The Noble Sound

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I can't use " Nat__l" sound that is already taken and has become controversial . LOL.

I had occasion to test some tubes in my Marantz model 2 mono blocks and threw the system together with a quick sub for the main everyday units that comprise the 3 box Io and custom Direct drive amp for the Beveridge's.

Honestly, I know the ESL are bandwidth limited and play a small window - however, what have we gained in 6o years? The Marantz consolettes and Model 2 amps with Quads have a midrange purity and totally engaging presentation you can listen to for hours. Used with tape , this is a killer combo.

For fun I threw the Wyetech Topaz on which, remarkably, drives the ESL to quite a mesmerizing purity. All components have been upgraded to be reliable and stable .. the ESLs are really remarkable when properly rebuilt. I could sell it all and just keep these pieces. They're a riot.

Attachments

• IMG_0098 (002).jpg
    IMG_0098 (002).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 10
  • wyetech&quads .jpg
    wyetech&quads .jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: ddk and dan31

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
This reminds me of where I am with using headphones. The Seenheiser HD600 and HD650 might be older designs but they got it right the first time. Pushing the limits in drivers does not usually give a good result.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing