The "Like" Button

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The availability of, and the use of, a "Like" indication is ubiquitous across social media platforms. What does it really mean?

In some ways it is fun, and in other ways I think it is problematic. I think that when each of us sees that someone else has "liked" a post, we project onto the meaning of that "like" indication whatever is our idiosyncratic thought about the substance of the post. I think this sometimes misinterprets the reason the post was "liked."

There have been numerous times when people privately asked me: "How in the world could you 'like' that post?"

Was the post "liked" because the member liked every single thing written in the post?

Was the post "liked" because the member liked one of several things written in the post?

Was the post "liked" because the member thought the post was well-written or well-reasoned even though the member substantively disagreed with everything in the post?

I think each of us should be circumspect about interpreting someone else's "like" of a post and assuming the reason someone "likes" a post.

I, personally, use the "like" button for a wide variety of reasons. If another member "liked" over a period of time the same posts I "liked," I would be utterly unable to understand or to reconcile the reasons such other member liked those particular posts.

Sometimes I "like" a post because I agree with everything in the post.

Sometimes I "like" a post because there is one small thing in the post that I agree with, even though I disagree with everything else in the post.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with simply because I want to applaud an introverted member for having the courage to write any post at all.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with simply because I want to recognize a new member for writing his/her first post.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with substantively solely because the post, on its own terms, is well-written or well-reasoned.

Sometimes I "like" a post solely for the reason that I want to help draw attention to the topic.

How do you use the "Like" button?

What meaning do you intend to convey when you "like" a post?

Last edited:

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
The availability of, and the use of, a "Like" indication is ubiquitous across social media platforms. What does it really mean?

In some ways it is fun, and in other ways I think it is problematic. I think that when each of us sees that someone else has "liked" a post, we project onto the meaning of that "like" indication whatever is our idiosyncratic thought about the substance of the post. I think this sometimes misinterprets the reason the post was "liked."

There have been numerous times when people privately asked me: "How in the world could you 'like' that post?"

Was the post "liked" because the member liked every single thing written in the post?

Was the post "liked" because the member liked one of several things written in the post?

Was the post "liked" because the member thought the post was well-written or well-reasoned even though the member substantively disagreed with everything in the post?

I think each of us should be circumspect about interpreting someone else's "like" of a post and assuming the reason someone "likes" a post.

I, personally, use the "like" button for a wide variety of reasons. If another member "liked" over a period of time the same posts I "liked," I would be utterly unable to understand or to reconcile the reasons such other member liked those particular posts.

Sometimes I "like" a post because I agree with everything in the post.

Sometimes I "like" a post because there is one small thing in the post that I agree with, even though I disagree with everything else in the post.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with simply because I want to applaud an introverted member for having the courage to write any post at all.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with simply because I want to recognize a new member for writing his/her first post.

Sometimes I "like" a post I totally disagree with substantively solely because the post, on its own terms, is well-written or well-reasoned.

Sometimes I "like" a post solely for the reason that I want to help draw attention to the topic.

I'm not sure I've ever thought about why I press the like button in this or any other forum before ... maybe for me its an emotional response in some way especially in the photographic forums I visit ...

So ... Thanks man! Now every time I ever think about pressing the Like button again anywhere ... I'm going to get stuck going through your post in my head trying to determine what meaning I'm trying to convey ... I may never like again as I'm not sure I have that many brain cells left! :cool:

George

rando

Sep 22, 2019

I underuse.
That stated, relieving ably denominated [unquoted] tensions outweighs any ulterior motivation between those who understand each other perfectly.

Essentially you are assessing digital worth. The worth of attaining one or more emoji beyond that assessed or perceived through written responses directly attributable. There is none. Any worth exists solely within the receiving party no matter how broadly liking of content proliferated or is wiped away by removal of this system.

The assignable worth appears to be administrative in character. Per the demonstrative samples provided. Much as your agreeable statement on a BH neighborhood virtual meeting point lacking coherence and togetherness fostered a personal wish to administer better relations. In this regard I suggest the best course will present itself for those who seek it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Reid

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think the “like” button is about issuing points, trophies, and ranking members as much as it is about enabling a member to quickly and simply acknowledge agreement with the post. It gives the appearance of activity in the “latest activity” tab. It is a technique to promote use and activity and increase eyeballs and clicks. It helps with the numbers which helps with getting the advertisers. It contributes to the monetization of this website.

It is an interesting social indicator. Members of the various factions support each other by using the “like”button. When people share a particular point of view and support each other’s postings, they are viewed as a cult or tribe. These groups argue against each other and that creates drama and more interest and more eyeballs and more clicks.

It’s a very strange thing, and personally I increasingly dislike the practice which seems so ubiquitous these days. I would be surprised if the owners ever reconsider. It seems to function as intended.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I regard it as bit of a space saver.
Instead of hitting the reply button I can just hit like.
It usually means I agree or have no rebuttal.

Last edited:

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I do enjoy/get a charge when an industry leader responds to my posts with the like button :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and bonzo75

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
If I enjoy a post, for whatever reason, then I may hit the "like" emoji. It's a way of saying thank you for posting that, there was something in that post that I enjoyed, or agreed with. It is simpler than responding via a reply. I'm lazy that way.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the “like” button is about issuing points, trophies, and ranking members as much as it is about enabling a member to quickly and simply acknowledge agreement with the post. It gives the appearance of activity in the “latest activity” tab. It is a technique to promote use and activity and increase eyeballs and clicks. It helps with the numbers which helps with getting the advertisers. It contributes to the monetization of this website.

It is an interesting social indicator. Members of the various factions support each other by using the “like”button. When people share a particular point of view and support each other’s postings, they are viewed as a cult or tribe. These groups argue against each other and that creates drama and more interest and more eyeballs and more clicks.

It’s a very strange thing, and personally I increasingly dislike the practice which seems so ubiquitous these days. I would be surprised if the owners ever reconsider. It seems to function as intended.

Yeah i agree .
i think i prefer how it was before actually , without all those likes / dislikes etc

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ron, Peter… do you intellectualize everything? My goodness!

A lot of my likes are simply because something in the post made me smile or chuckle to myself. lots of other reasons too.

Last edited:

Skanda

May 2, 2020
Ron, this reminds me of an "article" (a very strong word to use here) I read recently about how zoomers feel the thumbs up emoji is passive agressive and borderline rude. Its a funny interpretation and now the connotation with which I use it lol

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, Peter… do you intellectualize everything? My goodness!

An lot of my likes are simply because something in the post made me smile or chuckle to myself. lots of other reasons too.

I don't know Bob. Sometimes it seems that way here. Very little intellectualizing when I am relaxed listening to records at home. There it is all emotionalizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ron, this reminds me of an "article" (a very strong word to use here) I read recently about how zoomers feel the thumbs up emoji is passive agressive and borderline rude. Its a funny interpretation and now the connotation with which I use it lol

Great, another round of ridiculous zoomer bashing. Grumpy old people.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I don't know Bob. Sometimes it seems that way here. Very littling intellectualizing when I am relaxed listening to records at home. Then it is all emotionalizing.
May be i ll also join the Lamm camp somewhere this year .
A Lamm 1.2 ref (but i will be keeping the tubes as well )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing