New source for master tape copies of EMI recordings

hticheno

Dec 23, 2022
I also received a set of these tapes from Pierre late this summer. I was most pleased with the Michelangeli performance of the Ravel. While I do love stereo recordings the Callas mono was a revelation. There were a few points of saturation in the tape, but overall it reminded me of just how stunning her voice and interpretative skills were. My mom was a mezzo and I suppose for that reason I have always preferred that range, but Callas definitely transcends probably all others from the 20th century with her incredibly wide range.

Having many 15 ips EMI masters and engineer's copies in my collection, I think EMI's engineering tends to be under-appreciated due to judgments being made on the basis of the quality of the pressings alone.

I also want to note that I was a bit disappointed in Pierre's use of 1 mil tape. But when I mentioned the better characteristics for dubbing by using 1.5 mil 468 he rightly pointed out that the stock had been discontinued and he could not rely on having a future supply. Unfortunately this is all too true. I have been lucky enough to stockpile 1400 pancakes of 468, much of it BASF and AGFA vintage, but have no idea where I will turn when I have used that inventory up in my duplicating service. I keep hoping someone reputable will acquire the formula and start offering it again.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I received my tapes (all three classical titles from Pierre) this week. I'll be listening to them in the next couple of days. Very nice packaging. Took quite a bit of time to get the tapes due to some production hiccups. Pierre kept me informed the entire way. I'll post a review once I get to hear them. Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing