The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
As much as I respect your opinion, it falls under the "I only listen to the old style music" category LOL. Which I have zero issue with, Gavin and the like are part of the newer generation of drummers. I mean Gavin is not too young either, he is 55, but easily plays well below his age IMO. Gavin is very talented, his triplets and ghost hits are some of the best and his cymbal playing is some of the best, although Portnoy is really good there too. What I like about Gavin is he sounds huge, fast and musical without beating the krapp out of his kit, there is a calm flow.
And yea he was awesome with King Crimson when we saw them couple yrs ago.

For sure when you listen to older music of Yes, KC and even some of the live performances with Genesis, Bruford was a talented musician, I like him quite a lot. But he is part of a music scene that is over 45+yrs now, time to listen to the new drummers.

And that's where you're wrong. I listen to plenty of new and old music, prog or otherwise. I happen to like the older drummers, as they were simply more distinctive than the current crop. I can recognize a Phil Collins track within seconds, same for Bonham, Bruford, Moon, Peart, etc.
I have no problem with Gavin in PT, and enjoy the albums very much. If he was the only drummer in KC, that might've been OK too. But the current setup with 3 drummers is gimmicky, and doesn't work.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Well it certainly came across that you had no respect or liking of Gavin Harrison and most that don't is due to limited listening to newer progressive type rock, you even said: "Gavin Harrison? Oh please... I don't get what people hear in his playing, it's just boring, standard, run of the mill. He worked fine for Porcupine Tree, as that was somewhat simple music."

IDC if you like him or not but now it seems back and forth'ish as how you feel about his playing...

King Crimson music is very complex, and I for one can see what Fripp is doing with the multiple drummers as they add texture and many layers of rhythm. In a live setting it comes across pretty powerful, at least for me it does.

Good conversations...thanks

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Can~Ege Bamyasi

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Peter Gabriel~IV
45RPM, Half Speed Remastered

Reactions: PierreB and Skylab

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well it certainly came across that you had no respect or liking of Gavin Harrison and most that don't is due to limited listening to newer progressive type rock, you even said: "Gavin Harrison? Oh please... I don't get what people hear in his playing, it's just boring, standard, run of the mill. He worked fine for Porcupine Tree, as that was somewhat simple music."

IDC if you like him or not but now it seems back and forth'ish as how you feel about his playing...

King Crimson music is very complex, and I for one can see what Fripp is doing with the multiple drummers as they add texture and many layers of rhythm. In a live setting it comes across pretty powerful, at least for me it does.

Good conversations...thanks

I know the type, dismissive folks who'll buy the 100th reissue of "In the court", but won't investigate any of the more obscure prog bands, old or new. It's a pity, and I'm definitely not in that camp, my 20k+ albums or so are here to prove it :)

I've bought a few of the recent live albums, and I saw KC live recently in San Diego, and it didn't change my perception that the 3 drummers is just a gimmick. Doesn't add anything, and in most songs, detract a lot.

Bad drumming is something that bothers me a lot. Unfortunately, there's a lot of new(-ish) prog bands with extremely poor drummers, or worse, drum machines. This is a tremendous turn off for me.

Are you familiar with La Maschera di Cera? This is an italian band from the early 2000s, that showed up pretending to be the 2nd coming of the great italian symphonic prog of the 70s. They surely put down an effort, with thick Rickenbackers, vintage sounding synths... and possibly the most boring, plodding drumming this side of Charlie Watts...

OTOH, you have a band like Anglagard, that, back in 1992, single-handedly brought prog back from the dead. These guys nailed the 70s prog sound, mixing all the right influences, and bringing it forward, with respect and reverence. While they do sound derivative, there's enough invention and creativity to make them distinctive, and not merely a pastiche.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I know the type, dismissive folks who'll buy the 100th reissue of "In the court", but won't investigate any of the more obscure prog bands, old or new. It's a pity, and I'm definitely not in that camp, my 20k+ albums or so are here to prove it :)

I've bought a few of the recent live albums, and I saw KC live recently in San Diego, and it didn't change my perception that the 3 drummers is just a gimmick. Doesn't add anything, and in most songs, detract a lot.

Bad drumming is something that bothers me a lot. Unfortunately, there's a lot of new(-ish) prog bands with extremely poor drummers, or worse, drum machines. This is a tremendous turn off for me.

Are you familiar with La Maschera di Cera? This is an italian band from the early 2000s, that showed up pretending to be the 2nd coming of the great italian symphonic prog of the 70s. They surely put down an effort, with thick Rickenbackers, vintage sounding synths... and possibly the most boring, plodding drumming this side of Charlie Watts...

OTOH, you have a band like Anglagard, that, back in 1992, single-handedly brought prog back from the dead. These guys nailed the 70s prog sound, mixing all the right influences, and bringing it forward, with respect and reverence. While they do sound derivative, there's enough invention and creativity to make them distinctive, and not merely a pastiche.

I love Anglagard, first 3 albums are fantastic! I have tried for years to get into Italian prog, it has nothing to do with the singing just never resonates much with me. I have some CDs and several records by PFM, Le Orme and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, I do admit the musicianship is very good......I prefer Germany.....Long live CAN!!!

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
IQ~The Road of Bones
MPO pressing/Cut at SST Bruggemann GmbH

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
David Gilmour~Rattle That Lock
Columbia 88875123291 (2015)
Cut by BGrundman/Mastered by James Guthrie and Joel Plante

Reactions: Skylab

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Porcupine Tree~Deadwing
KSCOPE 982 (2018)
Remastered/Mixed by Steven Wilson
Optimal Media GmbH Pressing

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
VdGG~Pawn Hearts

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Pink Floyd~The Dark Side Of the Moon
Harvest SHVL 804 (1973/2003)
Doug Sax, Kevin Gray Mastered/30th Anniversary Issue

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is the first time that I have looked at this thread. Ron has done an encyclopedic job in explaining prog rock, especially to someone like me who knows just about nothing about the subject. This past year I have started engaging in some serious trading of tapes (15ips 2 track) with different collectors. Although my main interest is classical music, most of them have non-classical as their main interest, so I have acquired a large number of these genres of music, well over 100 reels.

From Ron's essays and other postings, I think these would qualify for the prog rock categories. The advantage to these are that they are 15ips 2 track copies of master tapes or copies of copies, done with high quality professional machines, about 4 to 6 generations closer to the master tape than a typical vinyl pressing.

Led Zeppelin - LZ1, LZ2, LZ3, LZ4, House of Holy, Physical Graffiti
Pink Floyd - The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason (in addition my safety master collection has DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, The Wall Live in Berlin)
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Renaissance - Novella, Scheherazade and Other Stories, Prologue, Ashes are Burning, Turn of the Cards, A Song for All Seasons
Genesis - Abacab, Genesis
Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Eye in the Sky, I Robot, Turn of a Friendly Card
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Later, Pink Moon
Steely Dan - Aja (in addition in my safety master collection Katy Lied)
Moody Blues - Days of Futures Passed, To Our Children's Children's Children, Seventh Sojourn
ELO - Messages
Yes - Fragile

I may have missed these artists in the thread - not sure whether they are prog rock.
Dire Straits - Dire Straits, Love Over Gold, Brothers in Arms, Communique, Making Movies, On Every Street
Fleetwood Mac - Mystery to Me (also have in my safety master collection - Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk)
Christine McVie - Christine Perfect
Stevie Nicks - ( in my safety master collection Bella Donna)
The Who (in my safety master collection - Tommy, Who's Next)

Now I have to start listening to most of these.

Larry

I am finding these categories and subcategories confusing. Of course we can define things as we wish and develop categories and subcategories based on those definitions.

But why would the music on an album like Fleetwood Mac by Fleetwood Mac be categorized as anything other than "pop"?

I thought Led Zeppelin was categorized as "classic rock"? Am I being too simple about this?

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
The problem with progressive rock is the un-ending subgenres......less can be better and simpler. I hate the term "classic rock", I mean LZ is what it is cause at the time there was no "classic rock", so why label them this now?
Honestly to me LZ is a blues band with serious attitude and distorted guitar, but simple hard rock works too.

Reactions: Johnny Vinyl

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
The Pineapple Thief~Someone Here Is Missing
KSCOPE 811 (2010)
Mastered at 360Mastering/Optimal Media Pressing

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The problem with progressive rock is the un-ending subgenres......less can be better and simpler. I hate the term "classic rock", I mean LZ is what it is cause at the time there was no "classic rock", so why label them this now?
. . .

Excellent point! (I knew my question was going to get me into trouble!)

Reactions: Catcher10

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interestingly, LZ is considered by many professional musicians as a blues band.
Their roots were almost entirely in the blues, as were many other musicians from the Brit invasion....The Rolling Stones as another example.
The latest albums from the Stones are some classic blues covers...and show how very talented the guys are in that genre.

Reactions: Johnny Vinyl

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Steven Wilson~To The Bone
Caroline Intl CAROL016LP (2017)
Mastered at Metropolis/Optimal Media Pressing
45RPM

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
CAN~Soundtracks
UA Records UAS 29283 (1973)
UK pressing

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Marillion~Fugazi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing