TechDAS Air Force Zero in Hong Kong AV Show 2019

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I also had some malfunction with the power supply of my AF1P. They replaced the whole power supply with the latest upgraded footers in less than a month. TechDAS even did an investigation into the original power supply and told me they didn’t find any failure in all components. They concluded I put my power supply too close to the PS Audio powerplant which is fairly hot. The heat caused the air to thin out and reduced the air pressure.

Now I rearranged my rack and there is no further problem. I found the service from TechDAS is second to none.
My controller box was also replaced with a new one too. ;)

Reactions: Syntax

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My controller box was also replaced with a new one too. ;)

As far as I remember you have reported in the past having an abnormal number of problems with turntable electronics (not only with the AF1) and we suspected they could be related to issues with power supply fluctuations or surges.

IMHO in such cases a power regenerator is a must, particularly with equipment that stays permanently in standby mode. Considering the very positive results reported by solar power system owners using microinverters and devices such as the STROMTANK I would not hesitate if I had such reliability problems or fears.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
As far as I remember you have reported in the past having an abnormal number of problems with turntable electronics (not only with the AF1) and we suspected they could be related to issues with power supply fluctuations or surges.

IMHO in such cases a power regenerator is a must, particularly with equipment that stays permanently in standby mode. Considering the very positive results reported by solar power system owners using microinverters and devices such as the STROMTANK I would not hesitate if I had such reliability problems or fears.
No fears. No STROMTANK. No more Torus. I am doing just fine ;).
I like the swing in electricity line. It makes my music more rhythmic and exciting.

Tang :D

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Munich the best system i listened,combination all 3 had Stromtank.
Could be a case

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
You can think to buy PS Audio P 20 to connect all except amp.
You can connect 13 component and put orders and save a lot of money for distributor and power cord.
Its not a conditioner but only clean the power and regenerate the power and cancel distortion,one friend has and is very happy.
He saw the distortion enter in P20 at 3.7 % and go out from P 20 to 0.2%
Sound is more clean with more depth and aire and more black.
In Italy all who has old P10 or new P 15 are very very happy

Also Oliver Gobel told me listen in many system and all was good

Reactions: bonzo75

TLi

May 27, 2016
I have three PS Audio P20 in my system. I can’t do without them. They do magic.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Which power amp do you have?
Is connected to P 20 or directly to the wall?

TLi

May 27, 2016
All P20 are plugged directly to the wall.

I use Passlabs Xs150 poweramps, speakers are Magico M6.

Reactions: howiebrou

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I asked if XS 150 are connected to P20 or to the wall because XS150 i think like my M1 is better directly to the wall and not to P20

if connect to P 20 is better than connect to the wall?

TLi

May 27, 2016
I asked if XS 150 are connected to P20 or to the wall because XS150 i think like my M1 is better directly to the wall and not to P20

if connect to P 20 is better than connect to the wall?

Xs150 is basically Class A amp, the current drawn is fairly constant. Unless pushed hard, it consumes fairly stable power.

Xs150 sounds much better with P20, Xs150 is connected to P20. That's why I uses 3 P20's. One for each Xs150 and one for the front end.

I think CH M1 will also sound better with P20. The output impedance of P20 is very low, actually lower than most wall socket. The dynamic will be enhanced, not restricted with it. You should give it a try. BTW, P20 is much better than P10, so forget about P10.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Understood why you have 3 P 20,one for each amp,so this is correct

I will buy one in september and i will connect one M 1 to try how is the consumption

Reactions: CKKeung

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
No fears. No STROMTANK. No more Torus. I am doing just fine ;).
I like the swing in electricity line. It makes my music more rhythmic and exciting.

Tang :D
Wow, Tang, you are one of the first audiophiles to admit this. I am OK with power variation gremlins, too. I am not sure you should try to control EVERYTHING, especially because there are still atmospheric, barometric, temperature, and biorhythmic gremlins, as well as all the oft mentioned gremlins in the electronics themselves. Viva la variacion.

I think if I had a choice between the Hong Kong show and Munich, I would go to the Hong Kong show. It might be overload either way, though.

TechDAS has gotten into a lot of sub varieties of turntables, with ever more complex and weighty samples coming around the bend.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Wow, Tang, you are one of the first audiophiles to admit this. I am OK with power variation gremlins, too. I am not sure you should try to control EVERYTHING, especially because there are still atmospheric, barometric, temperature, and biorhythmic gremlins, as well as all the oft mentioned gremlins in the electronics themselves. Viva la variacion.

I think if I had a choice between the Hong Kong show and Munich, I would go to the Hong Kong show. It might be overload either way, though.

TechDAS has gotten into a lot of sub varieties of turntables, with ever more complex and weighty samples coming around the bend.

Don't forget hormone therapy to control those endocrine gremlins!

Reactions: cjfrbw

TLi

May 27, 2016
How do you like that ARC REF 10 Phono with your AF1P?

I always like to use tube gear throughout my audiophile life. ARC tube preamp has been my favorite. My first preamp was ARC LS1 in the 80's.

I had a ARC 40th Anniversary Reference before Reference 10. When I looked for a phonostage after I brought Air Force One, Reference 10 phono was an obvious choice. Now I use Ref10 preamp and Ref10 phono for a few years, I know how to take the most out of them.

They require good tubes. I use Tung Sol 6550 black plate and original 6H30DR. These tubes enhance the performance a lot. Good isolation, good power cord and good power will give the final touch. They are feed with regenerated AC from PS Audio P20 and Nordost Odin power cords. The main units are placed on active isolation platforms and the power supply on Stillpoints Ultra 6. Good fuses also help.

In the end, I think I have a fairly good sounding phono and preamp. At least, I like the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing