The Girl In The Spider's Web

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
It is possible that those who have not had the opportunity to see the original Swedish "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy might enjoy this film. As a stand alone action movie it might be okay. Both my wife and I had been looking forward to this release and came away disappointed. I am not sure why they think they can't get a large enough audience unless they make it high tech and with end to end action. This was not how the original books were written and it was not how the original Millennium series was filmed. Even the "English" version with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara didn't seem to require the viewer to leave their brain at the door.

For those of you who don't know some of the back story the original author died after writing the initial trilogy and before they became global best sellers. There was a lot of fighting surrounding his estate and after the success of the Millennium Trilogy additional books were authorized and the one this movie was based on wasn't too bad. Unfortunately when taking that from book form to the big screen they decided to make some of the characters much younger and make it an action movie rather film noir.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Daniel Craig one was better than the original. Both were meh

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
Claire Foy is an excellent actress and did a good job in this version as did Noomi Repace and Roonie Mara in the earlier versions.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The Daniel Craig one was better than the original. Both were meh

I disagree. But there were some parts of the Craig version that expanded upon the Swedish version and were closer to the book.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve
Claire Foy is an excellent actress and did a good job in this version as did Noomi Repace and Roonie Mara in the earlier versions.
My favorite was with Noomi Repace

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sounds like a rental at best, thanks Jim.

Saw these previews yesterday at BR:

Widows
Green Book
The Favourite

With the addition of Roma (Netflix), these are the award season movies coming and all look very good.

I also think the new Harry Potter looks much better than fantastic beasts.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Keith
Yep, Green Book looks promising.

I am also looking forward to:
The Mule
The Front Runner

The most disappointing movie I saw recently was The Old Man and The Gun.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

As for 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' trilogy, I prefer the original first one ... Swedish version.
But I also like very much the remake from David Fincher, second best.

That new one in the Spider's Web; I saw the trailer few months ago and I didn't think much of it.
And from the reviews they seem to agree with my first impression.
But without having seen the film my impression is worth no more than the trailer above.

Thx Jim because I will revisit the original trilogy for entertainment when the opportunity knocks @ the door. November is a good month for this movie genre. And after that I will go for the 2011 David Fincher's remake...for the music score, by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing