The Truth About Marijuana: Health Risks Trivialized (Op-Ed)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum, Lenox Hill Hospital, Live Science

Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum is an attending cardiologist and the director of Women's Heart Health of Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City and has been featured on "The Early Show," "The Doctors," "Good Morning America," "20/20" and other TV programs. She recently released her book, "Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum's Heart Book: Every Woman's Guide to a Heart Healthy Life" (Avery, 2014) and is the host of "Focus on Health," a weekly magazine news show spotlighting health topics, seen on WLNY-TV. Steinbaum contributed this article to Live Science's Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights.

In this new era of marijuana legalization, the information delivered to the public often extols the benefits of cannabis, with its seemingly magical properties. Much of the literature implies, or blatantly states, that this substance has been withheld, wrongly, from the public and that people have been missing out on its many amazing benefits. But the public isn't getting the full story, and as states continue to consider marijuana legalization, lawmakers and the public should have all the facts.

First, marijuana can be damaging to your heart. In fact, a study released today (April 23) by the Journal of the American Heart Association revealed a correlation between cardiovascular disease and cannabis use in regular marijuana users.

Cannabis use was identified as a trigger for ischemic stroke, third only to tobacco smoking and cocaine use, the study found.

In the European risk analysis, the Systematic Coronary Risk Evaluation (SCORE) system — which measures risk factors for heart attack — included not only obesity, sedentary lifestyle, age, elevated cholesterol and smoking, but also cannabis smoking.

This finding is troubling, because information like this has not been part of the discussion on marijuana legalization thus far, and when health issues come up, they are often trivialized by the pro-marijuana lobby. People often see marijuana as a "healthy drug" or a "natural drug," and some people even claim it can cure disease, not to mention treat pain, decrease nausea and increase appetite. Of course, marijuana does benefit some people who have these issues. But we need to step back, take a breath and consider the big picture.

Another important concern is that with the legalization of any drug comes the potential for the abuse of it — and I'm not talking about abuse by the people who have the prescription for it or for whom it was intended (although we all know this can happen, too). This has already happened with narcotics such as oxycodone: According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, approximately 100,000 people per year are hospitalized in the United States due to misuse of oxycodone. Of course, this drug is beneficial for those in severe pain, and its use has improved the quality of life for these people. But that doesn't erase the fact that abuse rates and death rates due to this drug have skyrocketed. But for those who use the drug recreationally, the risks far outweigh the benefits of a temporary high.

Does this potential for abuse exist with marijuana? Maybe, maybe not. But it's important that we ask the right questions and present the facts about marijuana.

The aforementioned study was conducted by the French CEIP Addictovigilance network, which has studied the health effects of marijuana. This group of 13 centers assesses and gathers information regarding addiction or abuse to psychoactive substances, and monitors the abuse and dependence of psychoactive drugs and their impact on public health, to prevent harmful outcomes and control drug distribution. Although 95 percent of the complications due to drug use are not captured in this data, the link to cardiovascular disease was clear: The death rate due to cardiovascular disease from marijuana use was as high as 25.6 percent.

The study participants' median age was just 34.5 years, and those who were regular marijuana users and had a family history of heart disease or other risk factors had an increase in the risk of heart disease, even when their other risk factors were taken into account. Of the 1,979 cases studied, 2 percent had cardiovascular complications, with 20 of those being heart attacks. There were also 3 strokes and 10 cases of peripheral arterial disease. Considering that in France, 1.2 million people use marijuana regularly, this small window offers a glimpse into the potential future.

As a preventative cardiologist, my goal is to always understand how to prevent cardiovascular disease and to help people assess lifestyle issues that contribute to its development. I look for markers that indicate risk, and modalities that could potentially reverse or prevent an event manifesting inside the arteries of my patients. The last thing we need is another risk factor to add to the list. Legalization might irreversibly affect the health of those who will now have easier access to something they see as harmless, when it is not. If we are moving toward what is happening in France, we need to consider that drug abuse is most common in the younger population, with 25 percent of users younger age 28.3 and younger. In the United States, kids are already struggling with obesity and diabetes. Marijuana would only add to those health concerns. The next generation seems to be setting themselves up to be the generation with the most heart disease yet.

The French study was small and imperfect. Many might disregard it for these reasons. However, it is a warning sign. Yes, let's consider that cannabis can help those who are sick, but let's also consider what will happen if kids can get it even more easily than they can right now. (Yes, it's already out there.) Perhaps we can look back on the history of drugs in America and what has happened when other substances were legalized. Let's get some perspective, and think not just about medical use but also about the inevitable abuse and effect on the country's health. The legalization of marijuana may sound alluring to many, but it might just be something that hits us in the heart.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think all paychoactive drugs should be legal or at least decriminalized. Totally apart from the societal costs of drug inderdiction, the stigma and illegality seriously impair adequate research and public education for the effects, side effects and dangers of currently illegal drugs. Just look at how long it has taken for us to discover what little we know about tobacco and alcohol, widely used and almost always legal. It would be astonishing if any substances that affect the way we feel don't have potentially serious adverse health consequences to go along with any benefits they may offer.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Since pot has been very widely used, even if in a hidden manner, since the 60s, there should be a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the premise.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Legal or not, those that want to smoke it...will. The premise that the number of users will increase because of legalization is nominal at best.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In the United States, kids are already struggling with obesity and diabetes. Marijuana would only add to those health concerns. The next generation seems to be setting themselves up to be the generation with the most heart disease yet.

Not necessarily doc. If smoking dope keeps the kiddos from stuffing their face with McDonalds the net "cardiovascular" impact is unknown..... It is well known that being high reduced appetite.....

There are so many variables here. If people in search of a high/intoxication substitute alcohol for dope, net aggression, assault and murder rates will go down. Trust me, I worked at the Bulldog in Amsterdam and the stuff mellows people out, while alcohol makes its consumers aggressive and more violent.

Perhaps we can look back on the history of drugs in America and what has happened when other substances were legalized. Let's get some perspective, and think not just about medical use but also about the inevitable abuse and effect on the country's health. The legalization of marijuana may sound alluring to many, but it might just be something that hits us in the heart.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. We know for a fact that marijuana is legal in the Netherlands, and usage among youngsters is far lower than it is in the USA.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm sure there are ill effects with the abuse of cannabis, just as there are health risks with the use of tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, etc. That doesn't mean the jails should be filled with Starbucks patrons.

Tim

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Looking at this site regarding heart disease, it appears more prevalent in conservative areas where one would assume pot use is lower, and less common in more liberal areas where one would assume pot use is higher. Of course, never assume anything, but it is a starting point.

"During 2007–2009, death rates due to heart disease were highest in the South and lowest in the West."

http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

Personally, I would worry more about diet and lack of exercise than marihuana use.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In this new era of marijuana legalization, the information delivered to the public often extols the benefits of cannabis, with its seemingly magical properties. Much of the literature implies, or blatantly states, that this substance has been withheld, wrongly, from the public and that people have been missing out on its many amazing benefits. But the public isn't getting the full story, and as states continue to consider marijuana legalization, lawmakers and the public should have all the facts.

While we're in the process of picking apart this post. This particular statement is of course complete and utter bogus. Rarely if ever do I hear anyone "extoling the benefits" of cannabis in the debate about legalization of marijuana for recreational use. The main argument offered for legalization are related to effectiveness of criminalization (which simply does not work, and has huge negative social consequences) and moral (the government has no business telling its citizens what substance it can legally ingest).

There is a whole different debate about marijuana use that includes analysis of cost benefits trade-off, which is the debate about medicinal use. Different issue altogether.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I believe more in the stress as the primary cause of cardiovascular problems (and some other health issues). I am a survivor on this disease, 14 years now. Of course a poor diet and lack of exercise do not help. When I changed my attitude, lowering the level of stress thanks to some Tai-Chi and light Yoga cured my cardiovascular problem. I also increased my hours of listening to music.

I've never been to Cannabis, but some friends who use it say they do only when they are very stressed (all the time?).

Coincidence of the use of Cannabis and stress (the latter being able to be the culprit)? I do not know.

Roch

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think all paychoactive drugs should be legal or at least decriminalized. Totally apart from the societal costs of drug inderdiction, the stigma and illegality seriously impair adequate research and public education for the effects, side effects and dangers of currently illegal drugs. Just look at how long it has taken for us to discover what little we know about tobacco and alcohol, widely used and almost always legal. It would be astonishing if any substances that affect the way we feel don't have potentially serious adverse health consequences to go along with any benefits they may offer.

:D Nice typo! :D

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
If it takes legalization (which I'm for) for more, better, and larger studies, that's a good thing. Let's get better info whether we might like it or not. Sounds as though there are few things so widely used with as little good data.

As with most such things including alcohol and sugar, I suspect findings may boil down to 'moderation is the key'.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
"One week from now all 'white bread" & 'whole milk' will be illegal. Anyone caught w

The USA spent Billions$ / in today's $ Trillions$ on medical research during the 1900's to try to prove health hazards to justify their laws.
Nothing significant was found & used!
I think most of the $$$ went through the tobacco company labs. Once there is Federal Legality, every major tobacco company will hit the market with their products.

??? Did I miss any Comments about this earlier ???

I would like to see the following Hoax: National news >>> "One week from now all 'white bread" & 'whole milk' will be illegal. Anyone caught with 'white bread" & "whole milk' will be subject to the following penalties" - etc. There should be filming crews outside of stores to document the immediate reaction.

zz.

Last edited:

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
there are negative aspects to using anything, even a plant, but the argument for maintaining the prohibition of cannabis because legalizing another drug will have too great of a negative social impact, is idiotic. whether its been legal or not, people in the US have been using it for well more than 200 years. ever since i've became aware of marijuana in the early 70's, anyone who's ever wanted to use it has had the opportunity to do so. its readily available now in almost every community and anyone who wants to use it now is already doing so. its already too far deeply entrenched in our society that prohibition serves no productive purpose (for our society).

Since pot has been very widely used, even if in a hidden manner, since the 60s, there should be a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the premise.

its hardly been hidden. i think any evidence goes well beyond anecdotal for people who have suffered from glaucoma, wasting syndrome, chemotherapy, nausea and pain. the beneficial effects of cannabis for these conditions have been common knowledge for decades.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing