The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

Transatlantic is a relatively new group to me, and their new album Kaleidoscope comes with a bonus CD of covers ( as is becoming usual for them) which is simply a gas! Both this and Whirlwind (their previous album) are highly recommended.

Transatlantic is a relatively new group to me, and their new album Kaleidoscope comes with a bonus CD of covers ( as is becoming usual for them) which is simply a gas! Both this and Whirlwind (their previous album) are highly recommended.

Transatlantic has been one of my favorite bands for years. If you like Kaleidoscope, check out their early releases. Bridge Across Forever is brilliant. SMPTe is fantastic.

This is a band just gushing with individual talent. They are considered a super group since each member came from such highly regarded prog bands, i.e., Neal Morse from Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt from The Flower Kings, Pete Trewavas from Marillion and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

Saw them a few years ago on The Whirlwind tour. Played the 45 minute song straight through, no interruptions. Standing ovation. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

I'll be seeing them again in 6 days in San Francisco as they begin their Kaleidoscope tour. The new album is fun; not as good as The Whirlwind but still quite enjoyable.

More like the 77-78 minute song; it fills a CD, either studio or live. I have a couple of their live albums with material from the first two studio albums on them.

Yes, of course, you are right. I meant to type 75 minutes; I don't know why I typed 45. I better use the preview post button in the future.

I drop into this thread from time to time, but you guys have long since gone past my knowledge of classic Prog, which is pretty much limited to Yes, Genesis, Crimso, Tull, etc. I'm wondering, though, there is a wave of younger bands that, while they sound nothing like the Prog of the past, definitely have the melodic and instrumental experimentation going on. The Decemberists come to mind, and really pushing it, since they added Nels Cline...is Wilco Prog?

Tim

They do try, with some long-ish tracks :) But no, I don't consider them prog, just good rock, with avant/experimental edge.

If you want to hear a full blown prog band of recent vintage, try these guys, Astra. Based in San Diego, no less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgqFolEqUpQ

alexandre

I would not call Decemberists, Nels Cline or Wilco anything close to Prog. Wilco is alt-country/alt-rock, Nels Cline is jazz fusion when not with Wilco, and the Decemberists are alt-folk, if anything. OTOH, a band like Transatlantic certainly sounds a lot like early Genesis or Yes to me...

I would not call Decemberists, Nels Cline or Wilco anything close to Prog. Wilco is alt-country/alt-rock, Nels Cline is jazz fusion when not with Wilco, and the Decemberists are alt-folk, if anything. OTOH, a band like Transatlantic certainly sounds a lot like early Genesis or Yes to me...

Figured as much. I guess I'm looking for a handle for them. I've got a good friend who argues that Wilco is Americana. Given that Americana is so broad it embraces Richard Thompson, I guess, but I'm not sure there has been much about Wilco that's "country," alt or otherwise, in a long time. Great band, whatever they are.

Tim

Yes, these days I'd call Wilco just plain alt-rock; not pop enough to be straight 2013 rock, not really folk enough to be Americana IMO, and they left their alt-country roots behind way back in 2001 or so.

Tim, there are so many prog bands carrying the torch. Transatlantic definitely is one. Try The Flower Kings' Space Revolver. Early Marillion: Script For A Jester's Tear is the best Genesis album that Genesis didn't perform. Echolyn's As The World. Try Änglagård's Hybris: a masterpiece. Just too many to name.

Yep. Those bands have virtually nothing in common with prog.

Here's Harmonium's first album....

Extremely overdue, last month Peter Gabriel (my avatar) was inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame. HBO will be showing the related concert and induction ceremony tomorrow, and I've no doubt it will be shown many other days and times over the ensuing couple of weeks.

Here is a portion of Peter Gabriel's speech:

"So I’m saying to all those people now at the start of that journey: that if you’re exploring making music and looking at us old-timers getting our decorations, I say two things: dream big, and let your imagination guide you, even if you end up dressing up as a flower or a sexually transmitted disease. They may think it’s a little strange. They may laugh at you, but just do it.

Secondly, surround yourself with brilliance — the brilliance of who you love being around and the brilliance of their talent. I’ve worked with so many amazing people through these years, and you can see from the musicians I have on the stage with me, I’m surrounded by great — and have always been — by great musicians, including some of the world’s greatest drummers which, as an aspiring drummer, has been a real thrill.

But, in the end, the core of what you are and where you are is where your heart is, and those who you love and those who love you.

Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy."

Extremely overdue, last month Peter Gabriel (my avatar) was inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame. HBO will be showing the related concert and induction ceremony tomorrow, and I've no doubt it will be shown many other days and times over the ensuing couple of weeks.

Here is a portion of Peter Gabriel's speech:

"So I’m saying to all those people now at the start of that journey: that if you’re exploring making music and looking at us old-timers getting our decorations, I say two things: dream big, and let your imagination guide you, even if you end up dressing up as a flower or a sexually transmitted disease. They may think it’s a little strange. They may laugh at you, but just do it.

Secondly, surround yourself with brilliance — the brilliance of who you love being around and the brilliance of their talent. I’ve worked with so many amazing people through these years, and you can see from the musicians I have on the stage with me, I’m surrounded by great — and have always been — by great musicians, including some of the world’s greatest drummers which, as an aspiring drummer, has been a real thrill.

But, in the end, the core of what you are and where you are is where your heart is, and those who you love and those who love you.

Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy."

Nice!

Love that man.

Swimming! I go swimming!:D

Well deserved indeed. PG has been one of the most innovative and creative musical talents the art of music has ever seen. He doesn't rest on his laurels and moves forward with every opportunity.

Wait a sec... this is a PROG ROCK thread, on WBF at that.

Wow. I'm a huge prog rock fan. How has this thread eluded me until now?

There some music in here that I've never heard of and since I'm always looking for new prog rock that's very exciting. Most of what I find I don't like, but the stuff that I do like makes it all worth it!

Wait a sec... this is a PROG ROCK thread, on WBF at that.

Wow. I'm a huge prog rock fan. How has this thread eluded me until now?

There some music in here that I've never heard of and since I'm always looking for new prog rock that's very exciting. Most of what I find I don't like, but the stuff that I do like makes it all worth it!

Really happy you found the thread and Ron is our resident Prog Rock expert. I've learned so much from him and discovered new bands I otherwise never knew even existed. I'm a huge fan myself with a special affinity for Quebec-based Folk-Prog.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the intimate discussion of the genre....I've now listened to numerous albums (Genesis, Yes, Tull, King Crimson) and while its not for me, I really appreciate the dialogue. I have learned a lot!

Cheers

Just wanted to thank you guys for the intimate discussion of the genre....I've now listened to numerous albums (Genesis, Yes, Tull, King Crimson) and while its not for me, I really appreciate the dialogue. I have learned a lot!

Cheers

Great post KeithR!

All we can really do as music fans is to give a specific genre a shot, as opposed to dismissing it outright. You took the time to discover it and found it wasn't your thing....nothing wrong with that at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing