THE Greatest Coloratura Mezzo Soprano of all times?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Seen her live many times. One of my favorite albums of hers available on CD cheap is the vivaldi album.

She is older now and her voice live is not like her recorded stuff.

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Here she is singing from Riccardo Broschi "Son Qual Nave". The things she can do with her voice are out of this world almost imposible for the human voice but not imposible for Bartoli. I think it is circa 2010, confirmation needed... where she also sang a lot of Handel.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Currently Magdalena kozena is my favorite mezzo. She is married to Rattle so performs in London often now that he has taken over at the LSO.

But she did not so seem so much into colorata. Bartoli was fabulous at it.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Bartoli has (had) an incredible coloratura for a mezzo. She never had a really big voice, so recordings or smaller venues were perfect to display her prodigious talents.

Larry

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Had a brief appreciative but only occasional musical fling with Ms Bartoli back in the early 90’s with the obligatory Arie Antiche and her recordings of Mozart Arias. Some lovely stuff but not something I’ve returned to often. I tend to listen to operas occasionally and so listening to a single artist program of classical vocal music is less of a priority (although I could always make space for an evening Das lied von der Erde fest with Dame Janet Baker most any time or even an album of Bryn Terfel singing some romantic British tunes). So much music, so little time.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
As someone who studied voice I appreciate her incredible skill, but it is not been a voice I have personally warmed to, just me I guess, and she sings a lot of period music that’s not to my personal tastes, but yes amazing technique

To me the technique is in front of the beauty of the voice

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As someone who studied voice I appreciate her incredible skill, but it is not been a voice I have personally warmed to, just me I guess, and she sings a lot of period music that’s not to my personal tastes, but yes amazing technique

To me the technique is in front of the beauty of the voice

I love the lesser known period arias she sings and makes popular.

I agree her technique is fantastic. I like her recorded voice too

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One surprise birthday present my gf bought for me was a trip to Zurich to watch, at the opera haus, Le comte Ory, a Rossini opera that starred Bartoli. This was iirc early 2016

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes it’s fascinating what appeals to us
I am glad you enjoy her voice and musical choices , that what it’s all about

Plus, hearing people live as you have gives a different perspective to what the voice really sounds like
Consider my comments in that light having never heard her live

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
My favorite mezzo soprano is Elina Garanca. Here she is singing Habanera from Carmen. We’ve seen her at the Met many times.

Enjoy,
Ken

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing