"The Direct Disc Sound Of The Glen Miller Orchestra"

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
I own two (2) LP versions of the subject. One (1) LP is a back-up. Yeah, I like it that much!

The LP was a 1977 recording of the Glen Miller Orchestra directed by Jimmy Henderson (1921-1998). The orchestra and its direct-to-disc LP, is a faithful reproduction of Glen and his orchestra; with the positive of more modern recording techniques and better fidelity than Glen Miller’s own orchestra, before Glen’s tragic and untimely WWII related death.

I mention this not only because of the LP, but also because a CD version was just released: Amazon.com

I found the CD to be a good copy of the original and have gladly added it to my collection. The performance is smooth, dynamic and gorgeous. It sounds like Glen could be directing and playing. Musically, it is outstanding!

Of course, no one can discount the original band and its members, or fully replicate it. But, considering the recording quality, it the best recording of the orchestra that I've heard.

Relative to the direct-to-disc recording and the band’s director, Jimmy Henderson, the following is provided: <https://glennmillerorchestra.com/jimmy-henderson/>
Jimmy Henderson attended the ...“Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, where he received a Bachelor of Music degree.” “Later he went on the road with the original big bands of Hal McIntyre, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey and the regrouped Dorsey Brothers Orchestra.”

“Jimmy moved to Los Angeles, California in January 1954 where, for the next twenty-one years, he worked as a free-lance trombonist at all the major motion picture studios, as well as doing television, recordings and commercials.” “His activities included such shows as Bonanza, High Chapparal, Mannix, Mission Impossible and I Love Lucy.”

“During this period, he formed the new Jimmy Henderson Orchestra in California which he fronted for fifteen years until his association with the Glenn Miller Orchestra.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing