The Puritan PSM156

After receiving the PCM156 this week, I can say definitively it works well with Grimm MU2 which honestly I did not expect. Really good. Immediately cleans up a layer of grunge you didn’t know was there. Makes performers more present. Allows you to hear musicians individual parts more clearly. The imaging gets more distinct and solid. Bass gets more textured tight and resolved. 3D localization is more than i’ve ever had in any system. Now you can track precisely imaging in space with the electronic music I like to listen to and hear vertical and depth detail. Stuff like Chocolate Chip Trip from Tool was revelatory - they put a lot more in there than I ever knew! Contemplating the upgrade to statement PC and ground city but things are so good right now I honestly don't see the point. Curious how it will do with the M10X and my Synergisic Research switch now For reference, I've owned Denali V2 and Everest conditioners as well.

The Ultimate power cable is a definite step up over the classic, although the Classic is no slouch compared to other expensive brand cables

If one uses a isolation transformer such as an Equi-Tech or a Torus, and then one plugs a Puritan into the Equi-Tech or the Torus, what noise is left for the Puritan to operate upon?

I've replaced the generic wall outlet which the Puritan 156 connected to with a FURUTECH FT-SWS NCF,
and if I'm not imaging things there's a noticeable improvement!

I'm still with the basic power cable and thinking to upgrade to the puritan ultimate,
but I'm seeing people got great results with high-end stealth audio, Shunyata cables.

Could it be just an overkill and the ultimate cable should suffice?

what noise is left for the Puritan to operate upon?
One possible explanation. In some environments, It can be difficult to hear the inherent background noise until you insert another noise reduction device resulting in further noise floor drop. Can be very challenging to quantify until it is gone.

Last edited:
A recent review (URL below) of the passive Puritan 156, including objective measurements.
Apparently, there's measurable leakage between the purportedly "isolated" outlets, plus it doesn't handle stray DC well.

Separately, this objective test (see YouTube video) on the PS Audio PowerPlant 12 is a great comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juiced

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing