argue with someone's opinion or criticism, knowing what I do about the way you evaluated our room, I have to say your post seems very disingenuous.

Jonathan, I wish that you were a little less "biased" about the gear you rep. Although, I have to laud you for sticking by it at all costs!
I came into your room after I had just left the room that Garth Leerer had put together. To be frank, there was no reason to stay that long, given the difference in sound between the two.
Your speakers are just not to my liking...sorry IF that offends you.
To me, they do NOT sound like the real thing at ALL....and since I have been listening to music for decades I'm entitled to my opinion. I may suggest that you go out and listen to real musicians playing in a real space....Like I have just returned from doing. There are NO systems that truly come close to this.....IMHO. BTW, since I am NOT a dealer of any competing gear, I have no horse in any race....unlike you.:D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing