Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
https://www.audiostream.com/content/show-2019-esoteric-and-von-schweikert

T.H.E. Show 2019: Esoteric and Von Schweikert
Rafe Arnott | Jun 18, 2019
190618-Esoteric-3.jpg
Sometimes you walk into a room and you just know you’re going to be impressed by the sound of the high-fidelity equipment curated for listening.

You’ve heard some of the gear previously, or in a different combination and been wowed, so there’s expectation.
190618-Esoteric-1.jpg
The Esoteric and Von Schweikert room at T.H.E. Show with its impressive array of electronics and loudspeakers was one such room. The footprint of the setup and the fact they decided to use a standard-size room to display it speaks to the confidence level of those showing the gear, and having heard previous iterations in a much larger room I can attest to its pressurization abilities.
190618-Esoteric-2.jpg
The setup under discussion was the all-new (North American debut at AXPONA earlier this year) all-digital front end and pre/power combo of the Esoteric Grandioso P1X Transport (new VRDS SACD ATLAS transport mechanism $50,000 USD), N-03T Network Audio Transport ($11,000 USD), Grandioso G1 Rubidium Master Clock ($26,000 USD), Grandioso D1X Monoblock DAC (new 64-bit architecture, ES-LINK4 ultra-wide bandwidth communication $50,000 USD/Pair), Grandioso C1 Linestage Preamp ($38,000 USD), Grandioso S1 Power Amp (150 watts/eight Ohms, 300 watts/four Ohms $27,000 USD), and the Von Schweikert Audio Endeavor E-5 MKII loudspeakers (frequency response: eight Ohms, 24Hz~40KHz (+/- 2dB), 140 lbs each $40,000 USD/Pair).
190618-Esoteric-6.jpg
”Slam” is what I have at the top of my notes from the room, followed by “bass extension, power dynamics and life-like tonality.” I go on and discuss the tangibility of the playback and the system’s excellent timbral translational abilities which made it easy to discern differences between wood-bodied instruments like violins and cellos. Bass pluck and guitar finger-picking were clearly defined and the detail never got lost in the big picture of the performances. Overall, more to the lean, rather than the rich side sonically speaking, this was nevertheless coherent, musical, lifelike with in-the-room human scale and presence and excellent spatial sound stage placements to artists that changed from recording to recording.
190618-Esoteric-4.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
E5 Mk2s in Sunset Orange Please. I got a show to prep for. :)

Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing