The SW1X DAC III SPX - Please Listen

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
SW1X DAC III SPX This is the unit that was sent to the Pacific Audio Fest and recorded this evening after its return.
If you were there, you may know that it did not end up being played in our room due to an interaction with another piece of equipment that may itself have been damaged. Rest assured that the DAC remained in perfect condition after being shipped twice.

Club For Five, Brothers In Arms

If you missed hearing it there, here's your chance. Headphones are best. You will hear the room sound. Thanks.

Last edited:

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
SW1X DAC III SPX - Come Together, Brian Bromberg

Headphones are best. You will hear the room sound. Thanks.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Heard this dac in the Sonner Audio room at Pacific Audio Fest. One of the best sounds at the show for me.

Last edited:

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Great to hear this and that you had the opportunity to listen to the SW1X DAC.

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
I invite forum members to come hear what is going on with this equipment. If you happen to be in the S.F. Bay Area please get in touch. I think you find it to be a unique experience.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I invite forum members to come hear what is going on with this equipment. If you happen to be in the S.F. Bay Area please get in touch. I think you find it to be a unique experience.
Hi Joe,
I’m in E. Bay. I’m intrigued, but a little confused about the SW1X offering. Do they offer a phono stage, a DAC, full-function preamp, or either/both/all of the above? PM me.
Evan

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Joe Cohen

What is the set-up upstream to the DAC?
Thx

Matt

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
A Sony SCD-1 CD player is used as a transport to feed the DAC. The SPDIF Cable is a PranaWire Nirvana. The Transport and DAC are both sitting on prototype PranaWire Dantien Footers. Thanks.

Reactions: matthias

Zulu

Sep 25, 2021
I'm listening to the DAC III SPX as we speak. It delivers a relaxing and warm sound. Totally different than the DAC II SPX which has a more upfront sound. I like the DAC III SPX more, but then again it depends on the rest of your system.

Reactions: Joe Cohen

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
I'm listening to the DAC III SPX as we speak. It delivers a relaxing and warm sound. Totally different than the DAC II SPX which has a more upfront sound. I like the DAC III SPX more, but then again it depends on the rest of your system.
Interesting perspective. I have both the DAC II SPX and DAC III SPX. Will have to listen to them side by side by SONDHEIM

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
The DAC II has active I/V conversion which gives a more dynamic and upfront sound. The DAC III has passive I/V conversion which is more nuanced and transparent. The DAC II Balanced will deliver the maximum in dynamics and transparency, but is more expensive than the basic DAC III Standard. It would be an ideal DAC for rock music.

Reactions: Zulu

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing